Oahu and Kauai or Just Oahu?

So only slightly hijacking here.....does anyone have any recommendations for a more budget-friendly place to stay on Kauai? We’ve only done Kauai from the cruise ship, so no lodging experience. We had planned Maui and Kauai for 2021, but the hotel rates on Kauai (I know—limited supply) are pretty hard to swallow. We would t spend a lot of time at the hotel as we’d rather be out exploring. Super amenities aren’t needed but three separate sleeping surfaces are a must. Any thoughts??

For 3 sleeping surfaces, I’d recommend looking at renting a timeshare week from someone, like on www.redweek.com. I’ve rented several times from owners in Orlando (Disney), Williamsburg, VA, St. Thomas, Hawaii (when we needed extra weeks). Kauai has some timeshare properties where you can find a 2 bedroom villa often less than a standard hotel. No need to pay for resort amenities that you won’t use.

Kauai is one of the most breathtaking places I've ever been. I don't care if I ever go to Oahu again, but I hope we make it back to Kauai someday. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt and the views were spectacular, the spa was awesome, and the meals were delicious.

We did a Big Island and Kauai trip last year, DS was 15. We loved both islands and would return in a heartbeat to both, but Kauai just has something really special. If you do go to Kauai and your DS is remotely into fishing, I highly recommend a fishing charter. We used www.hawaiianstylefishing.com, it was a big highlight of our trip and I can't recommend Captain Terry enough. DS also enjoyed tubing in the irrigation channels with kauaibackcountry.com.

In Kauai we did a timeshare rental at Pono Kai resort in Kapaa. Not fancy, but right on the shore and within walking distance to a lot of little restaurants and shops.

Just to echo what previous posters said: with 7 days, there is enough on Oahu that there's no good reason to hop to another island. We were on Oahu for seven nights at Christmas time and we needed maybe two more days. So much to see on Oahu. Gorgeous natural beauty too.

There is certainly enough to see and do on Oahu to fill 7 days. But (ironically) even though they filmed Jurassic Park in Oahu, being on Kauai FEELS like you’ve been dropped into Jurassic Park. It’s breathtakingly beautiful and lush—it just seems impossible that it’s real.

Now, that said, on a trip that short, I’d just do Oahu. As PP said, you’ll essentially lose a precious day. But my recommendation is secret option C—add 2-4 days and do both!!

That's actually incorrect! MOST of Jurassic Park was filmed in Kauai:magnify:
even though they filmed Jurassic Park in Oahu, being on Kauai FEELS like you’ve been dropped into Jurassic Park.

It was only a few scenes that they HAD to film in Oahu (mainly at Kualoa Ranch.. private ranch were many movies get filmed) because of the 1992 hurricane Iniki :eek:🌪that devastated the island of Kauai while they were filming! a lot of the cast had to be airlifted and Spielberg helped many others leave Kauai as well.

That's actually incorrect! MOST of Jurassic Park was filmed in Kauai:magnify:

It was only a few scenes that they HAD to film in Oahu (mainly at Kualoa Ranch.. private ranch were many movies get filmed) because of the 1992 hurricane Iniki :eek:🌪that devastated the island of Kauai while they were filming! a lot of the cast had to be airlifted and Spielberg helped many others leave Kauai as well.
I had no idea! Well then my observation was correct—the whole island really did look just like Jurassic Park! It’s just extraordinarily beautiful and it just seems so untouched. Really wish I’d win the lottery so I could stay a week at one of the swanky resorts on each island! I already took my “once in a lifetime” 4-island trip, but I loved it SO much that I’m just not going to be able to stop at once!

To respond to the post... I live in Oahu and I would highly suggest doing both Kauai and Oahu. I would do 4 nights in Kauai and 3 in Oahu. While there are beautiful places to see in Oahu, it wont feel like once in a life time vacation just bc of how over populated and metropolitan it is. of course you can go up to north shore but still... its not the true hawaiian feeling. That would be my suggestion! here are some ideas of what to do in each and feel free to reach out if you want more input :) And yes while i list more things in Oahu.. the quality and memories of the things you'll do in Kauai way surpass the ones in Oahu :) ENJOY!

Oahu to do
  • Boat Tour to the sand bar at Kaneohe * love this tour! Look online for it – ALL that have gone have LOVED it
  • Arizona memorial
  • Snorkeling at Hanauma bay and at Sharks cove
  • Visit dole plantation - <3 Dole Whip
  • Kayak to Lanikai islands!!!! Strongly suggest. There are tours that take you to the back of the left island which is unforgettable
  • Waikiki sunset sails
  • Drive through tantalus dr – awesome view of waikiki!! Breathtaking
  • Hike diamond head
Oahu Beaches
  • Waikiki Beach
  • Lanikai Beach
  • Ko’olina Lagoons (2nd one is my favorite, less people; but 1st (Disney) lagoon its also nice
Oahu FOODS/Fav restaurants:
  • Helenas – the most amazing authentic food! Pipikala is to die for! Or to dai for!
  • Aulani AmaAma – cute for lunch and taking a pictures w/ Mickey Mouse in luau gear
  • Rainbow – LOCAL! Best loco moco ever!
  • House w/o a key – live dancing every night, typically an ex Miss Hawaii. Traditional dancing J Expensive, so many eat appetizers.
  • Rumfire – more bar type. Great hamburger with truffle cheese.
  • Giovannis – Best shrimp food truck! (PS – and I've tried most of them… Giovannis still the best)
  • La mer! – French .love love but $$$$$$
  • Azure – AMAZING… $$$$ but one of my favorites and the view is just… u cant ask for more. This is the one splurge we do when we come for vacation/honeymoon
Oahu Luaus:
  • Paradise Cove HANDS DOWN. It’s my 2nd fav luau in all of the islands! 1st is in maui but they are pretty close – best overall bc different activities, etc

Kauai
  • This is probably out of everything I have done in the Hawaiian islands one of my favorite.. which speak volumes.. MUST do a snorkel/boat tour to Napali coast. My TOP tour of Choice is: Capt. Andy's Raft (the one where you do the landing at the beach)– you land at a beach you can only get by boat and you learn so much of the culture… really amazing https://www.tombarefoot.com/hawaii-activities/5168
  • The other one thing I mention it was great was the hike to Hanakapiai Valley – sort of challenging but amazing views of the coast! Loved it.. it’s past Princeville in the north of the island – you have to make reserevations to park in advance… (FYI - The hike to Hanakapiai takes about 1.5 hours and another 1.5 for the trip back) we did it in a bit less…but again it’s a doable hike and views all over the place which is unbelievable !
  • If anything… u must see and drive up to the canyon (Waimea Valley)... make sure you go allll the way up until you get to the parking lot where you cant go anymore ;) AND then hike a little the trail up so that you can see the amazing view (although there is usually fog bc it rains so much in Kauai, but still it rains and stops so still go !)
  • My other favorite thing we did here was the helicopter ride! Just amazing! No other words. Your eyes cannot stop seeing how many waterfalls there are! We used Blue Hawaiian Helicopter
  • Luau: Smiths family Luau. Great show!
  • Beach.
    • Lumahai – favorite in Hawaii I think! Hard to know where it is but AMAZING!
    • Poipu beach
    • Ke'e beach
  • Restaurants
    • Beach house
    • Lava Lava
    • Ocean House

Paradise Cove HANDS DOWN. It’s my 2nd fav luau in all of the islands! 1st is in maui but they are pretty close – best overall bc different activities, etc
Since I’m planning Maui next, please share that one too! We did Paradise Cove and loved it.

Since I’m planning Maui next, please share that one too! We did Paradise Cove and loved it.

Sure! see below :) I have my lists prepared for friends and family that always ask me about the islands since we live here. MAUI is my favorite place in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD! :love:they finally opened interisland flights w/ no quarantined and ive gone 3 times the past month! Enjoy!

Maui Info:
  • Haleakala Volcano at sunrise (be there by 5:30ish ..and it’s really REALLY cold up there – we even bring gloves so you need to leave hotel around 2:30-3 am). Do it the FIRST day you are there (leave hotel around 3 am to make it in time and get good spots! – that’s why you do it the first day because after the flight you’ll most likely be awake at 3 am anyways). NOTE: online reservation are required in advance and they sell out at peak times.
  • Cliff house – JUMPING and clear water to float and relax. Parking is limited so go early in the morning.
  • See Lahaina town.. walk around have lunch/dinner anywhere there
  • Do the road to Hana(entire day experience) – BUY the voice CD that you put it on your car and it tells you about the area as you drive through it. Go early (7am), skip twin falls and just go to the rest of the stops
    • Mile marker 6 – rainbow eucalyptus trees
    • Mile marker 9 – awesome waterfall to stop and swim and cliff jump! Not too crowded. There is another waterfall behind if u hike past the one waterfall
    • Mile marker 19-21 – three bears. Nice to swim in
    • Mile maker 24.5 – great waterfall to stop and swim
    • Waianapapa park- the black sand beach park and you can cliff jump on the left rocks by the blowhole
  • Hamoa Beach; Koki (red sand)
  • See the valley of Iao Needle
  • Do a boat tour to Molokini
    • My favorites is definitely blue water raft, but catamaran are fun too – we used Trilogy
    • Blue water rafting – definably to the 5.5 hrs … it is worth it! We as locals have done it like 5 times with them.
Beaches
  • Makena beach
  • Cliff house! LOVE to snorkel, cliff jump and just swim and relax
  • Wailea beach
  • Secret beach (past Makena)
  • Ho’okipa to see turtles outside beach
  • Kaanakapali but towards the end of the beach where the rocks are bc that beach is really windy and you’ll be covered with sand any other part of the beach. Plus you can jump off the rocks there! Also great for snorkeling with Honus (Turtles)
  • Napili beach – stunning blue
  • If you are adventures, towards the north are the Olivine pools and the Nakalele Blowhole. Pretty cool! a hike but worth it!
Maui fav foods
  • Pacific Os – Lahaina – ocean front
  • Huhunukunukuapuaa – romatic $$$
  • Ferraros – 4 season wailea $$$
  • Café O’lei in Kihei– Awesome French onion soup and good quality plate lunches
  • Kihei caffe – great for breakfast and yummy coffee drinks. Cash only!
  • Poi by the Pound - Amazing Authentic HAWAIIAN food. Small local place but worth it for the food. ONO (yummy) poke!
  • Any restaurant at Kaanapali beach, beach front! I like hula grill
  • Mala at Lahaina – ocean view and great food
  • Kula Ranch – Perfect place after seeing Haleakala because it has an amazing view and you are still up in the kula mountains.
  • Tedeschi vineyards Winery. Nice to do wine tasting of pineapple and passion fruit wine!
Maui Luaus:
  • Maui: Feast at Lele! THE BEST luau in all islands. It’s small and private and really well done. Very different experience from all the ones at any other island. Very personalized and intimate

So only slightly hijacking here.....does anyone have any recommendations for a more budget-friendly place to stay on Kauai? We’ve only done Kauai from the cruise ship, so no lodging experience. We had planned Maui and Kauai for 2021, but the hotel rates on Kauai (I know—limited supply) are pretty hard to swallow. We would t spend a lot of time at the hotel as we’d rather be out exploring. Super amenities aren’t needed but three separate sleeping surfaces are a must. Any thoughts??

I HIGHLY recommend The Kauai Inn. It's on Hulemalu Rd in Lihue. It is a cute place. I believe it is the oldest hotel on Kauai so it's got a lot of history. It's got a nice pool and the people that work there are the nicest people.

I would absolutely go to Kauai. I'd do whatever it takes to stay there - at least for 3 - 4 days. In fact, my entire family has been to all islands and we all agree that Kauai is the best!

So only slightly hijacking here.....does anyone have any recommendations for a more budget-friendly place to stay on Kauai?

We stayed at the Koloa Landing Resort in Poipu, not exactly cheap but less than than the top tier hotels. Beautiful condo-style rooms with on a resort type property. We stayed four days and saw most of what we wanted to, but it was worth it to us to split the trip so that our kids could make it to the two islands they hadn't visited yet (Kauai & Big Island).

I've turned our trip into a 3-island split: 4 nights on Kauai, 4 nights on the Big Island, and 4 nights on Oahu. We probably won't return to Hawaii in the forseeable future, so I wanted to have some time on each major island (I've already been to Maui). We're so looking forward to it!

Another vote for Kauai. We loved Kauai so much, I went back 4 months later (without the family, met up w my brother instead), and tried to go again this summer. I’d love to retire there one day.

It’s friendly and a bit sleepy in great way. The landscape is breathtaking.

(I’m sure you know, but in case you don’t: log into GoHaena.com 4 weeks before Napali (if planning to hike to Hanakapi’ai Beach or Falls or go to Ke’e Beach) to grab a $5 parking pass. They sell out in 20 minutes Hawaii time 12 midnight. You’ll otherwise be confined to the shuttle at $11 a head. During this pandemic it’s at 2 weeks but will go back to 4 weeks whenever they reopen meaningfully. )

Last edited:
For a 7 to 8 days, I would stay on Oahu and enjoy all the beauty!. Aulani is such a gorgeous resort! What a memorable trip, summer of 2014, high school graduation trip for youngest son. Such great memories!
We are HOPING to make it back for our 40th:love:, in three years. When we went we also went for what is considered rather short,
8 nights, considering we did the trip non stop from Newark, NJ we just did Oahu, so much to do and relax and enjoy the beauty of the resort. Hoping for our 40th to layover in LA, do Disneyland a day or two, then continue on. For our 40th, we will do a minimum 10 to 12 night trip..
ENJOY your trip! :)

Maui: Feast at Lele! THE BEST luau in all islands. It’s small and private and really well done. Very different experience from all the ones at any other island. Very personalized and intimate
I second this! We loved Feast at Lele, one of my favorite memories from our trip!

I second this! We loved Feast at Lele, one of my favorite memories from our trip!
Ok this looks AMAZING.....but the menu is just too limited for my picky DD and semi-picky DH :(

Drums of the Pacific looks like a show my DS would enjoy but the food looks pretty plain. Although it looked on par with Paradise Cove which we still enjoyed tremendously. Anyone done it?

How about Te Au Moana? That one would be closest to our hotel so we can actually take advantage of the bar. Food looks good and the backdrop of the ocean is lovely. Anyone been?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter