Non-Genie+/LL Strategy - To rope drop or not?

blam84

Earning My Ears
We have decided to not use the Genie+ or Lightning Lane system for our trip at the end of August. I'm getting conflicting feedback about whether we should rope drop, or come later in the day and ride the biggest attractions once lines die down.

What is your per-park, non-Genie+/Lightning Lane strategy?

In August I would rope drop, midday break at the pool and return in the evening. We’ve done August twice and with the heat this is what works best for us. This way you can take advantage of short lines at both sides of the day.

It might depend on the park. But crowds are likely to be a little lighter at the end of August, so RD might not be as important. However, since it is the end of August, we might consider rope drop (or at least very early) to avoid the worst heat of the day or the likely/potential rainstorms in the afternoon.

Unless the park is expected to be extremely slow, I would always use genie plus at this point. If I wasn't going to use genie plus, then rope dropping would be 100 percent be a requirement for me. Getting a few quick rides in with super short waits is a must to start the day, especially if you can't stack lightning lanes for busy times. Adding to that the summer heat, early morning seems even better

My plan for that time of year would be ropedrop, break during the hottest and long-liniest time of day, then return to closing. Nap and/or pool during break.

Generally breaktime is lunch to dinner… but one or both of those meals may be in-park or out. Depending on that, the break may end up longer or shorter.

It might depend on the park. But crowds are likely to be a little lighter at the end of August, so RD might not be as important. However, since it is the end of August, we might consider rope drop (or at least very early) to avoid the worst heat of the day or the likely/potential rainstorms in the afternoon.
I don't use Genie+ or ILLs and this is pretty much what I do in Aug/Sept. I don't usually rope drop but do get to the park pretty close to it. I do what I can in the first hour or two, then pick and choose what I want to do, it might be a ride or a show then take it from there. I always go back to the resort somewhere between lunch and around 3 or so just to rest. Then I head back out. I do always have PHs (right now an AP) so I think that helps if one park is too crowded, I can just move on, especially now that you can hop at any time.

We're doing our trip the end of Aug. as well and are hoping to be able to rope drop just to beat the heat (we'll see, we come from Hawaii--6hr time difference so pretty rough adjusting to EST). We haven't ever used Genie+ for our trips and have usually gone in the summer. We take a break around 1:00 to either nap or cool down in the pool and then return in the evening. Attraction times tend to dip during fireworks so if we've already seen one show during our trip, we'll definitely take advantage of riding something. Rain can also work in your favor as a lot of the parks tend to empty out.

Rope drop and mid-day break then park to close. Lines only die down in like the last hour/half hour and by the time you’ve waited and ridden something you may or may not be able to ride something else before you hit park close (I’m assuming you don’t want to see the nighttime shows).

Rope drop, mid-day break, especially in Aug as afternoon storms are common. Also, AM is slightly less hot (although still melt-your-face-off hot) than the afternoon.

We have decided to not use the Genie+ or Lightning Lane system for our trip at the end of August. I'm getting conflicting feedback about whether we should rope drop, or come later in the day and ride the biggest attractions once lines die down.

What is your per-park, non-Genie+/Lightning Lane strategy?
Rope drop, break midday, go back and stay til park close.

Without Genie+ I’d say definitely RD, break mid afternoon and come back strong in the evening. Those hot August days/nights at DW can be brutal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter