"No we are not married"

pixiedust23

DIS Veteran
was probably the most common sentence out of mine or BFs mouth this past trip to WDW. We've been dating a few months and my family is DVC so we decided to take a lst minute trip down and never thought we woudl be asked if we were married.
:eek: It started in the MK our first full day. "are you on your honeymoon?" NO were NOT married.
:scared: Then at the photpass later that day "O look at the happy married couple!" "No were not married" :earseek: "O are you brother and sister then?" (sidenote: BF is 6'5 tall and dark, I'm 5'1 and as white as you can get)
:faint: Then on line entering Epcot the next day. "You better watch it buddy or you'll be sleeping on the couch, you cant say that now that youre married" "What are you talking about were not married!"
:scared1: Then there was dinner at Tepanyaki. After making friends with an older man and his teenage daughter, I was asked, "Hey PixieDust23 is that a wedding ring on your finger?" "OMG NO IT ISNT!"

So I must ask do only married people vacation there? Are BF/GF couples not allowed? What is up with the craziness. O and I"m only 23 and he's only 24. I also happen to look about 16 (BF gets upset when I say that and says I must say I look 18, but I sometimes I really dont. Last summer they tried to take away my adult library card saying I wasnt a day over 16!) So why must people rush others into getting married so early, I have so much life I want to live b4 I settle down! Whew thanks I just needed to vetn that!

My BF and I have the same problem at Disney every year :rotfl2:
I call to book the trip agent asks "Your husbands name please", he is not my husband.
Checking in Disney hotels, is this your honeymoon?
ADR party of two, your husbands name?
We have been going to WDW together for the past five years and it always happens, they put our reservations with the same last name and I have to call and correct them.
Then the quetions about kids start :crazy2:
Why does everyone who goes to Disney have to have kids :mad:

Can't two consenting adults go to WDW without all the questions and assumptions :confused:

I feel your pain :p

I will be answering all those questions again in 3 weeks :banana:

We're married, but thequestions about kids get me. We checked into a hotel a few weeks agon and I handed over my DIsney VIsa.

"Oh, you must have kids."

"No, I guess that means we're just immature grown ups."

It's the same as peole thinking you're together if you go to luch with a co-worker. First tiem I went ot lunch with my boss, they asked if he wanted 2 spoons so we could share his dessert. What are people thinking??? Yuo really cannot assume anything.

It was kind of funny when I went to lunch with 2 co-workers, though, and the waitress thought they wer my parents. One is ony 10 yrs older than me. That made her feel good!

Ahhh yes I forgot to mention they kept calling BF, Mr. Dust23. He was like o god Pixie dont tell your dad they're calling me his name! I wanted to be like no I'm sorry I'm MS. Dust23 and I made all the reservations b/c I am a grown indepedent woman!

I seriously wanted to be like uumm can you please assume youre way right back out of my conversation many a times!

Well, now I know what to expect when me and DBF go in Dec. Maybe we should wear signs that say we are not married!

pixiedust23 said:
Ahhh yes I forgot to mention they kept calling BF, Mr. Dust23. He was like o god Pixie dont tell your dad they're calling me his name! I wanted to be like no I'm sorry I'm MS. Dust23 and I made all the reservations b/c I am a grown indepedent woman!

I seriously wanted to be like uumm can you please assume youre way right back out of my conversation many a times!

Funny - Have to add that no matter how many times I try and "update the system" CRO thinks my SIL is my DH. She and I went on a girls only trip with a few other friends and we were the ones who booked the room. We both have a first name that could be either m/f so I can't blame them too much but its still funny when I call.

TJ

This was encountered during our Dec. '04 trip to WDW and we occassionally get that kind of behavior during the everyday, but I just shrug it off. It's not a big deal for us since we're headed in that direction anyway.

I actually think it is nice of the CMs to inquire if you are on your honeymoon. Though, honestly, no one will have to ask when we go down. Yes, hunny, you will wear the tophat Mickey ears! :love:

I can definitely understand why some of you are upset, esp. the coworker thing. It really makes you wonder that kind of thought process (or lack thereof) that occurred before that someone opened their trap.

pixiedust23 said:
was probably the most common sentence out of mine or BFs mouth this past trip to WDW. We've been dating a few months and my family is DVC so we decided to take a lst minute trip down and never thought we woudl be asked if we were married.
:eek: It started in the MK our first full day. "are you on your honeymoon?" NO were NOT married.
:scared: Then at the photpass later that day "O look at the happy married couple!" "No were not married" :earseek: "O are you brother and sister then?" (sidenote: BF is 6'5 tall and dark, I'm 5'1 and as white as you can get)
:faint: Then on line entering Epcot the next day. "You better watch it buddy or you'll be sleeping on the couch, you cant say that now that youre married" "What are you talking about were not married!"
:scared1: Then there was dinner at Tepanyaki. After making friends with an older man and his teenage daughter, I was asked, "Hey PixieDust23 is that a wedding ring on your finger?" "OMG NO IT ISNT!"

Frankly, I don't understand why you even bother correcting them. Sounds like you go out of your way to emphasize that you are not married.

Gee, DH and I ARE married and nobody at WDW ever asks questions or makes verbal assumptions about our marital status. I'm surprised you have had so many comments. I wouldn't take them to heart in a negative way--I think people are just trying to make conversation and be friendly.

The only thing people tend to make assumptions about is that we have the same last name (we don't have the same last name). It doesn't bother us, though.

My DH's sister is married to a man 30 years older than her, and EVERYBODY (I'm not talking about WDW) assumes he is her father. :rotfl: They just laugh it off! It's all in your attitude!

I`m going in 3 weeks with DGF and her DD12. Even though all three last names are different they have her listed as Mrs. on our reservetions. I`m sure they will assume we`re mom, dad, and daughter. I probably won`t bother to correct them. I`m just thrilled to be going to WDW with the two of them. :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

FayeW said:
Frankly, I don't understand why you even bother correcting them. Sounds like you go out of your way to emphasize that you are not married.

Whoa ok there Mr. Cranky Pants. But when you havent been dating for all that long and people keep asking if youre married is extremely awkward and truely none of their business. I could maybe understand if I was older and wearing an engagement ring or a wedding band but I'm not and I dont.

Tinkerbell_Girl - We were looking at all the people and their matching shirts and decided if we go back down together were going to have shirts made that say. "No we are not married, but have a magical Day!" :rotfl:

pixiedust23 said:
Whoa ok there Mr. Cranky Pants. But when you havent been dating for all that long and people keep asking if youre married is extremely awkward and truely none of their business. I could maybe understand if I was older and wearing an engagement ring or a wedding band but I'm not and I dont.

Tinkerbell_Girl - We were looking at all the people and their matching shirts and decided if we go back down together were going to have shirts made that say. "No we are not married, but have a magical Day!" :rotfl:

I'm so confused - you two haven't been dating long enough to be charmed by someone assuming that you love each other enough to have made a lifelong committment to each other, but you HAVE been dating long enough to go on vacations together? And stay in the same room? And make plans for the next trip? Huh? This upsets you why?

Not for nothing, but in my day . . . . sigh.

Time's they are a changin' . . . . . .

KC :sunny:

pixiedust23 said:

:rotfl:

Hiya

My dbf and me get the are you married thing (i think its cute to start with)

I am ok with it and dbf is ok with it, until the point when sometimes people say "shouldnt your husband be doing that" like when I am carrying shopping, I am 6ft and I am perfectly ok carrying my own shopping lol.

I do think its sweet that people assume we are married just because we are on a holiday together

We have gotten the "happy couple" and "honeymooners" comments on our last 2 trips together. However this time I will be very upset if we don't get them since it will be our honeymoon (and yes he has agreed to wear the top hat :))

honeymo78 said:
We have gotten the "happy couple" and "honeymooners" comments on our last 2 trips together. However this time I will be very upset if we don't get them since it will be our honeymoon (and yes he has agreed to wear the top hat :))

Wow, the last time we went we only got asked once about if we were there for a special occassion. I feel so left out :guilty:, on that trip we got engaged...I like you the next time around will be on the honeymoon - hopefully - we both get lucky with that!

Congratulations to you! Have a wonderful honeymoon!

When my boyfriend and I were there last October we also got that occasionally. Once we were walking through an area where people had already gathered on the sidewalk to wait for the parade and the cast member asked all the people for a round of applause for the newly-weds (meaning us!). I thought it was a nice thought, even though it wasn't true. I think people just assumed it because we looked young and happy together. Fortunately, we've been together long enough that it wasn't really awkward for us.

pixiedust23 said:
We were looking at all the people and their matching shirts and decided if we go back down together were going to have shirts made that say. "No we are not married, but have a magical Day!" :rotfl:

this sounds like a good solution.

want to see a picture of the T-shirts!!! :rotfl: :rolleyes1

CM are certainly nosey about your personal life. You and your bf must have been a cute couple. maybe you and he looked in love?

how about posting a picture?

I take a class with a guy that I work with - we drive to class together, sit together, go to eat together, etc. We also tend to argue a lot! We have been asked several times if we're married and once if we were brother/sister. I was pleased - he's 12 years younger than I am! Just wanted to let you know, it doesn't just happen at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter