• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No car - tips?

adamak

DIS Veteran
We're going back to Aulani next March for 4 nights, then onto Maui. This will be our 3rd to the resort and 5th to Oahu. So we've basically done all the touristy stuff. I prefer not to rent a car because (1) stress of driving during peak hours after long flight from NYC (2) no car at home, so no car insurance, although credit card should cover it (3) want to relax @ resort, and kid loves the water park. We'll have a kitchen, and will do some cooking for breakfast / lunch. Will try to rely on happy hours for early dinner in Monkey Pod and alike. We plan on using Charlie taxi to/from HNL.

Questions :
1. Has anyone tried to Uber to airport / Waikiki area? Reliable? How much?
2. The ABC store across the street, do they sell produce / meat / Poke? I only recalled they have cooked food.
3. Any grocery delivery service?
4. Some here reported that there is shuttle from Aulani to Waikiki shopping mall (Ala Moana?). I can't find any info on website. Discontinued maybe?

I know, I know. Help convince me that this is right decision! TIA.

It sounds like you have lots of good reasons to NOT have a car. There's plenty to do for that long without ever leaving Ko'Olina, especially since that's not your whole trip. We only left the resort for day trips to Pearl Harbor and the north shore. If you arent doing that stuff, I can see you really NOT needing it.

The ABC store definitely had poke and produce. They also had lots of cold grab and go stuff (salads, sandwiches, and meals) some to eat cold and some to be reheated. We enjoyed everything we had from there. Not sure about raw meat, but I know they had deli meats. No clue about delivery, but I know Pizza Corner has a delivery golf cart!! LOL

We did the tourist thing last trip as well so we’ve been only at aulani this go round. We didn’t rent a car, as we had pre arranged transportation thru the travel agency. However I looked into uber and it’s approximately $75 one way from the airport. Just looks this am. However you can use the app strategically to create new accounts and get discounts ;)

The poke from the ABC store is AMAZING. We’ve eaten it daily for the past three days since we’ve been here. Very affordable and just so fresh and delicious. They have boars head brand deli items, with a wide selection of pre made sandwiches. Again, very fairly priced. Aulani isn’t this way. Lol. They do have raw meat (not much of a selection) and aulani has the bbq station here on site. I honestly wouldn’t even mess with trying to cook out unless you’re here for a long while and want a variety. The deli at ABC has provided us with great food and a great selection for the days that we have been here. There is also a selection of fresh fruits and vegetables as well.

I haven’t heard anything about the shuttle to the shopping center or the grocery delivery service. But I would absolutely recommend not renting the car ($40 per night to park unless you’re DVC) and just hanging out close to the resort. There’s plenty to eat near by. And you’re paying high dollar for aulani so enjoy it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter