Not so great experience so far

42trvl

Mouseketeer
We booked an adventure for next year as soon as they became available on August 1 and were able to get the early booking discount. We are a family of four with two teens and specifically asked that the booking be two doubles (one adult, one child). All four of us have not stayed in one room on any kind of a vacation since they were babies, and since we are paying the full adult price anyway per person have absolutely no reason to start now. Anyway, just got the confirmation paperwork on Monday and they have us booked in a quad. I called immediately before sending anything back and for two days now have been getting the run around. Initially I was told they could change it to two doubles, but the early booking price is no longer available so we would have to pay more. I told them since it was their mistake and the lower price was available on August 1, I should not have to pay more now. For the second time, after being put on hold for a very long time, I was told someone would work on it and get back to me. A day later, again, I have not received a call back. In the meantime, we are past the 14 day cancellation period, but clearly we are going to have a fight on our hands if they try to force us to pay for something that we did not book and they will not correct. I find it very unfortunate that the company would make it this difficult to work with them. Even with the Early Booking Discount, we are spending over $16,000. (it's the Down Under trip)

I think you are totally correct on this, and they should be able to fix it right away. I have been on one ABD, and we had a great time. The guides were awesome, great fun, etc. However, we had a problem with Disney and spent alot of time getting the run around ourselves. Our problem was different than yours, but we ran up against the same type of poor response. My husband forgot 5 shirts at one of our hotels. We told our guides that we had forgotten them the day he did it. We offered to pay to have them shipped, etc. Disney told us no problem, they could get them to San Jose( our trip was to Costa Rica), the day we left. We got to the airport and no shirts. We again offered to have them shipped, and were told no they would get them to us. We waited 2 weeks and no shirts. We called and they called us back in about 2 days, and said the shirts where still in Costa Rica, and they did not have a guide returning to the states for another 3 weeks, and they didn't want to pay the cost of shipping. We were still patient at this point, since we left them and they where trying to get them back to us. We waited the 3 weeks and called, and had to wait another couple of days to get a call back. The lady we talked to wasn't very pleasant and told us they had been the ones to try and contact us, and that it had only been several weeks. I pointed out to her that we had been trying for 5 weeks to get them back. She tried to make the distinction that they only new about in the states for a few weeks. I didn't agree, and believe that they all represent Disney. They said the shirts would be here in a week, shipped from California. A week and a half goes by, and still no shirts. We call again, wait another couple of days for a call back, and they have shipped them to the wrong people. Finally, a week after that we get them back. It took Disney 2 months to get our shirts back. Not the best service as far as we are concerned. We felt like once we offered to pay to get them back twice and they said no they would handle it, they had taken on the responsibillity. I tell you that long winded story to say, we loved our trip, but did feel like we got the run around, when clearly they where making mistakes.

Yes we also travel with a teen and an adult so when we make the reservation--we actually do two separate reservations. It did make me nervous but it worked out well for us. We have to pay for 4 adults anyway so two rooms is better for us so we have two bathrooms!!

I agree it was their mistake and they should give you your early booking rate.

This is why I used a good TA. They are your advocate should problems like this arise. I have twice had a problem with ABD reservations /customer service and both times my TA handled it. I ttook many phone calls and much persistence on his part but I do believe he has more clout with ABD than I do. He brings them multiple clients whereas I am only one client. Unfortunately his agency no longer carries ABD becausethey had so many problems with them. But when I book ABD again, I will use another TA.

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. It's too bad that they should make things so difficult for any of us. I used to be a travel agent (still do consulting in the field), so prefer to handle our own arrangements. Advocating on our behalf is not a problem and detailed records are kept of any transactions and conversations. I kept at it yesterday and after a couple of more calls and insistence was able to speak with someone in the position to straighten things out, so at this point all is well. It's just unfortunate that it would take so much effort - whether by the client directly or a travel agent - to get them to deal with things. In the meantime, we'll all enjoy the positive and hope that the actual adventure end of disney is run better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter