Official 2012 Princess 1/2 marathon thread part 2

Got 5 miles in this morning. I forgot I have a staff meeting Thursday :mad:. There goes my Thurday run. Maybe I can get the baby sitter to come by for a bit so I can get another run in. :idea:

8 miles in yesterday, I have not gone that far in 3 months.
Shin felt a bit funny, but my hip was good.

Only 5 miles to go!

So. Little. Motivation.:headache:

I have been putting in the absolute bare minimum lately! Last year, I was totally on it b/c I had never done this before and was almost religious about following "the plan" - Higdon's, which actually calls for more mileage than Galloway's. I'm now doing Galloway's, which I like, but my motivation is dropping. It's not the plan, it's the fact that I have a "been there, done that" attitude and I'm not freaking out about getting the mileage in so I'll be "prepared". The long runs are fine; it's the weekday runs that I am so tempted to blow off or just put in the absolute smallest amt called for. This is also how I got shin splints last summer - blowing off weekday runs and busting out 10K's on the weekend. It's one of those crazy circular things - I don't want to do the smaller, quicker runs b/c they just don't seem as easy as they used to. However, in order for them to be as easy as they used to be, I need to get out there and keep at it!!!

Thanks for letting me vent - about to drop the little man at preschool and hit the trail! The Galloway plan calls for 30 minutes. I think I will make myself do AT LEAST 3 miles, regardless of time.

I realized after my 10 miles, due to the holidays, my next long run will be 11 miles, then I will start to taper. Which means the next long run after that will be the 1/2 :goodvibes All these months of training and it's almost here.

I'm aspiring to do the Wine and Dine 2012. The longest distance I've ever done in a race is 5k. I had been training for 6 weeks, but now I'm sidelined for 2 weeks due to illnesses and strict orders from the doctor. I'm really not so concerned about the distance because I know I have plenty of time for that. I'm more concerned about the pace. I've been hovering around 18 minutes (bad, I know) and only twice have done less than 17 minutes for a mile. The last run I had before getting sick, I did a 16:25 minute mile, but of course I would not have been able to sustain that pace for long. Once several years ago when I was trying to start running, I did a 15 minute mile, but that was only one time, and only one mile. So, after all that, my question is, how long did it take you true beginners to get to a decent pace?

So. Little. Motivation.:headache:

I have been putting in the absolute bare minimum lately! Last year, I was totally on it b/c I had never done this before and was almost religious about following "the plan" - Higdon's, which actually calls for more mileage than Galloway's. I'm now doing Galloway's, which I like, but my motivation is dropping. It's not the plan, it's the fact that I have a "been there, done that" attitude and I'm not freaking out about getting the mileage in so I'll be "prepared". The long runs are fine; it's the weekday runs that I am so tempted to blow off or just put in the absolute smallest amt called for. This is also how I got shin splints last summer - blowing off weekday runs and busting out 10K's on the weekend. It's one of those crazy circular things - I don't want to do the smaller, quicker runs b/c they just don't seem as easy as they used to. However, in order for them to be as easy as they used to be, I need to get out there and keep at it!!!

Thanks for letting me vent - about to drop the little man at preschool and hit the trail! The Galloway plan calls for 30 minutes. I think I will make myself do AT LEAST 3 miles, regardless of time.

I TOTALLY know what you mean. I did Higdon for my last half and followed it to the letter. I think I missed maybe 2 of the 2 mile runs in the whole 18 weeks (I did each of the first 6 weeks twice to stretch out the training since I was a newbie). Then last spring I was using it to train for a 20K and ended up dropping out, my motivation had dropped, I was busy, I got sick, and I just wasn't having fun anymore.

I decided to do Galloway because the mileage and time committment were a bit lower, 3 days instead of 4. But because he doesn't give mileage for weekdays, it's been really easy to stick to 3 or 3.5 mile runs instead of doing what I know I need to do and push myself to around 4 or 5. And with it being so cold and dark in Iowa in the mornings, I have been doing them all midday, which ends up tough with work. Luckily my motivation is a bit higher for the Princess than it was for Dam to Dam last spring...much better race.

My husband did beg me to try to get up early for the really long runs...it breaks up our weekend when I disappear for 2 hours in the middle of a Saturday. I think that calls for a shopping trip for some more winter running gear!

I'm aspiring to do the Wine and Dine 2012. The longest distance I've ever done in a race is 5k. I had been training for 6 weeks, but now I'm sidelined for 2 weeks due to illnesses and strict orders from the doctor. I'm really not so concerned about the distance because I know I have plenty of time for that. I'm more concerned about the pace. I've been hovering around 18 minutes (bad, I know) and only twice have done less than 17 minutes for a mile. The last run I had before getting sick, I did a 16:25 minute mile, but of course I would not have been able to sustain that pace for long. Once several years ago when I was trying to start running, I did a 15 minute mile, but that was only one time, and only one mile. So, after all that, my question is, how long did it take you true beginners to get to a decent pace?
I started exercising seriously in Jan of 2010. I didn't start running until May of 2010 and I did my first half Sept 3, 2010, and the 2010 W&D a month later. During that time I lost ~45 pounds. So, I think you have plenty of time to get ready. The important thing is to find a plan and stick to it. Maybe look at Couch to 5k to start. I was consistently exercising a minimum of 5 days a week--but only ran 3. I did elliptical or some other form of cardio on my off days. I also tried to do strength twice a week.

There are lots of books/training programs for getting ready for a half marathon, I just think the key is to stick to it!

The other advice--I highly recommend a program that goes up to between 12 and 15 miles, especially if you think time is going to be an issue. I have heard too many stories of people who only trained up to 10 and then had big issues. I think if you are younger, in good shape and not carrying any extra weight training up to 10 is doable--my 20yo DS would have no problem cranking out those extra 3 miles. But for me, a 40 something doing her first half, I was terrified of "failing" so I got in the longer runs and I felt like it served me well.

Good luck, and please ask away if you have more questions!:goodvibes

Thanks for the insight, Rose&Mike. I was doing Jeff Galloway's 8 week conditioning plan first then was starting his half for beginners. I would have been done with the 8 week plan Christmas week, but with my illnesses, it will be the week after Christmas before I can get back to it. Who knows where I'll be in the training at that point. I'm going to try to just pick up where I left off because those workouts weren't that hard to begin with. I'm not too young, 37, and I'm not in good shape. I figure I'll probably lose 30 pounds over the next 9 months doing this. I have done excercise programs on and off throughout my whole life, but I've never been an athlete by any means. I'd really just like to know at what point I should start to see my pace get dramatically better. I was comfortably doing 15/45 intervals when I got sick last week. I would like to work up to 2:1 for the race because I think that will get me the pace I need but not sure how realistic that is. Not meaning to highjack the Princess thread, but you guys are where I hope to be in 8 months so I'd love to learn from your experience.

Is anyone else finding it hard to get motivated to run in the evenings now that it gets dark so early? I've never been a morning runner because I have to get up early enough already, and now it's practically dark when I get home. I have a treadmill, but I can only stand so many miles on it, and am really longing to get outside! I could buckle down and run in the dark, but the last time I ran in the dark I fell and ended up with bloody knees:rotfl:

Me!!! I was looking back at my previous runs and 4 of the last 5 weeks I only ran 2 days/week. :eek: I've kept up my long runs, but can't seem to get in that other shorter run. Unforturnately I don't have the option of a treadmill - it's outside or nothing. After dark I feel I need to stay in my development, too. I don't live in an unsafe area, but I don't want to be stupid either. Also I risk getting hit by a car if I venture out onto the main roads. You would think the Christmas lights would motivate me. :santa: Gotta get my rear it gear!!

However, the good news for today... 9.7 miles!:cool1: My longest run yet! My goal was to get to 10 miles by the end of the year and next week I'll be there!:woohoo: (Only 70 days until I leave to see Mickey!)

If you really want to run the food and wine half... I'm sure you will! THe biggest part of training and racing is mental. I know a lot of people have had great results with the Galloway system and I even started on something similar so maybe you want to look into that? It will be hard, but if you stick to it you'll be able to reach your goal!

Good luck in your training and at F&W!

I started C25K at 16:30 per mile. After C25K and the first 10 weeks of the Galloway program, I just did a 10k at a 14 min pace. I am hoping to get down to a 13 min pace by the Princess. I was worried about pace, but as people say over and over on these boards, speed comes with endurance, so keep plugging away at the miles. You have more than enough time before September.

I ran one mile yesterday. I've been resting an injured foot for a few weeks and it's been so hard to not run. I had to keep reminding myself to wait so that I'll be able to do 13.1. I think it's paid off and I'm ready to start back up again.

I've been riding the exercise bike to keep my cardio level up. I've been working on P90x and Ab Ripper X has made such a difference in my posture.

I'm getting a treadmill for Christmas so I won't have to worry about being out in snow and ice. I like the cold but I am really clumsy on slick surfaces.:rotfl: Any recommendations for the TM?

I also got a full-time job, I should start in January. It'll be my first 40 hr week job in 16 years!

Good to see you back on your feet! Congrats on the job!

I did a 9.5 mile run today with 5:1 intervals. I finished with a 13'26"/mi pace, but I think I might go to a 4:1 interval next long run. My legs are pretty spent. OTOH, I only have 3.6 more miles to go! I missed my 3 mile run on Monday to take one of the boys to the doctor. Both of my boys now have scarlet fever and are pretty sick. My husband, daughter, and I are ok so far.

Okay, I will chime in here. You *can* do this, and here's my story (skip for those of you who already know this! :) ).

I was "encouraged" (okay, convinced) to sign up for the Princess 2010, in Dec 2009. At the time, I was 34 and 220 lbs (at 5'8"). I had never run a race, and had only walked 2 5Ks, both of them Komen races and probably at a 20+mm.

I will say that I wasn't completely without exercise, as I did probably 60 min a week or so of cardio at the time.

However, I started training at about an 18mm. I didn't know about Galloway then. My "plan" was to do 2 weekly 2-3 milers where I worked on walk speed, and then one long walk. I started with a 10 min walk, 1 min run interval set, and every week decreased the walk and increased the runs for my short runs into a 1 min walk, 1 min run by the time the race happened. My long "runs" were more in the 5-8 min walk, 1 min run range.

At the same time, I was also working on weight loss and lost about 20 lbs.

I was able to finish the race in 3:11, with probably an 8-10 min walk, 1 min run interval.

Now, 18 months later and after joining an official Galloway training group in May 2010, I have finished 8 half marathons with my fastest about a month ago at 2:44, became a Galloway pace group leader in 2011, and am training for a full marathon.

I am about to turn 36 and I still clock in around 210 lbs, too, sadly enough!

I finally found the new thread!!

Finally got back on track with the long runs this weekend-- 10 mi! However, since the 9 mi run had been about 3 or so weeks earlier with only a 10K and a bunch of 3-4 milers in between, it felt pretty rough at the end. But, I still finished with an 11 min mile pace!

I have a question for those of you experienced at long distances: I just picked up running seriously in June (hadn't done anything more than fun 5Ks before then) and am working up to the Princess half in Feb. My training partner is now thinking about training beyond that for a marathon, as there is one in April that might work out. Since we are already at 10 mi now, does 26 miles by April seem like a reasonable goal? I was thinking of following one of the Galloway plans for the WDW Marathon and just modifying the dates.

I finally found the new thread!!

Finally got back on track with the long runs this weekend-- 10 mi! However, since the 9 mi run had been about 3 or so weeks earlier with only a 10K and a bunch of 3-4 milers in between, it felt pretty rough at the end. But, I still finished with an 11 min mile pace!

I have a question for those of you experienced at long distances: I just picked up running seriously in June (hadn't done anything more than fun 5Ks before then) and am working up to the Princess half in Feb. My training partner is now thinking about training beyond that for a marathon, as there is one in April that might work out. Since we are already at 10 mi now, does 26 miles by April seem like a reasonable goal? I was thinking of following one of the Galloway plans for the WDW Marathon and just modifying the dates.

Glad you found it!! I wish they would have let us post a link before closing the other thread.

Honestly, I think I would wait another 6 months before trying for a marathon. Maybe a fall one? As I am picking up the longer distances, it's amazing how the extra really takes it out of you.

However, I am not young anymore, and am a good 50 lbs overweight, so if you are under 30 and within 10-20 lbs of average, you might find it to be different?

Glad you found it!! I wish they would have let us post a link before closing the other thread.

Honestly, I think I would wait another 6 months before trying for a marathon. Maybe a fall one? As I am picking up the longer distances, it's amazing how the extra really takes it out of you.

However, I am not young anymore, and am a good 50 lbs overweight, so if you are under 30 and within 10-20 lbs of average, you might find it to be different?

kat - i'm 27 and normal weight, and i 100% agree with you. training for a full marathon is a completely different beast than training for a half - it's much more demanding than simply doubling the distance. it's why i'm on currently on the one-marathon-a-year plan. i spend the first 6 months of the year working on speed, racing shorter distances, and building up my base before heading into a marathon training cycle.

i had a not-so-great first marathon (5:03 off a 2:08 half...ouch!), but i since learned from my mistakes, and had a much better second marathon. i kinda wish i waited longer, but i'm definitely the type to learn things the hard way. do as i say, not as i do! :lmao:

Was able to get 7 miles in on Saturday..but barely! Started off running at my long run speed (5mph) and got really out of breath..which is unusual. At 2.40 I felt awful, so instead of throwing in the towel I watched the rest. It took what felt like forever, but I did it. Trying 8 miles this Saturday!

Looking to do a 5 miler today after school! Which is my longest run since my surgery- I"m hoping I get through it at the planned intervals (for 11 lap mile- run 5, walk 1, run 3, walk 2 (and hydrate durning the 2 lap walk)) if I can't finish at this interval I'll finish the 5 somehow!

Working on getting psyched for a great run today! I'm working at home so get to go on one of my favorite routes...wondering whether I should try for 5 miles? This weekend just has a 4 mile "long" run scheduled.

Does everyone do that Magic Mile thing? Do you do it on a track? I don't have a track, so I figured I'd just have Runkeeper tell me when I had finished the mile.

Thanks for all the responses! I got what I needed to know...that speed comes with endurance. Once I'm over my illnesses, I'll get right back at it and keep on keeping on. I am doing Jeff Galloway's training, and I'm going to trust that it will get me where I need to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter