OBB and 3-day park hopper Observations

Gaub

Earning My Ears
This isn't a detailed trip report so much as my observations from spending 3 days at DL/DCA from 9/13-9/15. For reference, this is my 9th time to the parks since 2002 and my son's 4th (he's 22 now). We booked this trip back in the spring and flew from Oregon. About a month after we had booked our park hopper tickets, they announced the dates for OBB. Unfortunately, 2 out of our 3 nights was OBB. This meant that DCA closed at 6PM and since you can only park hop at 1PM, the value of our Park Hopper was diminished significantly. They seriously need to remove the 1PM restriction since you already pay more for the privilege to park hop and limiting it this way doesn't make any business sense to me.

Day one, we started at DL. Day two, at DCA. Day three, DL. We purchased Genie+ each day and paid for Rise on Day one and three.

I flew down for a quick solo trip last July. The parks were cleaner this time around. While it was incredibly busy last year, this year it was off the chart's busy! Disney no longer seems to feel that the guest experience is the thing. The cast members were all great. Anytime a LL attraction went down, that meant that those lines were even longer later on after they opened back up. This is because current LL and previous LL times were honored at the same time. When multiple major attractions would be down at the same time, LL lines could stretch out to an hour (as one cast member told my son). That means that standby lines would be that much longer.

Part of the reason everything was so busy was the OBB. 2 of our 3 days we started at DL, but couldn't park hop until 1PM and then had to be done by 6PM. They open up OBB attendance at 3PM. So from shortly after 3pm until 6pm, it's a wall of people, throughout the park. If Disney wanted to bring value to their park hopper guests (who've already paid more), they would extend the OBB benefits to those that have already paid (or at least allow those guests to participate until 8PM).

While in an extraordinarily long LL line for Guardians, the guy in front of me was complaining to a cast member about the long lines, etc. She empathized with him and said that Disney keeps raising prices but isn't returning the extra investments back into the parks and she's right! She also said that they overbook the parks. She's worked there 5 years and has never seen things this busy. She said that they can limit park attendance to enhance the guest experience but refuse to do so. She didn't say these things as if she had an ax to grind, but more matter of factly.

Little things like the moving cobra and giant boulder at the end of Indy haven't been working for quite some time. It's can't be that hard to fix those two things. It would add so much to that ride for new guests, and previous guests know what they are missing from those two features being allowed to stay broken. They did add bats to the first cavern on Big Thunder, which is a nice touch and an improvement.

I'm not an "evil corporation" guy at all. I'm well aware of what it takes (financial and human capital) to run a park this size. I'd be interested to hear some actual numbers around income per day at DL alone. 50,000 guests a day is likely pretty accurate, if not an underestimation. Probably at least 80% of those purchase Genie+ and a smaller number purchase the paid ILL. Add that to the cost of a daily ticket, and then the purchases of merchandise and food/drink, and Disney's income is massively gigantic on a per day basis. What their costs are on a daily basis that comes out of that? I'm not sure. But surely they could fix the elements of Indy that I listed above. That's a one time fix in the short term and adds so much to that attraction. I realize they are planning for changing out Splash and currently working on Toon Town and the Matterhorn, but the fixes I mentioned are a drop in the bucket, comparatively. And the 1PM Park Hopper restriction absolutely needs to be dropped! That would help even out crowds to a certain extent rather than create bottlenecks every day.

We left DL on our final day around 6:30PM. There was nothing but walls and walls of people in one direction and a sea of people in the other. Splash, Space, Big Thunder, and Haunted Mansion were all down at the same time. Literally everything else in the park was. 35-75 minute wait as those attractions absorbed idle guests. I know these breakdowns are inevitable. But they have a lot of work to do to keep from turning people off of their parks. I also realize there is a massive contingent of cult Disney fanatics that don't care. This is straight talk here. While we had a good time, some of the magic is gone. The value is just not there for us any longer. For those that are local and can go more often, that may not be the case. For those of us that can only make it there every few years? It's become cost-prohibitive and just doesn't have the same value as previous years. This is not to take away from anyone's enjoyment of the brand or the parks. It's more of a "heads-up" to those that are planning on returning. I want to set expectations accordingly so that you can enjoy the parks as much as possible! :)

Thank you for your report. I think some others have mentioned the expiration date of the California resident summer tickets may have impacted the crowds last week. I am going to try to remember that to share it next year as a cautionary tale.

I do empathize with the 1 PM park hopper time but then 3 PM entry time for the party. I feel like Disney could move the dial on one of those to provide more space or at least commit to not doing it more than once within a 72 hour period like in your case. Or not do it when you also have special resident tickets expiring!

I also agree the animatronics should be working! I get why limiting some of the features of Rise may help keep it from breaking down, so that I can begrudgingly see the benefit there.

I didn't think you were overly negative, just honest. Thank you.

What are people doing when the breakdowns are this bad? Is there anything left in the park to "escape" to? Great Moments with Lincoln? Anything?

Thank you for your report. I think some others have mentioned the expiration date of the California resident summer tickets may have impacted the crowds last week. I am going to try to remember that to share it next year as a cautionary tale.

I do empathize with the 1 PM park hopper time but then 3 PM entry time for the party. I feel like Disney could move the dial on one of those to provide more space or at least commit to not doing it more than once within a 72 hour period like in your case. Or not do it when you have special resident tickets expiring!

I also agree the animatronics should be working! I get why limiting some of the features of Rise may help keep it from breaking down, so that I can begrudgingly see the benefit there.

I didn't think you were overly negative, just honest. Thank you.

What are people doing when the breakdowns are this bad? Is there anything left in the park to "escape" to? Great Moments with Lincoln? Anything?
Great Moments was down several times this week, too! Thank you for acknowledging that I wasn't being negative, because that was not my intent...just wanted to be honest. I, too, would like to see the AT-ATs firing, but I read why that may not be feasible any longer and have accepted that to be the case. :)

Great Moments was down several times this week, too! Thank you for acknowledging that I wasn't being negative, because that was not my intent...just wanted to be honest. I, too, would like to see the AT-ATs firing, but I read why that may not be feasible any longer and have accepted that to be the case. :)

LOL how does GMWL go down?? Multiple times? That's just silly. If Lincoln isn't working, have a B mode with a special movie about Walt or something.

I am trying to have a contingency plan to "make the best of it", if I run into a scenario like yours.

Too bad there isn't a closed up broadway type theatre or an empty building in Tomorrowland they could use to pull crowds. :)

Last edited:

Thanks for the report! I hope they stop the 1:00 hop time sometime, it really makes a difference on your park day. Did you have any favorite meals or rides or experiences during your trip?

Thanks for the report! I hope they stop the 1:00 hop time sometime, it really makes a difference on your park day. Did you have any favorite meals or rides or experiences during your trip?
I think it was Mandy that was working Rope Drop @ DCA for Guardians on Wednesday. She was fantastic at interacting with the crowd, explaining how rope drop works, give everyone expectations ahead of time to facilitate the 8AM open! Chicken at Plaza Inn was fantastic as always. My son said that it a "must-do" for food in the future. The best fried chicken he's ever had. Indy seems more rough than usual; I noticed the same thing last July. My son said that he didn't remember it being that rough. Everything else was as normal as far as the attractions go. Splash Mountain should be named "Soaked Mountain" because that's what happens! ;) (We came prepared with sandals and put our shoes/socks in ziplocks and in our backpacks.)

I think it was Mandy that was working Rope Drop @ DCA for Guardians on Wednesday. She was fantastic at interacting with the crowd, explaining how rope drop works, give everyone expectations ahead of time to facilitate the 8AM open! Chicken at Plaza Inn was fantastic as always. My son said that it a "must-do" for food in the future. The best fried chicken he's ever had. Indy seems more rough than usual; I noticed the same thing last July. My son said that he didn't remember it being that rough. Everything else was as normal as far as the attractions go. Splash Mountain should be named "Soaked Mountain" because that's what happens! ;) (We came prepared with sandals and put our shoes/socks in ziplocks and in our backpacks.)
I love that Plaza Inn chicken! It's funny about Splash because in the past we didn't get especially wet. This time everyone was soaked and we bought ponchos for the next time we rode it. Good idea to bring baggies, I'll copy that next time :)

While I definitely tend to agree with you on the attractions to be working at full capacity (I’ve heard IJ is a joke right now), I wonder what that kind of fix would mean for ride closure time? I mean, I literally have no idea if those fixes could be overnight or if we’re taking about a 1-2 weeks closure? If it could be done overnight; shame on them. No excuse. It’s not about the cost. That’s what makes me think it’s two other things. 1) It could be a pure lack of employees. It seems like many business are STILL dealing with being short staffed and Disney is no exception. 2) the fixes would require some closure time and, well, you’re already saying it’s bottlenecked and insanely crowded and lines are exceedingly long. When big rides are experiencing closure, we know what that does to crowd dispersement. Expect those long lines to be even longer. Halloweentime and then right on its heels is Holidays - some of the busiest times we see at the park. Halloweentime, especially, has become increasingly popular with the decor, the parties and now many surrounding school districts having “fall break”.

I tend to defend Disney more than I probably should most of the time, but I echo your sentiments on charging more for less of an experience. There is no bigger example, to me, than Genie+ and LL. It is an absolute downgrade from Max Pass for more money. That has really irked me…

This isn't a detailed trip report so much as my observations from spending 3 days at DL/DCA from 9/13-9/15. For reference, this is my 9th time to the parks since 2002 and my son's 4th (he's 22 now). We booked this trip back in the spring and flew from Oregon. About a month after we had booked our park hopper tickets, they announced the dates for OBB. Unfortunately, 2 out of our 3 nights was OBB. This meant that DCA closed at 6PM and since you can only park hop at 1PM, the value of our Park Hopper was diminished significantly. They seriously need to remove the 1PM restriction since you already pay more for the privilege to park hop and limiting it this way doesn't make any business sense to me.

Day one, we started at DL. Day two, at DCA. Day three, DL. We purchased Genie+ each day and paid for Rise on Day one and three.

I flew down for a quick solo trip last July. The parks were cleaner this time around. While it was incredibly busy last year, this year it was off the chart's busy! Disney no longer seems to feel that the guest experience is the thing. The cast members were all great. Anytime a LL attraction went down, that meant that those lines were even longer later on after they opened back up. This is because current LL and previous LL times were honored at the same time. When multiple major attractions would be down at the same time, LL lines could stretch out to an hour (as one cast member told my son). That means that standby lines would be that much longer.

Part of the reason everything was so busy was the OBB. 2 of our 3 days we started at DL, but couldn't park hop until 1PM and then had to be done by 6PM. They open up OBB attendance at 3PM. So from shortly after 3pm until 6pm, it's a wall of people, throughout the park. If Disney wanted to bring value to their park hopper guests (who've already paid more), they would extend the OBB benefits to those that have already paid (or at least allow those guests to participate until 8PM).

While in an extraordinarily long LL line for Guardians, the guy in front of me was complaining to a cast member about the long lines, etc. She empathized with him and said that Disney keeps raising prices but isn't returning the extra investments back into the parks and she's right! She also said that they overbook the parks. She's worked there 5 years and has never seen things this busy. She said that they can limit park attendance to enhance the guest experience but refuse to do so. She didn't say these things as if she had an ax to grind, but more matter of factly.

Little things like the moving cobra and giant boulder at the end of Indy haven't been working for quite some time. It's can't be that hard to fix those two things. It would add so much to that ride for new guests, and previous guests know what they are missing from those two features being allowed to stay broken. They did add bats to the first cavern on Big Thunder, which is a nice touch and an improvement.

I'm not an "evil corporation" guy at all. I'm well aware of what it takes (financial and human capital) to run a park this size. I'd be interested to hear some actual numbers around income per day at DL alone. 50,000 guests a day is likely pretty accurate, if not an underestimation. Probably at least 80% of those purchase Genie+ and a smaller number purchase the paid ILL. Add that to the cost of a daily ticket, and then the purchases of merchandise and food/drink, and Disney's income is massively gigantic on a per day basis. What their costs are on a daily basis that comes out of that? I'm not sure. But surely they could fix the elements of Indy that I listed above. That's a one time fix in the short term and adds so much to that attraction. I realize they are planning for changing out Splash and currently working on Toon Town and the Matterhorn, but the fixes I mentioned are a drop in the bucket, comparatively. And the 1PM Park Hopper restriction absolutely needs to be dropped! That would help even out crowds to a certain extent rather than create bottlenecks every day.

We left DL on our final day around 6:30PM. There was nothing but walls and walls of people in one direction and a sea of people in the other. Splash, Space, Big Thunder, and Haunted Mansion were all down at the same time. Literally everything else in the park was. 35-75 minute wait as those attractions absorbed idle guests. I know these breakdowns are inevitable. But they have a lot of work to do to keep from turning people off of their parks. I also realize there is a massive contingent of cult Disney fanatics that don't care. This is straight talk here. While we had a good time, some of the magic is gone. The value is just not there for us any longer. For those that are local and can go more often, that may not be the case. For those of us that can only make it there every few years? It's become cost-prohibitive and just doesn't have the same value as previous years. This is not to take away from anyone's enjoyment of the brand or the parks. It's more of a "heads-up" to those that are planning on returning. I want to set expectations accordingly so that you can enjoy the parks as much as possible! :)

We’re annual pass holders, and we were there today, Sunday, 9/25. It’s funny….. I was thinking several of the same things while riding POTC today. I also think it’s the little things that they’ve let slip… for example, today, for at least the 3rd time since summer, the CM didn’t properly scan in my daughter, which I didn’t discover until we were standing in line for haunted mansion holiday, buying genie plus. We went to the plaids outside of HM, and apparently if you have a pass, you have to go all the way back to the front to rescan. This is super annoying because we intentionally arrived at 7:00, so we could rope drop and get as much done as we could before the hoards descended. It wasted basically 20-25 minutes of valuable early morning park time, and we had to walk all the way back to the front of the park and wait for a CM to rescan, and not once did any CM even apologize for the inconvenience. The plaids could’ve cared less, and the manager I finally found at the front didn’t care either. Several years ago, they would’ve at a minimum apologized, and at most given us some free fast passes for the inconvenience. Sorry for the novel. This really irritated me and I guess I needed to vent!

We’ve noticed over the last several months things missing from rides…. The lady chasing the man in circles on Pirates, the big fire blast in BTMRR, and don’t even get me started on the poor hula dancers on IASW. They were down to one working hula dancer today. I don’t think they’ve all worked since we got passes back in February! There’s other things too… I’m just momentarily forgetting.

Today when the park opened, Indiana Jones and ROTR were down, and it took them several hours for Indy to get up and running. Space also went down for awhile.

The crowds are horrendous, the wait times for mobile order were terrible today, and the customer service is not what it once was. I find myself asking “what has happened to this place?!” I also felt the crowd today was rough, which is unusual. Some girl screamed F…. … to her friend as we were leaving Splash Mountain, except she used the actual word, in front of a gazillion kids, and the crowd had some super rough looking people similar to what I’ve seen at Knotts lately.

Today was the last weekend enchant isn’t blocked out until November, so we expected it to be nuts, and it was. I cannot stand the 1pm park hopping restriction…. And you’re right…. It’s the worst on OBB days.

We’re done for awhile. We’re doing OBB in October and we won’t be back until the Christmas stuff is out.

Last edited:
We’re annual pass holders, and we were there today, Sunday, 9/25. It’s funny….. I was thinking several of the same things while riding POTC today. I also think it’s the little things that they’ve let slip… for example, today, for at least the 3rd time since summer, the CM didn’t properly scan in my daughter, which I didn’t discover until we were standing in line for haunted mansion holiday, buying genie plus. We went to the plaids outside of HM, and apparently if you have a pass, you have to go all the way back to the front to rescan. This is super annoying because we intentionally arrived at 7:00, so we could rope drop and get as much done as we could before the hoards descended. It wasted basically 20-25 minutes of valuable early morning park time, and we had to walk all the way back to the front of the park and wait for a CM to rescan, and not once did any CM even apologize for the inconvenience. The plaids could’ve cared less, and the manager I finally found at the front didn’t care either. Several years ago, they would’ve at a minimum apologized, and at most given us some free fast passes for the inconvenience. Sorry for the novel. This really irritated me and I guess I needed to vent!

We’ve noticed over the last several months things missing from rides…. The lady chasing the man in circles on Pirates, the big fire blast in BTMRR, and don’t even get me started on the poor hula dancers on IASW. They were down to one working hula dancer today. I don’t think they’ve all worked since we got passes back in February! There’s other things too… I’m just momentarily forgetting.

Today when the park opened, Indiana Jones and ROTR were down, and it took them several hours for Indy to get up and running. Space also went down for awhile.

The crowds are horrendous, the wait times for mobile order were terrible today, and the customer service is not what it once was. I find myself asking “what has happened to this place?!” I also felt the crowd today was rough, which is unusual. Some girl screamed F…. … to her friend as we were leaving Splash Mountain, except she used the actual word, in front of a gazillion kids, and the crowd had some super rough looking people similar to what I’ve seen at Knotts lately.

Today was the last weekend enchant isn’t blocked out until November, so we expected it to be nuts, and it was. I cannot stand the 1pm park hopping restriction…. And you’re right…. It’s the worst on OBB days.

We’re done for awhile. We’re doing OBB in October and we won’t be back until the Christmas stuff is out.
This makes me so sad to hear.
My son is moving to San Diego soon and we planned on making our first ever visit to DL in the coming year.
I had high hopes that things here weren’t as bad as what I’m hearing is happening at WDW, but it seems it is so.
We’ve done WDW quite a few times, (last in 2019) but I was looking forward to seeing DL finally.
Seems like both parks are suffering.
😭

Yikes! We are going on our first DL trip next month with one OBB day in the middle (and we booked too late to PAY EXTRA for to have full day access to a park for which we already have a park ticket and park hopper!). I will try and manage our expectations. We have one Monday that doesn’t coincide with any holidays or school days I am aware of so I hope that day crowds are manageable and we can do things we don’t get to on Sat/Sun.

We went to WDW in 2019 and definitely had some signs of maintenance issues and there were a couple of things ewe just didn’t get to do because of maintenance/breakdowns.

Yikes! We are going on our first DL trip next month with one OBB day in the middle (and we booked too late to PAY EXTRA for to have full day access to a park for which we already have a park ticket and park hopper!). I will try and manage our expectations. We have one Monday that doesn’t coincide with any holidays or school days I am aware of so I hope that day crowds are manageable and we can do things we don’t get to on Sat/Sun.

We went to WDW in 2019 and definitely had some signs of maintenance issues and there were a couple of things ewe just didn’t get to do because of maintenance/breakdowns.

It’s a strange phenomenon, but Mondays at DLR can be busier than weekends.

Whoa Nellie...... I can not believe how the parks are post the Covid closure.
I had been a long time AP but have chose not to buy the new pass because of how the parks are.

The "Magic" at the "Happiest place" isn't the same.....
It will have to drastically improve for me to make another trip.

Good Luck to those going to DLR, I hope you enjoy the time in the parks.

Geemo

Today was the last weekend enchant isn’t blocked out until November, so we expected it to be nuts, and it was.

I'm not saying the two are related, necessarily.

I'm also not not saying it.

I'm not saying the two are related, necessarily.

I'm also not not saying it.
LOL I get it, and I had similar thoughts. It sounds stupid but I keep asking the Disney gods to please allow us to upgrade our passes when they’re up for renewal in February. I cannot deal with this Enchant pass. Pardon the expression, but it completely SUCKS. Nothing else was available when we moved out here, so I’m glad we have it, but ugh. We’d pay for whatever the new top tier pass is in a second if they’d let us.

This makes me so sad to hear.
My son is moving to San Diego soon and we planned on making our first ever visit to DL in the coming year.
I had high hopes that things here weren’t as bad as what I’m hearing is happening at WDW, but it seems it is so.
We’ve done WDW quite a few times, (last in 2019) but I was looking forward to seeing DL finally.
Seems like both parks are suffering.
😭

I would go during a time when Enchant and below passes are blocked…. I would choose a weekend where they’re blocked over a weekday when the passes are unblocked. Enchant was blocked out all summer, so we went on a Southern California resident ticket, and I felt like the crowds were better and nicer than what we saw yesterday.

I also think the Halloween stuff brings some interesting people out…..

But the broken rides, rides being down consistently, and lack of magical customer service has been a constant since we moved back and bought passes in February.

OP I'm so sorry you ended up with a trip that had OBB two nights of your three night trip. Your post was insightful without complaining, especially from the perspective of someone who doesn't get to visit as often as I do.

My group of Californians aren't a fan of the 1p park hop time either, and early in our APs this year we decided that every day we didn't have a restaurant at DCA booked before noon we'd start our day in DL because there wasn't enough to do or eat in DCA to occupy us until 1p.

I hope that at some point DL will move the park hopping time to noon or even 11a, I think that would increase the value of a hopper, especially when those parties are happening. Of all the changes instituted post-pandemic the not being able to hop until 1 hit us the hardest. I'll try to remember to mention it in every guest survey I get from now on, which it seems like they're always having us do guest surveys, and if everyone keeps complaining, maybe the Parks management team will take the hint.

OP I'm so sorry you ended up with a trip that had OBB two nights of your three night trip. Your post was insightful without complaining, especially from the perspective of someone who doesn't get to visit as often as I do.

My group of Californians aren't a fan of the 1p park hop time either, and early in our APs this year we decided that every day we didn't have a restaurant at DCA booked before noon we'd start our day in DL because there wasn't enough to do or eat in DCA to occupy us until 1p.

I hope that at some point DL will move the park hopping time to noon or even 11a, I think that would increase the value of a hopper, especially when those parties are happening. Of all the changes instituted post-pandemic the not being able to hop until 1 hit us the hardest.

Completely agree… if we have to start at DCA, we book a table service meal either at DCA, DTD, or a character meal at one of the hotels to tide us over until we can get into Disneyland at 1pm.

LOL I get it, and I had similar thoughts. It sounds stupid but I keep asking the Disney gods to please allow us to upgrade our passes when they’re up for renewal in February. I cannot deal with this Enchant pass. Pardon the expression, but it completely SUCKS. Nothing else was available when we moved out here, so I’m glad we have it, but ugh. We’d pay for whatever the new top tier pass is in a second if they’d let us.

You'll be able to upgrade. Everyone who has renewed has been able to choose any of the 4 options.

You can upgrade when you renew!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter