• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oddest experience at Epcot bagless entry today . . .

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
I’ll start off by saying we greatly appreciate all the security CMs at WDW and have no issues with bag check, going through the metal detectors, etc.

With that said we had the strangest thing happen today. First off my husband has Parkinson’s. He walks slowly with a shuffling limp and has a tremor in his left hand and arm. You can very clearly tell he has a disability. He is about the least threatening appearing person you can find.

At bagless entry today one of the security CMs was pushing the little round trays toward people and telling them to remove everything from their pockets (like they always do) before they go through the metal detector. My husband is the next person in line to go through the metal detector and reaches in his pockets to start taking everything out. Another security CM comes up to my husband and says “Sir I need you to stop and very slowly take your hands out of your pockets.” My husband stops and takes his hands out slowly. The security CM then tells my husband “In the future you need to make sure you keep your hands out where we can see them.” Um, okay. But he was literally just told to empty his pockets before walking through the metal detector. How do you do that and keep your hands where they can see them at the same time?

It was . . . weird.

I’ll start off by saying we greatly appreciate all the security CMs at WDW and have no issues with bag check, going through the metal detectors, etc.

With that said we had the strangest thing happen today. First off my husband has Parkinson’s. He walks slowly with a shuffling limp and has a tremor in his left hand and arm. You can very clearly tell he has a disability. He is about the least threatening appearing person you can find.

At bagless entry today one of the security CMs was pushing the little round trays toward people and telling them to remove everything from their pockets (like they always do) before they go through the metal detector. My husband is the next person in line to go through the metal detector and reaches in his pockets to start taking everything out. Another security CM comes up to my husband and says “Sir I need you to stop and very slowly take your hands out of your pockets.” My husband stops and takes his hands out slowly. The security CM then tells my husband “In the future you need to make sure you keep your hands out where we can see them.” Um, okay. But he was literally just told to empty his pockets before walking through the metal detector. How do you do that and keep your hands where they can see them at the same time?

It was . . . weird.
This is so upsetting. I think some security CMs honestly get a little power happy...

It was . . . weird.
so sorry he had to go through that. For some reason some CMs (not just security) get power hungry and don't know how to properly respond to situations. I've had 2 instances in the last month with non security CM telling me that my gimbal is not allowed in the parks, when I explain that it does not extend and I have been bringing it for 3 years they say that it's security's mistake. ugh

I've seen similar things at the TSA points in the airports; conflicting orders from the agents. Sorry this happened! I would probably email Disney over something like this just to let them know it is happening, as that is one of the things I can't stand when security does because it makes us all less secure. They need to all be on the same page and make up their minds with one instruction.

We were there in December and at EPCOT the same type of thing happened to my husband. I was ahead of him and he was at the table getting his back pack checked and the security card at the metal detector waved him through to say no need to go through the metal detector. When he walked passed toward the guard he stopped him and said what do you think you're doing? My husband said but you just waved me through and the other security were looking at my husband, like yeah this guard is a jerk sort of thing. It made my husband really upset. Wonder if it was the same guy?

Too bad those things happen.
I feel bad for the security guards as thats a thankless job and nobody is happy to see them. Best case is its an annoyance.
Unfortunately, there are those like the above examples that make it worse for everyone.

Sorry but I would have done what they wanted and when done, stood there and asked for their supervisor and after that heading inside an reported it. I have run into people like that before. Last year I had a TSA agent question my federal badge and said that wasn't a real agency. I calmly asked for their boss and got thru. I will admit I got a bit rude at that point and told the agent it wasn't my fault he wasn't smart enough to become an FP (federal police) and he should keep the nasty attitude at home.

On our last trip, we were leaving the Polynesian to board the monorail. When I walked thru the scanner, it went off, which it had done all throughout our trip because I've had a knee replacement. I told them and the security guard told me, "Well I'm going to have to see a scar". I had to roll up the leg of my pants and show him. He responded, "I guess you have". None of the other security guards or TSA at the airport asked me to do this. I didn't complain and did as he asked. It made me feel odd, but I guess that's the world we live in now.

Hey, when for whatever reason someone is unable to get a job as a cop but really wants to wear a uniform and boss people around like a tough guy, the TSA and Disney security are two other options. (Of course most of these are fine people, but there are definitely bad apples).

Last edited:
On our last trip, we were leaving the Polynesian to board the monorail. When I walked thru the scanner, it went off, which it had done all throughout our trip because I've had a knee replacement. I told them and the security guard told me, "Well I'm going to have to see a scar". I had to roll up the leg of my pants and show him. He responded, "I guess you have". None of the other security guards or TSA at the airport asked me to do this. I didn't complain and did as he asked. It made me feel odd, but I guess that's the world we live in now.
Quite uncalled for
You are way more tolerant than I would have been

Quite uncalled for
You are way more tolerant than I would have been
Good thing I had athletic pants on, because I don’t think I could have rolled up jeans that much. Not sure what he would have done in that case. I know I’ll always keep this in mind on future trips.. just in case.

Do they use titanium in knee replacements?

I have to carry 2 cards for my knee replacements and some pins in my shoulders. They are from the Navy and certify replacement surgery from my Marine days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter