No right,no wrong, no rules for me - I'm free *First solo trip 4/30-5/6* updated 8/29x3 *complete*

I went over to the Grandmother Willow exhibit thing about the rainforest, and closed myself into one of the booths and listened all about destruction of rainforests. Uplifting.

Those were...fun. :rotfl:

I know there are rumors floating around about this being transformed into Zootopia and I hope, hope, HOPE that comes to fruition. More than hope. I don't even think there are words to describe how excited I would be by that.

That would be so cool!

Yes, I think so! Especially if I knew I was meeting up with other DisFriends while there.

You need to go on a trip when we're there again :thumbsup2

I vote for a PTR, but I know you're busy and it's coming up soon so you might not have the time. But I can't wait to hear about your next trip too!

Also I didn't quote it but you said something about the Lowe Files. We DVRed them all but haven't watched yet, I thought it sounded funny.

I was headed to a first for me, Rafiki's Planet Watch!

Wow you've never been to Rafiki's? I went there for the first time about 2 years ago and I really enjoyed it.

I know there are rumors floating around about this being transformed into Zootopia and I hope, hope, HOPE that comes to fruition. More than hope. I don't even think there are words to describe how excited I would be by that.

OOh please be true!!!

It was already crowded, but it seemed to be getting worse. I was swimming upstream as I made my way toward the front of the park. I finally got up there and was shocked by the sea of humanity coming toward me.

To give you an idea, THIS:

CRAZY!!!

I think the river flowing outside of Jiko is so pretty:

So pretty I've never noticed this before! But I have also never eaten at Jiko

I see more than one bag there, which reminds me, I did stop by the Zawadi Marketplace at some point to finally pick up a gift for DH - a Larry Dotson print of the AKL. On our last two trips we've been able to meet him and have him sign prints for us (Wilderness Lodge, which hangs in our living room, and Wishes, which isn't framed yet b/c it's a weird size!), and he has one of Everest that he keeps in his office, so I figured this would be perfect.

what an awesome gift!

It was a quick and uneventful trip to the airport. When I got there, I had to go to the kiosk and print a boarding pass b/c DH had upgraded me to first class and it wasn't showing my boarding pass on the app, and the tickets Disney gave me in my packet showed the wrong seats. It was easy and didn't take very long.

What a sweet DH!!
I on the other hand upgraded DH and myself, and all I got was, "how much did you spend?!"

Eventually it was time to board...I don't know how I'm going back to a regular seat on a plane. I am now spoiled by first class and will always be checking for discounted upgrades during check in. At least if/when flying without the kids.

as long as they dont' make u use the bathrooms in coach you are good :thumbsup2

We landed and as I walked toward baggage claim I saw a huge group waiting for their family from Mexico with big signs and balloons. It was adorable!

Aww how cute!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful TR with us!! I can't wait to read more after your October trip! Maybe one day our paths will cross (again)!! I look forward to that moment!

Oh so sad the TR is over. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

I'm glad this was a good solo trip for you!! I really enjoyed hearing about it :)

Please do a PTR for your upcoming trip! Would love to hear what you have planned!

Thank you!! I'm glad you were here with me again. I might be doing a PTR after all...and it might be a two part PTR! Nothing is set in stone yet, but I have an interesting opportunity today...

Congrats on a fantastic trip and subsequent report :)

Thank you :-):-)

Thanks for taking us along on your solo adventure. I loved it and would go solo in a heartbeat. Your pictures are wonderful and I loved seeing the AKL again :goodvibes

Thank you for following along! I had no idea what to expect from a solo trip, and now I feel like encouraging EVERYONE to do it. It was a great experience for me.

Just reading your final reports and seeing that bus made me feel sad. Its always easier leaving when you know you have another trip already planned and booked! Not too long for October now :-)

I loved all your reviews and photos of AKL and definitely have to stay there someday. I thought Fall 2017 would be the time. It doesn't look like I will make it there Fall 2017 or Spring 2018, but hopefully the next one!

It definitely helped knowing I was going to be back relatively soon...October no longer seems so far away, and it's great to see the countdown shrinking. Although, the school fall event I'm working on is the day before we leave, so now the countdown is kind of ominous b/c it means our event is getting closer too, and I'm stressed, LOL!!

AKL has always been somewhere I've wanted to visit and I'm so glad I ended up there. I might be going back sooner than I'd planned...but that's coming up in another post!

What a fabulous TR you shared with us!!! I'm so sad to see it's over, though. Looking forward to your next one :thumbsup2 And at least you have another trip coming right up, too!!! :goodvibes

Thank you!! I am so happy you joined in for it, the conversation in the comments was just as fun as the trip itself! I'm already excited to write the next one and I haven't even left yet, LOL!!

Those were...fun. :rotfl:

That would be so cool!

You need to go on a trip when we're there again :thumbsup2

I vote for a PTR, but I know you're busy and it's coming up soon so you might not have the time. But I can't wait to hear about your next trip too!

Also I didn't quote it but you said something about the Lowe Files. We DVRed them all but haven't watched yet, I thought it sounded funny.

Grandmother Willow is definitely a downer! It's like, Woo! Disney fun! Rafiki! and then...dead trees. dead animals. destruction. More death.
and then you exit and your childhood is over. :rotfl:

We definitely need to go at the same time again, because we would have so much fun! Disney wouldn't even know what to do, there would be so much awesomeness going on.

I think I'm going to start a short PTR next week...and if the stuff I told you about today happens, it will be a two part PTR!

Wow you've never been to Rafiki's? I went there for the first time about 2 years ago and I really enjoyed it.

OOh please be true!!!

CRAZY!!!

So pretty I've never noticed this before! But I have also never eaten at Jiko

what an awesome gift!

What a sweet DH!!
I on the other hand upgraded DH and myself, and all I got was, "how much did you spend?!"

as long as they dont' make u use the bathrooms in coach you are good :thumbsup2

Aww how cute!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful TR with us!! I can't wait to read more after your October trip! Maybe one day our paths will cross (again)!! I look forward to that moment!

I have never been until May! I tried to think if I went there on my first ever trip in 2001 and I have no memory of it, so I don't think I did. If it was Zootopia, I don't think I'd ever leave!!

The crowd was RIDICULOUS. I have never seen anything like it and I don't know what the deal was.

The little river thing was so pretty. It's right outside of the Jiko windows, so if you exit through the door between Boma and Jiko at the bottom of the stairs, it's flowing through the jungly landscaping.

Hahaha! I'm usually the one who complains about spending, but since it was a last minute add on I didn't even question it, I just loved my comfy seat!

I'm so happy you came to follow along, and I'm hopeful we will cross paths again. I bet we will at some point, and I look forward to it!

Oh so sad the TR is over. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Thank you! I have a lot of fun writing them, but I do hate when real life stuff gets in the way. I feel like it took forever to write this one, but it was such a fun trip and I enjoyed reliving it. I'm glad you took the time to hang out with me and follow along!!

Great report. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank YOU for stopping by and following along. I don't think this was one of my more entertaining TRs, no one was attacked by a Country Bear like the last one, but it was so fun to relive this solo adventure and get me excited for the next trip!

Ok. I have potentially big news...potentially, b/c it might not end up happening, but I'm 90% sure it will...

DH and I might be going back and ringing in the new year Disney style!

A friend of mine has to give up her DVC reservation from 12/31 - 1/4. If we buy it from her, we will be in a savanna studio at AKL (I was too excited by the idea to ask if it's at Jambo or Kidani, not that it really matters)

If we do this, we will fly down on 12/30 into Sanford (never done this, always do MCO, big change for us with no DME!) and stay at Pop for the night. Our plane would land around 2:00. I made a 9:10pm reservation for Liberty Tree Tavern so we can get into the MK for pre-New Year's Eve fireworks (hoping they stick to tradition and do the special fireworks on 12/30 AND 12/31)

We would do NYE in Epcot, with a 4:30pm dinner at Chefs de France.

I have already made our dining reservations for each of the trip dates, just in case. Better safe than sorry, and cancelling is no big deal if we don't end up going. Jiko, Citricos, Boma, and Boathouse, are some of the places I booked. We'd also probably do a tour and the Star Wars dessert party.

So, I think I will start a PTR late next week with all of my October plans and if this December/January thing happens, it will become a two trip PTR.

Cross your fingers for me, Friends! It all hinges on someone being able to watch our dogs and get the kids to school on 1/4. If that can't happen, the trip can't happen. I'm not letting myself get too excited, but I jumped on those ADRs to be on the safe side :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Ok. I have potentially big news...potentially, b/c it might not end up happening, but I'm 90% sure it will...

A friend of mine has to give up her DVC reservation from 12/31 - 1/4. If we buy it from her, we will be in a savanna studio at AKL (I was too excited by the idea to ask if it's at Jambo or Kidani, not that it really matters)

If we do this, we will fly down on 12/30 into Sanford (never done this, always do MCO, big change for us with no DME!) and stay at Pop for the night. Our plane would land around 2:00. I made a 9:10pm reservation for Liberty Tree Tavern so we can get into the MK for pre-New Year's Eve fireworks (hoping they stick to tradition and do the special fireworks on 12/30 AND 12/31)

We would do NYE in Epcot, with a 4:30pm dinner at Chefs de France.

I have already made our dining reservations for each of the trip dates, just in case. Better safe than sorry, and cancelling is no big deal if we don't end up going. Jiko, Citricos, Boma, and Boathouse, are some of the places I booked. We'd also probably do a tour and the Star Wars dessert party.

So, I think I will start a PTR late next week with all of my October plans and if this December/January thing happens, it will become a two trip PTR.

Cross your fingers for me, Friends! It all hinges on someone being able to watch our dogs and get the kids to school on 1/4. If that can't happen, the trip can't happen. I'm not letting myself get too excited, but I jumped on those ADRs to be on the safe side :rotfl2::rotfl2:
Ahh! How exciting! Hopefully everything falls into place and you can make it happen! Smart to jump on those ADRs. You can always cancel. Good luck!

WHAT?!?!?!?!? :hyper::hyper::hyper:

If we do this, we will fly down on 12/30 into Sanford (never done this, always do MCO, big change for us with no DME!)
I'm anxious to hear about this, if you go! I can fly direct from my little local airport into Sanford, but I've never done this. Would you get a rental? Or take a taxi?

YAY!!!

Cross your fingers for me, Friends!
They are, I promise!!!

but I jumped on those ADRs to be on the safe side :rotfl2::rotfl2:
Better safe than sorry! ;)

I was headed to a first for me, Rafiki's Planet Watch!
I've been out there before but it's been YEARS. I wanted to go last month with the boys since neither of them remember anything about it, but we never got there. I guess we really didn't miss much.

I understand and appreciate the need for the paper straws, but I hate those stupid things.
::yes:: Completely understand why they have them 100%; completely hate how they begin to fall apart in your mouth 100%

What did I think of my solo trip??

I loved it! I admit, a little bit of me feels that way because I had so much fun reliving it through this TR, but I really did have a good time while I was there.
So good to hear! The more I read about people enjoying going solo, the more I think I might attempt one in the future :)

What would I do differently??

A lot of things...maybe. I would definitely stop second guessing myself. A lot of times, particularly with characters, I would think to myself, "Oh, you don't need to do that with just YOU", and I really wish I'd have taken the time to do character meets and things.
I do this with the characters all the time when it's just Steve and I, even though I do sometimes end up meeting a couple. I usually do the fur characters because I don't really have to talk to them lol, but I'd love to meet some face characters again. It's been awhile :( I'm just not there yet.

WHOO!!!!!!! :cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana: I really hope this happens for you because 1.kid-free trips are awesome and 2.NEW YEARS IN DISNEY!!!

I have already made our dining reservations for each of the trip dates, just in case. Better safe than sorry, and cancelling is no big deal if we don't end up going. Jiko, Citricos,
I stopped quoting after Citricos because I think you know it's practically our favorite restaurant, so if you guys do end up going please keep it!

Thank you once again for sharing your adventures :goodvibes I'll be on the lookout for your Oct. PTR and I'll also be keeping my fingers crossed your NYE trip works out :thumbsup2

Ahh! How exciting! Hopefully everything falls into place and you can make it happen! Smart to jump on those ADRs. You can always cancel. Good luck!

I was surprised to see how much was available, too!! I feel like I had a tough time last December (and while there, outside of a few times, the crowds didn't seem bad to me) going the week before Christmas, so it was exciting to have so man good options available over NYE and New Year's day.

Sooo exciting!! AND at AKL! WooHOo!!!

yes, AKL for part of it! DH is happy since he's never stayed there. We added on nights at AS Movies to the front end b/c it was pretty much all that was available outside of expensive suites. It's so crazy and happened so fast it doesn't feel real.

That's awesome!! I really hope you can make the trip happen! Can't wait for the PTR :goodvibes

It's happening!! Crossing my fingers nothing happens to derail it!

WHAT?!?!?!?!? :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I'm anxious to hear about this, if you go! I can fly direct from my little local airport into Sanford, but I've never done this. Would you get a rental? Or take a taxi?

YAY!!!

They are, I promise!!!

Better safe than sorry! ;)

Well, now we don't know if we're flying into Sanford or not. We have to work around where the kids will be when considering flights. I have no idea how we're going to get it all worked out, but the trip is booked at least! If we do end up flying into there, DH wants to just have a car service pick us up or use uber. I'd rather do a rental b/c I hate trying to make small talk, LOL!!

I've been out there before but it's been YEARS. I wanted to go last month with the boys since neither of them remember anything about it, but we never got there. I guess we really didn't miss much.

::yes:: Completely understand why they have them 100%; completely hate how they begin to fall apart in your mouth 100%

So good to hear! The more I read about people enjoying going solo, the more I think I might attempt one in the future :)

I do this with the characters all the time when it's just Steve and I, even though I do sometimes end up meeting a couple. I usually do the fur characters because I don't really have to talk to them lol, but I'd love to meet some face characters again. It's been awhile :( I'm just not there yet.

WHOO!!!!!!! :cheer2::banana::cheer2::banana: I really hope this happens for you because 1.kid-free trips are awesome and 2.NEW YEARS IN DISNEY!!!

I stopped quoting after Citricos because I think you know it's practically our favorite restaurant, so if you guys do end up going please keep it!

Thank you once again for sharing your adventures :goodvibes I'll be on the lookout for your Oct. PTR and I'll also be keeping my fingers crossed your NYE trip works out :thumbsup2

You didn't miss much at all. Except the alpaca. He was worth seeing!

I feel like you would have a great time on a solo trip. I know you'd be like me and have a hard time with missing Steve and the boys, but it just made me happy to be home and balanced the post-Disney depression. It was just such a rare chance to slow down and do whatever i wanted. I never have the opportunity for that! I carry around my mom guilt like a heavy old suitcase, so it was nice to set it down for a while!

I booked Citricos mainly b/c of your positive experiences there!! I knew it was a must do for us on a kid free trip!! It's one of my most anticipated meals.

PTR is started! party:

KEEPING ALL OF MY FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35813641004_c4541e60a5_b.jpg

I miss my flamingo view :(

had begun (began? does anyone actually care if i used the correct word here??)!

I care lol (well, I mean, I autocorrect everything because my job has trained my brain at this point), and you are using the correct conjugation! Gold star and 5 house points!

I care lol (well, I mean, I autocorrect everything because my job has trained my brain at this point), and you are using the correct conjugation! Gold star and 5 house points!

This made me feel so much better about myself!! I've been out of school too long...but I passed the little quiz about grammar that popped up in my facebook feed with a 100% score, AND you said I used the correct word, so I'm winning at life!! :rotfl2:

I really enjoyed your trip report, I hope your NYE trip happens!

thank you!! The trip is happening!! :dogdance: I started a PTR because I couldn't handle it anymore, lol!!

I'm finally all up to date, and only just shortly after you finished the darn thing...oh well. Yay for your wonderful solo trip! I didn't do much quoting since I had so much to read, but I had to quote these:

I like the opportunity to see the veterinarians work (although that was not available during my visit), and seeing the petting zoo animals, but otherwise, it's kind of blah over there. I know there are character meets, but I didn't see any, which was disappointing.

Omg I hadn't heard this, but I SINCERELY hope this is going to be a real thing!

There was also a service dog on our flight, and it took all I had not to go pet him.

This is ALWAYS ME, too!! It's so hard! They're working...but they're dogs...gah!

Also, I thought I'd quoted the part where you mentioned @ariane37 and the tv show, The Mist. Assuming you're talking about the new show out this year: Fun Fact! It was actually filmed in Nova Scotia (East Coast Canada) where I live! A lot of it was filmed about 20 minutes from my house in Bedford, NS, which is just outside Halifax. I work with someone who did some of the casting/coordinating of extras for the show, etc.

Also...your new PTR. This is VERY excited. Maybe we will even run into each other. Omg. :lovestruc

Also, I thought I'd quoted the part where you mentioned @ariane37 and the tv show, The Mist. Assuming you're talking about the new show out this year: Fun Fact! It was actually filmed in Nova Scotia (East Coast Canada) where I live! A lot of it was filmed about 20 minutes from my house in Bedford, NS, which is just outside Halifax. I work with someone who did some of the casting/coordinating of extras for the show, etc.

So cool! Have you watched it?

The Mist is really, really good! How cool that it was filmed so close to you!!

If we are there at the same time, we definitely need to coordinate a meet up!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter