• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYE Help - staying at the Swan but MK and Epcot are full!

nyenewbie

Earning My Ears
Hi All

Looking for some help please - we're travelling to Florida for two weeks over Christmas, staying outside of Orlando for the week before Christmas then down to Miami for a cruise finishing on NYE.

On NYE and NYD we are staying at the Swan. My intention was to get one day tickets and do MK one day and Epcot the next but then life got a little hectic and now both parks are fully booked for NYE. (I'll book us in for a park on NYD and then the other earlier in the trip rather than NYE).

Having never stayed at the Swan or experienced the NYE mania/traffic at Disney before, please could anyone recommend any activities, we are a family of four with two children aged 6 and 4? On looking, it looks like Disney Springs could be fun but at 3.5 miles away it might be a bit tricky to get there and back.

Thanks in advance, I feel very stressed having messed up a plan that I've been thinking of for ages!

Hi All

Looking for some help please - we're travelling to Florida for two weeks over Christmas, staying outside of Orlando for the week before Christmas then down to Miami for a cruise finishing on NYE.

On NYE and NYD we are staying at the Swan. My intention was to get one day tickets and do MK one day and Epcot the next but then life got a little hectic and now both parks are fully booked for NYE. (I'll book us in for a park on NYD and then the other earlier in the trip rather than NYE).

Having never stayed at the Swan or experienced the NYE mania/traffic at Disney before, please could anyone recommend any activities, we are a family of four with two children aged 6 and 4? On looking, it looks like Disney Springs could be fun but at 3.5 miles away it might be a bit tricky to get there and back.

Thanks in advance, I feel very stressed having messed up a plan that I've been thinking of for ages!
You could easily walk over to the Boardwalk and grab a bus to and from Disney Springs. You will also be within walking distance to Fantasia Gardens mini golf.

Thanks both. Michelle do you suggest anywhere in particular in Disney Springs or know what goes on there? Or have any restaurant recommendations in Disney Springs?

I agree, keep checking for availability. For NYE, with kids that age, I don't think I would want to be inside any park. It is wall to wall people, you can't get on any rides, it's more or less walking around and enjoying the 'atmosphere'.

On NY day, do rope drop at whatever park you get. Everyone was up late the night before and it will be relatively uncrowded until about noon. (based on past NYE/NY day experiences).

Keep checking! :wizard:

Thanks both. Michelle do you suggest anywhere in particular in Disney Springs or know what goes on there? Or have any restaurant recommendations in Disney Springs?

I, personally, would not recommend going to DS on NYE - it will be a madhouse. The Swan/Dolphin have some of the best restaurants on-property, IMHO. I would consider having nice meal there (we like bluezoo, Il Mulino and Shula's). You could also walk around the Boardwalk and visit the different resorts and their gift shops (and see the Christmas decorations). The Boardwalk and Beach Club also have walk-up ice cream places and the Boardwalk has free entertainment in the evenings. There is a playground at Swan/Dolphin and also Swan boats. As PP mentioned, there is also Fantasia mini-golf right across the street next to Swan Reserve. If Hollywood Studios isn't at capacity, you could consider purchasing tickets for that park - you can boat, walk or Skyliner to that park from the Boardwalk area. You can also take the Skyliner for free and visit the Riviera resort if you want to go for a ride with the kids (you can ride the Friendship boats for free as well). May I ask which room category you have booked at the Swan. Some of the deluxe, resort view with balcony rooms have views of Spaceship Earth which means you would be able to see the Epcot fireworks from those rooms - I would consider adding a request for "view of Epcot" to your room reservation. Check the activity listings for Swan/Dolphin as well - they typically have holiday activity offerings for their guests. I feel like you could find enough to do in the Boardwalk area so you wouldn't feel the need to go to Disney Springs which is mostly just shopping and restaurants. If it isn't too cold, Swan/Dolphin has a lovely pool complex as well.

If the weather is good, you can make a nice evening where you are (I agree about avoiding DS. It’s very crowded on the best of days lately).

After the sun goes down, I would take a Disney Friendship boat from Swan/Dolphin over to the Yacht Club and Beach Club. Yacht Club usually has an adorable miniature village with a train, Beach Club usually has a spectacular gingerbread carrousel. Fun for kids and adults. You can walk from there and grab a bite to eat on the Boardwalk. Later, find a spot to watch the EPCOT fireworks (of course you can’t see the projections, but you can see the high in the sky fireworks.). Back at the Dolphin you can get ice cream at the Fountain. Have a wonderful trip!

I would consider park hoppers. Before everyone says "park capacity" do know we hopped to EPCOT from AK last NYE and hopping to MK was available as well (both days).

Bumping this thread as we're doing Epcot on NYE and curious if it makes sense to park hop to HS in the afternoon/evening to avoid the party scene at Epcot later that night. We plan on getting to Epcot at rope drop and hitting a small list of rides then trying HS and Fantasmic over there. Just wanted some thoughts - still trying to get a Fantasmic dining package but haven't had much luck for weeks. We only have one day at Disney as we're flying out the next day.

Epcot is most certainly the best option if staying at Swan given its within walking distance and so easy to access.. Keep checking park availability as Epcot has the highest park capacity and is rarely actually "full", the reservation system is merely a way for Disney to self-manage staffing and crowd levels, so keep checking as they will most likely release more availability in the coming days and weeks.. Another option would be to park hop to Epcot from another park such as DHS or AK, if you park hop IN to Epcot you don't need a reservation.. I would not sweat not being able to get in to Epcot for NYE..

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter