Not too impressed with DLRP

To be honest i'm not that bothered by a a few cowebs or whatever in DLRP the main thing that matters to me is that my child and I are having fun.

You know what? I must have bought into the illusion completely at DLRP - as I've never even noticed any of the things you've pointed out about the Carousel or Dumbo :confused3 . I've not noticed any mould anywhere I wanted to sit, or felt chewing gum under seats etc (erm why would I be feeling under seats?).

As a project manager, you must have more of an eye for detail than I do - and it seems, at DLRP, this is maybe not to your advantage. I love the quaintness of DLRP, it looks magical to me - yes, even the carousel and Dumbo. And the park entrance up Main St and to the Castle makes me go all teary-eyed every time I step through the gates.

As has been said, coffee and tea are not provided free at the Cheyenne (usually you have to hire a kettle as well) - this is the same in a fair few of the onsite hotels at DLRP. This is a European resort, with European hotel standards and facilities.

I hope I'm not coming across as too defensive of DLRP - I can make no comparison to other Disney parks across the world. I can only say that I will return again and again to DLRP, especially while my daughter is young - it has everything we want and more, and we feel The Magic the whole time we are there :goodvibes

It's a pity you felt let down by DLRP. I think if something disappoints you, sometimes there is a tendency to identify other areas that also fall short of expectations. I think the clue is in your profession - as a project manager, you probably have a trained eye for these type of things. I'm happy to say I am mostly oblivious to these things!:goodvibes It's a good job too, considering all the repairs needed in my house.:rotfl:

a comment by a long standing and well educated project manager.....

never noticed any of those things and the magic was still there. also, i did not feel compelled to assess the whole business, i treated it as fun holiday that we all enjoyed.

thats my dh by the way - and he knows exactly how to run businesses.
im sorry if im now gonna sound rude - but i think u must have spent the whole holiday looking for things to moan about - how about next time going and just having fun???? thats what most ppl do on holidays.....

I do also think solutions rather than excuses. And I am not looking for excuses because DLRP don't need them. And although I am not a Project Manager I also know a little about charges and benefits. And if Disney would refurbish all attractions every two month we would even had to pay much much more to visit DLRP. And for me everything is in a very good shape.

It is true that there are always parts of the park and attractions that need a refurbishment but if you have a look at the schedule than you will mostly find exactly that attraction due for the next refurbishment. And I think it is the same in WDW and all other Disney Parks.

I think someone also said something about that the Yeti is missing at the Animal Kingdom. And I think that could spoil my whole trip if the Yeti would be missing and not if only a little more paint would be needed at one of the Carousels.
:lmao:

im sorry if im now gonna sound rude - but i think u must have spent the whole holiday looking for things to moan about

Very well said. And do you now what: I love DLRP so much that I am affraid that I would do the same with WDW if I should visit it for the first time.

I think I would only have a look at search for things that are better at DLRP than WDW. :rolleyes:

One thing has to be clear, we enjoyed the holiday. My wife has also pointed out it was only a 2 star hotel so I perhaps expected too much but my point with the whole post is I expected more from Disney.

Indeed. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a supposed 4* and has similar issues. To be honest, I find the WDW hotels and DLP to be pretty much on par. In fact the Disneyland Hotel in Paris is a better all around experience than the WDW deluxes. That said, I agree with you. Disney should raise their game, they used to be good, now not as much sadly.

This is my point with the parks as well, the decor and general upkeep seems to have been neglected, in Orlando, there is always a section here, a section there boarded up (for no more than a day generally) being repainted. The staff relay the floor overnight to be repaired for the next morning. If DLRP is now in profit, I think they need to get this kind of mentality before considering another park.

Another example is the Carousel which Daisy adored, we rode it time and time again, but the illusion of it being a grand victorian Carousel was ruined by almost every horse being damaged with fibre glass protruding from some area or worn paint showing plastic rather than wood.

Agreed there is room for improvement here too. That said, they tend to not do as much maintenance in Summer and December because of the crowds. The refurbs take place throughout the rest of the year (we saw them on other trips this year). We last went to WDW in Dec 2006 and we have been to DLP 5 times since, as well as Disneyland in California. Of all the trips, the MK in WDW was by far the most run down (have you seen the Buzz queue, or the state of the Country Bears, Carousel of Progress etc?). Neither are perfect, but overall, DLP's batting average has been better for us. But I do agree with you, I would like to see DLP improve further still.

To be honest i'm not that bothered by a a few cowebs or whatever in DLRP the main thing that matters to me is that my child and I are having fun.

I'm sorry, but that attitude is not helpful either. The OP is right, Disney is about delivering near perfect experiences, European legislation or not. And he is right, these things should be attended to (in the early 90's they used to be - and at Disneyland in California, they are).

As for work shifts, they can do them at night too, but it's a different crew with higher costs. What we are seeing is the results of many years of cut backs in trying to turn a profit and repay debt. Now that things are improving, I have seen steady improvements at DLP for the last 5 years, while WDW has been consistently sliding for the last 10-15. During the Paul Pressler years in Disneyland, the place became aweful, luckily the 50th anniversary gave it the refresh it needed. I hope Paris does the same for the 20th if not before.

thats my dh by the way - and he knows exactly how to run businesses.
im sorry if im now gonna sound rude - but i think u must have spent the whole holiday looking for things to moan about - how about next time going and just having fun???? thats what most ppl do on holidays.....

This is a bit harsh folks, nobody spends money to want to poke holes. I too am a senior exec of PMs, Programme Managers, and business consultants (PRINCE2 and MSP qualified practitioner and instructor). And it disturbs me sometimes the level places can sink (DLP was in a pretty bad state just after WDS opened. For mold, look at the backside of the Castle, the art work in the Chapperelle Theatre, and even before the last paint, the DLH. This tidyness, clean streets, clean bins, slick service, live streetmousphere (which while DLP is improving, is still not on par with the American and Asian parks, though was opening year) are just as important to the experience as the architecture and attractions. They deliver the magic that no other parks (though Tivoli Gardens Copenhagen comes close) do. Sadly, as I say, I found the MK in Florida far worse last trip. But 34 years of Disney obsession, talks with imagineers, reading over 100 books, and visiting the resorts around the globe 100's of times has taught me all these things matter. And just because non Disney parks can be stinking holes and fun fairs, does not mean we should give any Disney resort a free pass.

I'm sorry, but that attitude is not helpful either. The OP is right, Disney is about delivering near perfect experiences, European legislation or not. And he is right, these things should be attended to (in the early 90's they used to be - and at Disneyland in California, they are).

As for work shifts, they can do them at night too, but it's a different crew with higher costs. What we are seeing is the results of many years of cut backs in trying to turn a profit and repay debt. Now that things are improving, I have seen steady improvements at DLP for the last 5 years, while WDW has been consistently sliding for the last 10-15. During the Paul Pressler years in Disneyland, the place became aweful, luckily the 50th anniversary gave it the refresh it needed. I hope Paris does the same for the 20th if not before.

I'm sorry but my child of 3 years old is not going to care if there is a bit of mould on the side of Dumbo and neither am I.

ETA- I go on holiday to enjoy myself, not spend hours picking on silly things that IMO doesnt ruin my enjoyment of the place.

I think someone also said something about that the Yeti is missing at the Animal Kingdom. And I think that could spoil my whole trip if the Yeti would be missing and not if only a little more paint would be needed at one of the Carousels.
:lmao:

Agreed. That was me. We went to WDW to specifically see Expedition Everest (the Yeti was in pitch black - 2 months after opening), the new Nemo attraction at WDW (the angler fish was broken and so were some of the screens - 6 weeks after opening or so). Also our old favs all had broken AA's - Country Bears, Splash Mountain, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, Universe of Energy, the Great Movie Ride. Also, virtually none of the effects on Test Track worked.

Thankfully despite some of the paint/mold issues at DLP, I have rarely had this experience there (except last time in October - 2 AA's were broken on Phantom Manor, one effect on Buzz, and 5 children were missing from It's a Small World - everything was working on Pirates however!)

I don't want to have to choose, I want nice paint and working AA's. Come on, you must admit Alice's Curious Labrynth is well overdue a thorough refurb?!!

I'm sorry but my child of 3 years old is not going to care if there is a bit of mould on the side of Dumbo and neither am I.

ETA- I go on holiday to enjoy myself, not spend hours picking on silly things that IMO doesnt ruin my enjoyment of the place.

Clearly a newbie fan then. FWIW my wife is allergic to most molds, how do you think mama having coughing fits affects my kids' (inc my 3 year old's holidays? Disney is built for all, not just kids (at least it used to be)

FWIW - I think they did a pretty good job with the refurbs for the 15th, let's hope there are more to come.

im sorry but i have to agree here. it seems like disney cant wait if they close rides people are complaining. i did notice a few things that could have done with a touch up but tbh it didnt bother me. although the maze was closed for a month in sept and when i went in oct it had chipped or very little paint and there were no pop up character the queen i think. so im not sure what they did for that month

Clearly a newbie fan then. FWIW my wife is allergic to most molds, how do you think mama having coughing fits affects my kids' (inc my 3 year old's holidays? Disney is built for all, not just kids (at least it used to be)

I'm not a newbie fan, i have been on a lot of Disney trips to DLP and WDW and i tend to spend my time having fun and living the magic.

A bit of faded paint etc is the least of my worries and i wouldnt let it ruin my holiday.

The point is, the OP is right. In the US they used to (sadly economic cutbacks have effected the 3rd shift) touch up the paint and effects virtually every night. They do in Paris, but to a lesser degree (far lesser). Some is cost related. Some is due to labour laws. And also climate has a huge impact too - paint dries faster in the warmer climates of California and Florida. Also, there are different environmental laws about what paints can be used (partially why Tokyo is so awesome looking, but there are few environmental laws on lead based paints.

The point is, the OP is right. In the US they used to (sadly economic cutbacks have effected the 3rd shift) touch up the paint and effects virtually every night. They do in Paris, but to a lesser degree (far lesser). Some is cost related. Some is due to labour laws. And also climate has a huge impact too - paint dries faster in the warmer climates of California and Florida. Also, there are different environmental laws about what paints can be used (partially why Tokyo is so awesome looking, but there are few environmental laws on lead based paints.

well that in itself explains a lot of why they cant keep up.

Thanks for the lively debate. I think it might be best to close the thread now, I didn't mean to cause anyone offence, I think my issues should probably be written and sent direct to Disney Corp as I still do think they have to questions to answer over quality.

However, if I put myself in your shoes and someone took a chunk out of my beloved Epcot and Animal Kingdom and my wife and childrens favourite Magic Kingdom, I'd take it personally even though it wasn't meant as such.

Please do consider WDW and don't be put off by stories, it is a superb place to visit and the weather is not the issue some people might think, I hate the heat and love the icy air conditioned stores! Let's hope all of the parks return to their former glory when the current economic problems are over.

Andy

Thanks for the lively debate. I think it might be best to close the thread now, I didn't mean to cause anyone offence, I think my issues should probably be written and sent direct to Disney Corp as I still do think they have to questions to answer over quality.

However, if I put myself in your shoes and someone took a chunk out of my beloved Epcot and Animal Kingdom and my wife and childrens favourite Magic Kingdom, I'd take it personally even though it wasn't meant as such.

Please do consider WDW and don't be put off by stories, it is a superb place to visit and the weather is not the issue some people might think, I hate the heat and love the icy air conditioned stores! Let's hope all of the parks return to their former glory when the current economic problems are over.

Andy

I have been WDW twice and im happy enough going DLRP. Much better place in IMHO.

But i hope you have a happy time wherever you choose to holiday in the future.

bit patronising? isnt she allowed an opinion... ???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter