Oddsmakers - we will still be required to wear masks in the parks come mid-February?

What are the odds that we will still be required to wear masks in the parks in Feb. '21?

• Total voters
If you had asked me yesterday I would have said 100% masks. But after reading about the approval for the saliva quick test, I am wondering if quick tests will replace masks at some point. I would rather know the people I am in the park with are negative and go without masks if it’s possible. So for now I am in the 50-75% group.
I saw something today about saliva tests and would like to know more. I hope it’s something that works reliably because it would be interesting to see how that would play in.

I hated statistics class in College, but I think the odds of masks being required in February are 100%.
We are roughly 8 months into the pandemic and we are still hitting record infections and deaths. If everything starts turning around today, it will be at least another 8 months before they can consider lifting the mask requirement. That's April or May 2021. And I think people choosing to wear masks will become very common in the U.S. after this pandemic. There are cultures were mask wearing are very common during cold and flu season.

By “masks will be a thing” do you mean a portion of people choosing to wear them or them being mandated/required in places like Disney? Because I think it’s awfully early to make a claim that we’ll still be required to wear masks over 2 years from now. A lot can happen between now and then.

But to answer the original question, I think it’s pretty likely that they will still be required in February.
I think there is a 75% chance that masks will be required at amusement parks through the end of 2022.

Lol. Funny you ask. This is something you can actually bet on. I thought it was a joke. Hoping I cash in. By the way I bet thru at least sept. Of 2021

I would not wear masks all day when it's hot. If it's cooler, maybe.

They give me trouble still though. YMMV. I have no doubt that they will be required through next summer.

Odds depend on outcome of the election. If the stats were reliable I would say we would not even be wearing the now! I I know many in the health care field who have access to the way the data is being gathered and sorry but there is way too much faulty data collection. I do not care how many statistics you throw at me, numbers are only the result of those manipulating them so numbers can lie.

Locally one of the cities in the metro extended their mask mandate til mid January (that was the second extension for that city). Personally I'd rather not keep extending but make it indefinite but most of those are tied to state of emergency declarations (which for that city had also been extended by the same time frame). I think the one for my state is mid September unless the state of emergency is extended which I know the governor wants to do. I'm unsure if my county will opt to extend on their own but according to them at the moment there generally is high compliance in the county.

If I had to guess private businesses stand a higher likelihood of keeping mask mandates in place longer. I'd say chances are a mask mandate would be in place at Disney until late Spring/early summer at least. It wouldn't surprise me if it was longer than that.

There are so many factors to consider when speculating about whether masks will be required. I would say that most likely masks will be required until at least July 2021, perhaps through all of 2021, and that depends upon whether a working vaccine is available, how many people get vaccinated, the viral infection rate in the overall population, whether there are still hot spots around the world, whether we see a second wave, or if it simply seems to die off. A man I did business with for 22 years, my service advisor at the car dealership, and who I always saw wearing a mask, went home feeling ill on a Friday, and passed by Monday morning from COVID. And that was less than two weeks ago, so the virus is still very contagious in our area right now.

Last edited:
There are so many factors to consider when speculating about whether masks will be required. I would say that most likely masks will be required until at least July 2021, perhaps through all of 2021, and that depends upon whether a working vaccine is available, how many people get vaccinated, the viral infection rate in the overall population, whether there are still hot spots around the world, whether we see a second wave, or if it simply seems to die off.

I guess my thought is that even if there was a safe effective vaccine available to the general public by early Feb., and I was somehow able to receive it early (I am neither high-risk, nor a front-line worker or first responder), I'd probably still have to wear a mask at the parks anyway. Like, how am I supposed to prove that I've been vaccinated to every CM who stops me when they see me strolling around without a mask?

I mean, unless Disney works out some system like the holiday parties whereby people who can prove vaccination wear a special wristband to indicate that they don't need to wear a mask. But even then, you can just see the potential for misunderstandings and friction with guests who still have to wear masks because they have not been vaccinated yet.

Odds depend on outcome of the election. If the stats were reliable I would say we would not even be wearing the now! I I know many in the health care field who have access to the way the data is being gathered and sorry but there is way too much faulty data collection. I do not care how many statistics you throw at me, numbers are only the result of those manipulating them so numbers can lie.

I agree with this. The data is so skewed/faulty its crazy. Each state isn't even reporting in the same way, no uniformity.

There are so many factors to consider when speculating about whether masks will be required. I would say that most likely masks will be required until at least July 2021, perhaps through all of 2021, and that depends upon whether a working vaccine is available, how many people get vaccinated, the viral infection rate in the overall population, whether there are still hot spots around the world, whether we see a second wave, or if it simply seems to die off. A man I did business with for 22 years, my service advisor at the car dealership, and who I always saw wearing a mask, went home feeling ill on a Friday, and passed by Monday morning from COVID. And that was less than two weeks ago, so the virus is still very contagious in our area right now.

Wow. We had an employee in Florida have a similar thing happen. From start of symptoms to death was about 5 days.

We wanted to go to Disney in March or June but decided against It due to masks and the reduction in experiences. I don’t see masks going away before July 2021 at the earliest. But more likely I think it’ll be required through 2021 at lease.

I think there is a 75% chance that masks will be required at amusement parks through the end of 2022.
Your opinion, and maybe you’ll be right, but I just can’t look that far ahead. 2 years is a really long time. Can we maybe get through the upcoming fall/winter before we speculate on the next couple years?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter