• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ODD kids (not odd kids :) )

isyne4u

<font color=blue>Next time I get a craving for cak
I have a son who is ADHD and last summer I posted a question about Aspbergers and Sensory Integration issues. Well, he has been diagnosed with Sensory Integration Issues as well as being Oppositional Defiant.

He was only having problems at home and everyone at his school thought I was a loon until this past week where he, as his teacher said, "he went off his rocker". (btw..she didn't mean that negatively jsut that kids tend to do this sometimes) He began disrupting class, he shoved a kid on the bus, then he started hitting anyone near him, and was generally a royal PITA in class. Home wasn't much better and by Monday morning I was ready to go back to work and get away from him.

We started new ADHD meds yesterday and started with a counselor and we are hoping to work out some of these issues as well as helping me be a better parent towards him.

So here is my point for you all...please tell me that ODD kids grow up and become productive people. I have all these visions of my son being in reform school or getting kicked out of school and not being able to be a productive member of society. I just need to know that these kids are not hopeless.

My son isn't that bad...yet. I'm just worried about what could happen to him if I can't get a handle on this.

Thank you for any thoughts anyone might have on this matter.

tara
(nervous nellie mother who is also a Sp. Ed. teacher with just enough info to be dangerous!)

So here is my point for you all...please tell me that ODD kids grow up and become productive people.

I'm a special ed teacher too. My first two years of teaching I was at a school for children with emotional disturbance and I had a little boy in my class who fit the ODD label quite nicely. The first year I had him (he turned seven that year) he regularly threw long violent temper tantrums, until about March when they started to taper off. The second year I had him he didn't tantrum, but was still very impulsive and oppositional. By the end of that year he had made enough progress that he moved to a school for children with learning disabilities and ADHD (he didn't have any learning disabilities, but the ADHD label was a good description of him at that time). Coincidentally I moved to that school as well, so I was able to follow his progress. After three years there, and with the addition of ADHD medication he moved to a very academically challenging Catholic school where he stayed and excelled until he graduated in 8th grade and went on to one of the top private schools in our area and continued to do well.

So yes, kids with the right kinds of support at home can do really well. Maturation can make a huge difference, as can behavior modification, occupational therapy (to help kids learn sensory strategies for calming themselves) and counselling. Your son is lucky to have you as a parent. You can become his best advocate and help him find his way through this challenging period.

Mickey'snewestfan said:
.... Your son is lucky to have you as a parent. You can become his best advocate and help him find his way through this challenging period.

::yes::

We've just finished a huge sensory review for our two boys..and already we're seeing some changes.

Hang in there...and in the meantime, we're here to listen:):)

:sunny:

A child can certainly grow and adapt to the world. ODD is somewhat of a personality type and although we all know a few adults that fit the label, most adults do not. As children though, many of us would fit the criteria for ODD (and frankly, if I "assess" my son and his friends, I think it would be hard to find one that doesn't fit the criteria at all). That said, there are children who at an early age demonstrate opposition to a strongly unhealthy level- and those children need assistance to do well in life. I think that the figure for outgrowing ODD (having no lasting problems from it) is over 80% and of that remaining number, some go on to have severe issues (which can often be predicted based on family history and lifestyle) and the others retain moderate issues.

Add in sensory issues...if the world is a scary place that makes no sense (hypersensitive) or if the world is a somewhat hazy world that makes no sense (hyposensitive) you are definatley going to be more likely to be difficult to deal with. Sensory issues make it hard for a person to understand the world around them and because they cannot match thier perceptions to the expectations of adults (who don't understand that you can't figure out how to avoid the doorway, that you are in a total panic if you are touched unexpectedly, that you feel certain things as pain (versus pleasure or nuiscance) its going to be very hard to just get along with other, to listen to your parents- this is for hypersensitivity. On the other end of the scale, if you need to be in constant motion (so that your body knows where it is), you tend to crash into others (because you dont know where you are and because it feels good) etc, its going to be hard to hear the adult and comply with directions. Either way, its hard to listen, hard to obey and hard to be comfortable with yourself.

We have experience with both ODD and sensory issues. As a baby, DS had severe sensory issues (most likely brought on by both family history and medical trauma). He was at the nearly incapaciated end of the scale, could not eat (literally) or sleep. It took alot of time and patience and therapy to get past these issues. We were also told that DS was oppositional and would develop ODD...well, DS is a just an oppositional person, he's not developing a disorder. Our job is to help them learn to accept leadership, to get along with others.

The point in which a personality, personal quirks become disorders is when it interferes with the person's life. If it creates a situation where it ruins relationships, undermines educations, makes it incapable of having a job successfully,then its a real problem- and should be called ODD (at least until they have a better discription). Many ODD children go on to exceptional lives, not just regular ones. Many children with SID go on to exceptional lives as well (as evidenced by the fact that many children with severe sensory issues are extrememly gifted). The trick is to find out how to balance these out so that a child can be successful.

Wow, I wrote a novel here, lol! These are 2 topics that I have quite an investment in (with DS being both gifted and special needs). I guess what I really mean to say is yes, your son will very likely outgrow the traits that cause you so much grief if it is odd and sid. With ADHD things get more complicated- but you need to be clear that it is ADHD and not the result of sensory issues (which can be addressed by different means that ADHD). You should be proactive, getting him whatever help you can for all of these issues. Hopefully, with time and assistance, these traits and quirks will calm down and not cause him difficulties.

I hope my novel helps!
Bri

Thank you for the responses. I guess I'm a worrier and I want what's best for my children and I worry about the future.

We have him on adhd meds, we are getting the sensory OT/PT evaluation done (waiting to get the date for it), and we have started the counseling.

Thank you all for giving me your insights. I will probably be back here after he has his evaluation, with even more questions. I do feel better about him knowing that we are on the right track and that these kids can do well.

This forum is really a good place to get information and peace of mind.

thanks,
tara

MY daughter is 11 this Tuesday and is ADHD and SID and she gets a 4.0, is extremely talented (Will be in her first movie this spring.) She does not like change at all but she is very very bright.
My son 13 has Aspergers or PPD NS we get a differant dx everytime we see a specailist. He goes to a regually class room and gets B's and C's. I think as they get older they tend to grow out of a lot of the behaviors. My son needs a lot more one on one attention then daughter but I think he will be just fine and Do better the older he gets. I wish you and your child the best of Luck :-)
((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Jen

JenJen said:
MY daughter is 11 this Tuesday and is ADHD and SID and she gets a 4.0, is extremely talented (Will be in her first movie this spring.) She does not like change at all but she is very very bright.
My son 13 has Aspergers or PPD NS we get a differant dx everytime we see a specailist. He goes to a regually class room and gets B's and C's. I think as they get older they tend to grow out of a lot of the behaviors. My son needs a lot more one on one attention then daughter but I think he will be just fine and Do better the older he gets. I wish you and your child the best of Luck :-)
((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Jen

Make sure you let us know where and when to catch her big screen debut!! :goodvibes

...and give her a big "WooHoo" from us - she must be so excited!!

:sunny:

The movie is called lightyears away the director is Brian Michael Stoller. Christpher Knight and Meadow willams are the main Actors in it. She plays Meadow williams as a child in the very first scene. It is a indy movie so i am not sure if it will be in theaters or right to video it comes out spring 2006. The addy I post is a little slide show I have on her Web site and it has some of the behind the scenes of the making of the movie and a play she was in. The pictures are okay I took them all and made the little slide show. She is taking a break right now for school because that is more important but is in a school play. We are so proud of her. Kids really can over come anything!!!!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Jen

Candaces slide show <-----click here

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter