Now Approaching... Sleepingbooty's Sept. PTR (We're BAAACK! 9/26)

Chapter 41. Intravenous Tie Dye

How's that for a weird title? First off, for the tie dye: I'd been debating about doing matching shirts. So much to do, so little time. This past weekend, my mom brought it up, so I figured if she would help, I'd go for it. We headed up to the Joann Fabric and Crafts. The girls had decided they wanted to by gypsies for halloween after spotting a cute costume in the Costume Express catalog. Why does it seem like they send us a new one every third day??? Anyway, the costumes were $30 each, which isn't at all bad considering the price of patterns and fabric these days. So my first instinct is to just order them and save the hassle. However, there were two snags. First of all, the girls didn't want to look exactly alike, and I agreed with this. I thought maybe I could take one of the sashes off of one of them and buy some different coordinating fabric to customize. The other problem was that the sizes ran 6-8 (perfect for Lucy), and 10-12. Hmmm, not sure which to get Jenna. She's tall but skinny. Sometimes she still wears an 8, sometimes a 10. I was worried that I would order the wrong size, and there wouldn't be time for returns.

So, we took a look at the patterns and were able to find one that would work perfectly. Jenna is a real stickler about things looking EXACTLY like the picture. We found some cool fabric to use for the sashes - and the best part was we were able to find some halloweeny fabric in oranges, greens and purples that would look gypsy-ish, yet go with the Disney halloween decorations at the park as well.

Then we headed to the craft area to check out the tie dye kits. They had one in particular that we really liked. The colors were turquoise, green, and indigo. And it looked more like a watercolor effect than tie dye. The initial plan was to stitch the mickey-head in the center and then tie dye them. But when I saw how you could make it look like watercolor, I didn't think that would work well with the stitch resist method. So I decided to do the color dyeing in one step, then the next day, go back and bleach out around a mickey-head template for a "reverse tie-dye" effect.

Here's how they turned out:
DSC_0614.jpg

And a close up:
DSC_0615.jpg

I admit, its pretty subtle. More so than I'd have liked. The mickey is almost hidden. But that's okay. The bad part is - I did mine first. Both on the dyeing step, and the next day on the bleaching step. I figured I'd work out the kinks on mine. So, mine looks ....kinda funny. I may have to redo it.

So what about the intravenous dye, you ask? Well, I think I already whined to yall about my hip situation right? Well, it's not getting better. In fact it started getting worse everyday beginning last Wednesday. By Saturday night, I could hardly sleep. Or move without pain. I woke up (for the umpteenth time) and had to go to the bathroom. I made it in there okay, but once finished, I could not get up! My back had literally frozen up. I had to call for Scott to come in and pull me up off the pot! You can laugh. Its okay, I forgive you;)

So Monday, I finally went in for the xray my doctor had ordered two weeks prior, then I went in to see her. She was very perplexed that the physical therapy hadn't worked. The only thing that the xray showed was that ummm, how do I put this delicately? I needed to be "cleaned out" as she put it. This was news to me - I felt fine in this regards and I knew it wasn't the cause of my hip pain, but she wanted me to take care of it anyway. She suggested a triple dose of Miralax. Then she sent me for a different xray that afternoon and scheduled me for an appointment with an orthopedic doctor for Tuesday morning and a CT scan for Wednesday.

The ortho didn't have much to say. I guess nothing was jumping out at him based on the exam and xray, and he said the CT should tell him more. He did prescribe me a stronger NSAID, though.

I did the CT yesterday. Had to drink 24 ounces of dye, and then have the dye shot in intravenously as well. Have you ever done that before? It is the weirdest feeling! Your whole body gets really warm. Um, especially down there. I felt like I'd peed my pants. I was really convinced that I had! And you feel like you're breathing out fire too. Bizarre, but it goes away pretty quickly.

So, I'm still waiting to hear the results. The good news is, my back is feeling somewhat better than this weekend. The hip is pretty much the same though. The bad new is, I finally took that triple dose of Miralax last night. Wow! Fun stuff. I afraid to stray to far from the house, so I may get more Dis time in today!:laughing:

Click here for Chapter 42. In Two Weeks I'll Be....

Sorry to hear that your hip problems (and others) are continuing. I won't laugh that Scott had to be called in for back-up, but the question is: did he laugh? Not if he knows what's good for him, I imagine.

That intravenous dye thing sounds freaky!

So sorry to hear that your hip is still in pain! That is no fun. I hope everything works out ok!

Your tye-dye shirt is so cute! I just ordered some for me and my DH to wear to MNSSHP and I can't wait to see them in person. I posted a pic over on my PTR if you want to take a look. This girl that does them is SUPER talented!

I think you did a GREAT job on the tie-Dye shirts! I can't wait to see how the rest turn out.

I'm so sorry that you're still having problems. I hope they get it straightened out before your trip.

Sorry to hear that your hip problems (and others) are continuing. I won't laugh that Scott had to be called in for back-up, but the question is: did he laugh? Not if he knows what's good for him, I imagine.

That intravenous dye thing sounds freaky!

No, he didn't. I think he was kind of freaked out!

So sorry to hear that your hip is still in pain! That is no fun. I hope everything works out ok!

Your tye-dye shirt is so cute! I just ordered some for me and my DH to wear to MNSSHP and I can't wait to see them in person. I posted a pic over on my PTR if you want to take a look. This girl that does them is SUPER talented!

I need to get over to your PTR and catch up!

I think you did a GREAT job on the tie-Dye shirts! I can't wait to see how the rest turn out.

I'm so sorry that you're still having problems. I hope they get it straightened out before your trip.

Thanks, me too!

So sorry to hear about your hip problem! I hope that gets taken care of post haste!!

Subbing in because I can't wait to hear about your last minute stuff!

Oh Rebecca, what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had that dye and it is a wierd...icky feeling.

So sorry to hear about your hip problem! I hope that gets taken care of post haste!!

Subbing in because I can't wait to hear about your last minute stuff!

Thank you! And welcome! :cheer2: Glad to have you here!

Oh Rebecca, what a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had that dye and it is a wierd...icky feeling.

Thanks Cynthia, I know. I still haven't heard from the doctors office....

I like your tye dye shirts. The subtleness is a good thing in my opinion. It'll make people do a double take :laughing: Practice makes perfect as they say.... Sorry to hear about your hip problem. That is never fun. And having to be "cleaned" out must've been unpleasant as well. Feel better soon darling :hug:

I love the shirts!! I like how the Mickey is pretty subtle-- like you said, more of a watercolor effect.
I hope you get some answers about what's going on with your hip and start to feel better soon!

I like your tye dye shirts. The subtleness is a good thing in my opinion. It'll make people do a double take :laughing: Practice makes perfect as they say.... Sorry to hear about your hip problem. That is never fun. And having to be "cleaned" out must've been unpleasant as well. Feel better soon darling :hug:

Thank you, Jen!

Unpleasant. I guess that's a good description. Actually, it really wasn't too bad. I take that any day over the hip issue.

I love the shirts!! I like how the Mickey is pretty subtle-- like you said, more of a watercolor effect.
I hope you get some answers about what's going on with your hip and start to feel better soon!

Thank you! I'm going to work on mine today, see if I can make any improvements to it.

Still no answer to the hip problem, although we did get the CT results (finally). I'll report more later....

Cute shirt :goodvibes

Sorry to hear that your hip pain is still bothering you. :sad2:

I've had that dye during a CAT scan. Fun stuff. The tech told me that he had an elderly lady in earlier and he forgot to tell her what it would feel like. He said all of a sudden she started to cry and he asked her what was wrong. She said that she was sorry, but she just pee'd herself. :guilty: He said he felt bad for not warning her.

I really like the shirts! The colors are pretty.I hope you get better soon! A disney vacation helps too!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Cute shirt :goodvibes

Sorry to hear that your hip pain is still bothering you. :sad2:

I've had that dye during a CAT scan. Fun stuff. The tech told me that he had an elderly lady in earlier and he forgot to tell her what it would feel like. He said all of a sudden she started to cry and he asked her what was wrong. She said that she was sorry, but she just pee'd herself. :guilty: He said he felt bad for not warning her.

Oh, no! That poor woman, how sad!:sad2:

Chapter 42. In Two Weeks I'll be...

Well, I got the results back from the CT scan. Luckily, it showed no abnormalities. Unfortunately, that doesn't help identify the hip problem. My doctor told me she'd like me to see a chiropractor. So, I went this afternoon. First time I've ever been to a chiropractor and I've always been a little leery of them, so I don't really know what to think. He thinks it might be a bulging disc. He says if that's the case, he ought to be able to fix me in about two weeks. If its not, then he'll want me to have an MRI. Lets hope he's right - because two weeks is what I've got before we leave!

So, I'm going to play the old "in two weeks we'll be" game. I figure it'll help me get our plans straight. I haven't spent much time on my own itinerary - just lots of time on other people's. :)

It's 8:11 right now, so two weeks from now, we'll be on a plane. In another hour, we'll land. Since it'll be late, we'll collect our own luggage instead of letting DME pick it up. We've arrived at night once before, and there was NO line for the DME bus, so I'm hoping for that scenario again. We ought to be pulling in to Caribbean Beach Resort around 11 eastern time. I know it'll be late, but I have a feeling we'll hit the pool - even if just for a bit. I'll be so amped up that I won't be feeling the hour anyway. I'm hoping we get our request and are placed in the Jamaica section. We'll try to hit the sheets by 12 or 12:30. Nighty night!

Next Update

Oh Rebecca! I wish things were improving for you!! :hug: I hope they are able to figure out what is happening!! The shirts came out pretty cute. :thumbsup2 You could always outline the mickey head, silver would look good with those colors. A thought anyways...I would definitely like to see the Halloween outfits you make, if you do not mind sharing.

:woohoo: for two weeks! So exciting--the trip will be here before you know it. :goodvibes

Did the chiro help at all today? How often will you see him?

You will be amped up, we got in late on our last trip and it's hard to wind down!

Oh Rebecca! I wish things were improving for you!! :hug: I hope they are able to figure out what is happening!! The shirts came out pretty cute. :thumbsup2 You could always outline the mickey head, silver would look good with those colors. A thought anyways...I would definitely like to see the Halloween outfits you make, if you do not mind sharing.

:woohoo: for two weeks! So exciting--the trip will be here before you know it. :goodvibes

Thanks Stephanie, things are improving some. I'm going to be a glass half full person and assume that the chiro is going to work.

Yes, I'll post the costumes when we get them finished. The dress part is done, now she needs to make the colorful sashes that tie around the waist. My parents went to the lake for the weekend, so that'll have to wait until next weekend.

Did the chiro help at all today? How often will you see him?

You will be amped up, we got in late on our last trip and it's hard to wind down!

I think it did help some, but its hard to say. I'll see him again Tuesday. I think its going to be pretty often. I wonder what I'm paying for all this? I need to check my insurance!

I love your tie dye shirt. I think a subtle Mickey is a pretty good look. It'll be even cooler when people notice it!

Oh my, 2 more weeks and you're there! I hope all will be resolved with your hip.

Hi Yuki! Thanks! I worked on improving my tie dye shirt today, so it looks more like everyone else's. I don't want to stand out - at least not in a bad way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter