No more kids club reservations?

I suspect this policy is going to illicit all the strong emotions that resulted in the 3-12 open play concept in the first place.

Right before the shut down, people complained that their older kids didn’t care for the clubs because of all the little kids. Before that, people complained that their kids couldn’t be together.

No matter what the policy or the reason behind it, people are going to be upset about any age groupings in the clubs.

I suspect this policy is going to illicit all the strong emotions that resulted in the 3-12 open play concept in the first place.

Right before the shut down, people complained that their older kids didn’t care for the clubs because of all the little kids. Before that, people complained that their kids couldn’t be together.

No matter what the policy or the reason behind it, people are going to be upset about any age groupings in the clubs.

But at this point this is one of the worst and I honestly don't think it will last long.

Am deliberately not responding to any posts disputing the science behind Disney's Covid-19 rules, as that is directly contrary to disboards policy and will get this thread shut down.

No, I don't consider it reasonable in the slightest that my 7 year old and my 4 year old, who live together and routinely forget whose toothbrush is whose, can't play together in the kids club. Not even a little bit.
Then every other cruise line is unreasonable? Because Disney is highly unusual in having such a broad age range in a single club. On our princess cruise this summer, my 6 year old will be in a separate club space with very different activities than his 10 year old brothers. That's just their standard club setup--not Covid related.

It isn't reasonable, especially since all ages can mix during open house how is that really any different in the end?
Parents must supervise children at all times during open house, and make sure their kids are wearing masks in accordance with the club rules.

Am deliberately not responding to any posts disputing the science behind Disney's Covid-19 rules, as that is directly contrary to disboards policy and will get this thread shut down.

Then every other cruise line is unreasonable? Because Disney is highly unusual in having such a broad age range in a single club. On our princess cruise this summer, my 6 year old will be in a separate club space with very different activities than his 10 year old brothers. That's just their standard club setup--not Covid related.

Parents must supervise children at all times during open house, and make sure their kids are wearing masks in accordance with the club rules.

other cruise lines do it different sure, but they is not how disney has been for years and why many do choose it. Other cruise lines also have far less kids and how they do their clubs is known at booking so people Can choose if that is what they want from their vacation or not. Our last cruise our 4 yo would not go by himself only with his sister, so this would be a deal breaker for us. Sorry but most aren’t happy with it or the fact that disney isn’t spelling out the exact rules and how kids clubs are now online.

Sorry but most aren’t happy with it or the fact that disney isn’t spelling out the exact rules and how kids clubs are now online.
That's the problem. It's the horrible communication. If I weren't an active participant on these boards, I would have no clue that this policy was in place because they didn't bother to tell me. I'd show up on the ship, expecting one type of experience for my kids, and wouldn't have any idea what they were actually doing until we were pulling away from the Port of Miami. I sail in three weeks, and I have no recourse. If this were a dealbreaker for me, I'd be out thousands and thousands of dollars.

That's the problem. It's the horrible communication. If I weren't an active participant on these boards, I would have no clue that this policy was in place because they didn't bother to tell me. I'd show up on the ship, expecting one type of experience for my kids, and wouldn't have any idea what they were actually doing until we were pulling away from the Port of Miami. I sail in three weeks, and I have no recourse. If this were a dealbreaker for me, I'd be out thousands and thousands of dollars.

I am more then betting within 2-3 weeks they will just make masks mandatory for all ages in the kids clubs and let them all play.

I agree the communications could improve, but I also think it is wrong to make assumptions about anything these days. Many other cruisers this year have had far more drastic changes on their cruises than what they were expecting, and they too had “no recourse” when ports were dropped, kids clubs were closed, theater shows were cancelled. And not all of this was back in Dec/Jan: just recently, Jamaica stopped allowing 90 day recovered guests to disembark. And Remy brunch has been cancelled on all March cruises.

All I am trying to say is that you have to be flexible going on a cruise these days—you can’t go in, as you say “expecting one type of experience” because that is a recipe for disappointment.

I agree the communications could improve, but I also think it is wrong to make assumptions about anything these days. Many other cruisers this year have had far more drastic changes on their cruises than what they were expecting, and they too had “no recourse” when ports were dropped, kids clubs were closed, theater shows were cancelled. And not all of this was back in Dec/Jan: just recently, Jamaica stopped allowing 90 day recovered guests to disembark. And Remy brunch has been cancelled on all March cruises.

All I am trying to say is that you have to be flexible going on a cruise these days—you can’t go in, as you say “expecting one type of experience” because that is a recipe for disappointment.
See I just think that's poor customer service, regardless of the environment around the pandemic or anything like this. Any change to these types of policies should come with a grace period that allows you to cancel or reschedule without penalty, no matter where you are in your cancellation window.

It's like if I was willing to pay $100 for blue sneakers and $70 for yellow sneakers. I order some blue sneakers and pay them $100. They send me yellow sneakers without my consent but they still keep my $100. (Yes, I know technically I "consent" to all of this in my cruise contract. I'm not making a legal case that we should all sue DCL, I'm making a customer service case.)

I agree DCL should have communicated the change. Gotta admit this morning was the first I read about it either. That is something families would want to be prepared to know.

However, the age groupings for the Club/Lab have been a source of debate and discussion for years. Some of us remember when the change was made to be 3-12 in both spaces. Prior to that the Club was 3-7 and the Lab was 8-12 (I think). One group or another is always upset about the groupings or lack thereof.

here also was chatter this past winter about splitting the younger preschoolers into their own group due to the vaccination status. I suspect it has to do with contact tracing moreso than masking. DCL still tests the younger ones near the end of cruises 5+ nights, and will do contact tracing/quarantine as needed. If they regroup all the kids 3-12, that becomes a bigger issue of potential quarantine.

Is this a choice they've made, or a government mandate?
I honestly don't recall. Since it's only on cruises of 5+ nights, and only implemented once DCL started those "longer" cruises (they started with 3 and 4 night cruises last summer) -- I'm tempted to say it's part of the CDC guidelines. But I'm not up for slogging through that documentation to check. Maybe someone else knows.

I honestly don't recall. Since it's only on cruises of 5+ nights, and only implemented once DCL started those "longer" cruises (they started with 3 and 4 night cruises last summer) -- I'm tempted to say it's part of the CDC guidelines. But I'm not up for slogging through that documentation to check. Maybe someone else knows.

I think so. I also suspect that part of it is protecting their CMs as much as possible as well - if a kid pops positive, then the CMs who interacted with them can immediately be quarantined. Sadly, experience when things first started proved that there are people not responsible enough to notify DCL about cases. I specifically remember that the Wonder was thought to be COVID free until just after the WBPC when some crew and guests got sick. Turns out - as someone who had been on the cruise prior stated on here (sorry, I can't go and find it if it even exists anymore) - there was a woman who tested positive within a day or so of debarking in New Orleans and never bothered to call DCL. Had she done that, DCL would have immediately isolated the servers and stateroom host who had had the most interaction with the woman (the first 3 crew to show symptoms) and notified passengers interacting with them on that cruise.

Would it have prevented the shutdown? No. would it have prevented spreading it? Possibly not, but it could have. But since people won't always be honest and report (I mean, we know some would lie on the "anyone been nauseous or thrown up in the last 24 hours" sheet) I could see them wanting to test at least the unvaxxed kiddos.

I agree. This will cause so much conflict and disappointment in my kids and this seems totally out of left field. Since opening they’ve never restricted one room. I have no problem with masking at all, but taking away the kids club…. Wow Disney.

How? Where? Do I share my thoughts on this with DCL? Could I share with my dreams TA to pass on? I’m so sad/mad with this news.
I don’t make the rules, I just have to implement them. It was a fairly quick and last minute change for us too. There were many different solutions discussed for the unvaccinated kids, which as far as I know included not having them in at all, having them in the nursery space or having specified “Preschooler time”. This was deemed the closest way to “normal” for them, makes it easy to keep track of them and keep everyone safe. They are still getting a kids club experience. Is it normal? No. But that’s how it has to be at the moment until this age can be vaccinated.
And who knows? After a while, management might change it and try something different. But if they do, it will be as a result of our feedback and the feedback of the guests who have experienced it onboard.

This was deemed the closest way to “normal” for them, makes it easy to keep track of them and keep everyone safe.
Keeps whom safe from what? Everyone except the under-5s is vaccinated, so why do they need to be protected from the under-5s? And you're not protecting the under-5s from anything either by putting them in exclusively with other unvaccinated under-5s.

I genuinely don't understand who is ostensibly being helped or protected by this.

(I know, like you said, you don't make the rules.)

I also suspect that part of it is protecting their CMs as much as possible as well.
What does a vaccinated-and-boosted CM need to be protected from?

But at this point this is one of the worst and I honestly don't think it will last long.
One of the worst what? Worst for who? You have made it very clear that you are upset about this change. Certainly you won’t be the only one and DCL should be communicating things more clearly.

However, there will be people who are happy to have the ages split so that there is no longer such a large age range in the spaces.

Cruising comes with unknowns right now. Between testing and port requirements, everyone needs to be prepared to go with the flow. It would be great to be back to things just as they were, but we aren’t there yet. What I can say is that the crew is just as kind as they ever were. Castaway is still beautiful and relaxing. My kid is still smiling because she sees characters around the ship and has access to more activities than she could ever do. I’m so glad we are here even with the small modifications.

For my family, this is still a wonderful vacation. In its current state, that might not be true for everyone. That’s ok. We did the parks last year and had a great time! However, it’s not an annual thing for us even though it is for others. Vacations appeal to people for different reasons. I’m glad there are so many choices.

We have actually had some very positive feedback about it. A lot of parents liked that the younger kids were in a more supervised and structured place without the older kids. And same thing reversed, a lot of parents of older kids reported their kids liked it without the younger kids too.

I’ve never been on a DCL (or any cruise) and am not totally following this discussion but what is the kids club “open house” referred to in an earlier post? Thanks!

I’ve never been on a DCL (or any cruise) and am not totally following this discussion but what is the kids club “open house” referred to in an earlier post? Thanks!
It’s when anyone of any age can come into the spaces and play. Secured programming is when we have only kids (and us) in there.

Usually happens on the first day when you board and occasionally during the cruise and will be listed in the app. It's when everyone and anyone can go "play" in the kids clubs! We took advantage of an open house to play with all the cool Star Wars stuff on the Fantasy on our 11 night Southern Caribbean. I think the men enjoyed it more than the kids! lol The rest of the time the kids clubs are exclusively for their age ONLY. No exceptions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter