North Carolina

Hi! From NC, going in Sept. Who's driving?? Who's flying? We're still deciding on that.

I'm a born and bred Southern NC girl, but now living in CA. Does that count?

I'm flying out to FL in about 5 days.

SLDL said:
Hi! From NC, going in Sept. Who's driving?? Who's flying? We're still deciding on that.

We drive each time. I'm so country I have never flew a day in my life (41). :teeth:

5 more days for us!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: We're driving. We've never flown there. Our kids are really good in the car. Sometimes we split the drive, but usually make it all in one day. It's not bad.

We are from Burlington, near Greensboro. We will be driving down the day after Thanksgiving. That sure sounds like a long time from now.

NC State said:
We drive each time. I'm so country I have never flew a day in my life (41). :teeth:

I am at the back door of Johnston County...Wake, actually...so I'm curious how long it took you specifically b/c it sounds like we're not that far away from you. How many times did you stop? Where? (I'm thinking our 1/2 way point is Savannah) And did you have small, recently potty trained children with you that required a few more rest stops? I am thinking we will drive b/c that could be a very memorable experience. Stopping at each state, etc.

BTW, what do you think about your new coach? I'd never heard of him before...

We'll be going from Raleigh in September!! Can't wait. Usually we split it up and stay somewhere around Savannah. Sometimes finding a hotel is difficult unless you reserve ahead of time. The first time we went there was some sort of convention in Jacksonville and all hotels were booked for miles & miles.

We live near High Point. Just look at this countdown, will you?!! It'll be forever before we get there!
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

SLDL said:
. BTW, what do you think about your new coach? I'd never heard of him before...

He's one of the NCSU players from their "Cinderella" win in '83. Hopefully he can breathe some life back into our team! GO PACK!! :woohoo:

BTW..we are driving for the first time ever due to airline prices. We're going to do it all in one day and just leave very early in the am! So not looking forward to the ride..but am definately looking forward to the destination! :banana:

SLDL said:
I am at the back door of Johnston County...Wake, actually...so I'm curious how long it took you specifically b/c it sounds like we're not that far away from you. How many times did you stop? Where? (I'm thinking our 1/2 way point is Savannah) And did you have small, recently potty trained children with you that required a few more rest stops? I am thinking we will drive b/c that could be a very memorable experience. Stopping at each state, etc.

SLDL, you can probably count on about a 10 hour drive. More if you take lots of stops; we have driven from further west in the state, but its all about the same. It has taken us as long as 13 hours before, when there were younger bladders involved (kids are now 9 and 6)

Regarding driving, having done it many times, the trip down is never too bad. The trip back seems like it takes forever. We are all worn out and sad to be coming home, therefore kids are a bit more grumpy and restless. On going to FL, it does help to mark the entry into each new state. A nice neighbor of ours once made little treat bags for our kids with things symbolic of each state -NC = apples; SC = peanuts; GA = peaches; FL = oranges; WDW = giant lollipops shaped like a Mickey head. This was such a sweet thing for the neighbor to do; our kids loved those simple paper bags designated for each state. They looked forward to crossing into each new state.

We are going 8/13-8/20 to POFQ. I have flown and driven and found it easier just to drive.
We make it in about 8 hours (were from the Charlotte area) and leave really early so we have more time to play on our first day! :car:

We heading down in mid-June!! :cool1: Can't wait!!
We're driving too from eastern NC... I know gas is expensive, but so is jet fuel!

And yes, the drive down is exciting; last time we drove straight through on the way back, which we plan to do this time, and it's not as fun. :rolleyes:

We used to drive, but have flown the last few times - our vacation time and time off school for dd is much more limited. We'll be at SSR over Thanksgiving!

10 hours is not bad. We can do that. We'll probably break it up also. One of the things I thought about is that if we flew, it would probably be on Southwest b/c they are cheaper & nonstop. But, the prices are still high & the flight we'd take is at 6 am from RDU, so we'd have to leave so early anyway!

I can imagine that the return trip seems twice as long!! That will really stink!

:wave2: Hey my fellow NC and especially the Johnstonians! Wow, more of us here than I thought there were!! :yay: I live out here in the forgotten part of the county...near Mudcats Stadium (5 County Stadium, I know).
Anyhoo, last November we drove an RV pulling a golf cart on a trailer all the way down to WDW. It was a LONG ride, as it I was with my DH:donald: (who is more like Donald Duck than you can imagine), my MIL :earseek:, and my DD3 who was SICK as a dog :sick: (we had to make a dr. office visit the morning we were supposed to leave). We left at 10 am from our house, and we were about 2 hours away from WDW that night at 8 pm. We stopped to spend the night in the RV and let the kiddo out of her car seat. We could have gone on to WDW but she was just miserably tired of that car seat. So that was 11 hours in an RV, with my DH driving straight through...we stopped 2 times. To get a lunch and gas up(NC somewhere); then to gas up once again(Ga/SC line) and to let DH have a potty break/leg stretch. Then for the night in FL. With the RV, us girls used the on board potty so that helped out alot. :cheer2:
This November we are driving the SUV so we think, if all goes as planned we will make it down in 10 hours. Hoping to only have to stop a few times for potty breaks and food/fuel. :hourglass
I would advise to take a potty seat with you if you have small children, in case there are some emergency potty breaks needed and you are in between exits with restrooms. I know we are doing that for DD this time.

BTW, what is up with the $$ airfare to Orlando? Getting expensive.

Sidney Lowe is a former NCSU basketball player from the early-80's. He was on the Champoinship team of 83 (or was it 82) -- I was only 6 or 7 years old then. DH is a UNC man, and I am a Dukie -- our daughter is just CONFUSED!! :confused3
She'll make the right choice in the end --> ECU!!!:lmao: (heeheehee, over her daddy's cold dead body heeheehee!) :furious:

Okay, ya'll have a GREAT vacation!!!

SLDL said:

BTW, what do you think about your new coach? I'd never heard of him
before...

We leave about 3:30 am and stop maybe 3 times for bathroom breaks/gas. We get to POP about 12:15-12:30 pm. We get lunch at the hotel then take a nap and up by 6:00 pm then go over the Chef Mickeys or Ohanas for dinner. We don't have any small children so that helps in travel time.

I'm so glad to have Sidney, I think the guys would love to have someone that has played pro-ball plus coached in the pros as well. It can only help us in recruiting. I know everyone on campus is very excited about him coming back. I'm also glad we're getting someone that knows the what the Brickyard and the Free Expression Tunnel is. :cheer2: Don't get me wrong I liked Herb and I enjoyed working with him, but I just think he needed something fresh as well as the Univeristy. GO PACK! :wave2:

Savannah is a great stop, about 5ish hours from WDW. There is a Motel 6 at Richmond Hill that we stayed at. It's a bit on the old side, but was only 39.00 for one night (Sat night). You might be able to get it cheaper during the week. We picked up some coupon books at the SC/GA Welcome Center, and they had coupons for 29.99 a night from Mon-Thurs. It wasn't 5-Star, but it served it's purpose!

I'm from Raleigh - we just got back last night! Left Thursday afternoon, drove to St Mary's/Kingsland GA and spent the night, arrived Fri AM at the park, and drove all the way back yesterday. (Yes, we're crazy - drove all the way just for the weekend!)

I-95 was the worst I've ever seen. It took us 4 1/2 hrs yesterday to get out of FL (should have been a 3 hr trip). Once we crossed the GA line, we didn't have any problems. I did vow never to drive again based on the traffic, but I'll probably forget that vow before our next trip!

We almost always stay in Kingsland on the way down. It's exit #3, just this side of the FL border, and there are several decent hotels there (and gas is usually cheap too). From Raleigh, it's about 6 hrs to Kingsland, and then another 3 hrs from there to Orlando.

And as for NC State, I'm old enough to be really excited about Monte Towe coming back as an assistant coach!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter