Official 2016 - Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend

THANK YOU! I love to "pre-shop" especially Disney expos.

I had to laugh though when I saw all the grey options. I almost posted on this thread earlier this week that I hoped the shirts weren't grey or red. Not red is just a personal thing as I don't like the color on me. But grey... I love grey. But not for every race! Literally every race I've done this year since February has had grey or grey-toned shirts. Rock n roll Nola, Disney Star Wars dark side 10k, Pittsburgh marathon, Pittsburgh great race. That's three different organizations! So my theory is that the companies that source these race shirts must act the same way fashion houses do and have "trends" or "supplier deals" or something!

I'm half joking, so please no one jump on here and start telling me all the different color shirts they've gotten all year. I also know that could just be my own bad luck/coincidence. It was just too funny.

I love the infinity gauntlet stuff tho and wish I was signed up for it. Our family is running all three races over the weekend and getting everyone trained for all of them sure feels like inifinity training! Should have just signed up for it.

I had to laugh though when I saw all the grey options. I almost posted on this thread earlier this week that I hoped the shirts weren't grey or red. Not red is just a personal thing as I don't like the color on me. But grey... I love grey. But not for every race! Literally every race I've done this year since February has had grey or grey-toned shirts. Rock n roll Nola, Disney Star Wars dark side 10k, Pittsburgh marathon, Pittsburgh great race. That's three different organizations! So my theory is that the companies that source these race shirts must act the same way fashion houses do and have "trends" or "supplier deals" or something!

The Dumbo Double Dare shirt was grey this year too!
And I can think of 3 other grey race shirts we received this year. Different races than yours LOL!
Makes me wonder about the Superheros race shirts....

I just took a good look at the 10K course map and they don't actually cross the Esplanade until right before they go into DTD for the end! I think my new sign-holding strategy will be to be somewhere around Mile 4 out near Harbor and then cross the Esplanade after I see him, heading toward DTD and the finish line.

A few pointers that might help. This 10K course is the same as the recent Disneyland 10K course. Once the runners enter the backstage area around mile 2 they won't be seen outside the parks until they exit Disneyland.
In my mind the best plan might be to stand on the corner of Disneyland Drive and Katella (on the side by California Adventure) wave and cheer there when the race is just starting, then once your people pass you can walk to the corner of Harbor and Katella. You can then walk towards the park entrances and they will pass you again there just before mile 2. The runners will be in the parks (or backstage) until they exit Disneyland and run into Downtown Disney by that time you can either be somewhere in Downtown Disney or at the finish line.

I'm half joking, so please no one jump on here and start telling me all the different color shirts they've gotten all year. I also know that could just be my own bad luck/coincidence. It was just too funny.

I love the infinity gauntlet stuff tho and wish I was signed up for it. Our family is running all three races over the weekend and getting everyone trained for all of them sure feels like inifinity training! Should have just signed up for it.

Ha! I just returned from packet pick-up / expo for a half marathon I'm running tomorrow, and the shirt is . . . grey! Now that I think of it, the shirt for the 5K I ran last week was grey. The shirt for the 10 miler I ran last month was grey. Ran three half marathons in September - two of those shirts were grey!

@pixarmom - we have a similar situation with Rock N Roll this year. All shirts have been bright blue or navy!

I'm getting excited about this week!! Getting myself mentally prepared to run fast.

So it's official - I caught a cold this weekend. :sick: :sad1: I wasn't able to go on any runs for the last 4 days and probably won't be able to get one in until Tuesday. I was trying so hard not to get sick and had been doing pretty well, especially for the petri dish of germs environment that I work in (a high school). So much for that...

On the other hand, I am excited for the merch preview although some of the gear, I'm not too impressed with. I would have liked some other color other than red. I do have to laugh at the release - just when you think you have RunDisney figured out...

It looks like the hotter weather is backing away from the event days next weekend - hot for the next few days, but slightly cooler for the weekend. I'm crossing everything for not hot.

I'm crossing everything for not hot.

I'll join you in that! 60 degrees to start in for Friday and Saturday. Sunday could be a bit warmer for our 3:15-3:30 HM friends. Hoping you guys at least get a breeze as you sprint to the finish line - right now it looks to be high-70s! Ouch!

Quick question from an appreciative lurker... I'm so excited for this weekend! We'd like to hit California Adventure on Friday or Sunday (I'm doing the 5K and 10K) Any guess as to which day will be less crowded? Thanks!

Last edited:
I told myself this expo would be different. The last thing I need is another race shirt, especially a Disney one. I am not a huge Avengers fan. I really thoguht I could resist. But the Infinity Gauntlet capris and racerback tank are just too cute! Have to admit I saw Dr. Strange this week-end and really liked it alot. Better get back to packing, Have to drag out all my summer stuff for the next week.We leave early Wednesday AM. Can't wait.

A few pointers that might help. This 10K course is the same as the recent Disneyland 10K course. Once the runners enter the backstage area around mile 2 they won't be seen outside the parks until they exit Disneyland.
In my mind the best plan might be to stand on the corner of Disneyland Drive and Katella (on the side by California Adventure) wave and cheer there when the race is just starting, then once your people pass you can walk to the corner of Harbor and Katella. You can then walk towards the park entrances and they will pass you again there just before mile 2. The runners will be in the parks (or backstage) until they exit Disneyland and run into Downtown Disney by that time you can either be somewhere in Downtown Disney or at the finish line.

That's a good idea. Thank you!

Any idea HOW I will be able to get to either DTD or the finish line area? I don't know what will be blocked off for runners only. Say I am at Harbor/Katella before mile 2, and I want to go from there as you suggested to the DTD/Finish area. Would you recommend heading back down Katella toward Disneyland Drive and going north from there? I just don't know where they'll be allowing non-participants.

Runners: Would you prefer to have someone cheering you on in the DTD area right before the finish, or just meeting you in the meeting area after you've gotten your medal and such?

Any idea HOW I will be able to get to either DTD or the finish line area? I don't know what will be blocked off for runners only. Say I am at Harbor/Katella before mile 2, and I want to go from there as you suggested to the DTD/Finish area. Would you recommend heading back down Katella toward Disneyland Drive and going north from there? I just don't know where they'll be allowing non-participants.

Runners: Would you prefer to have someone cheering you on in the DTD area right before the finish, or just meeting you in the meeting area after you've gotten your medal and such?

Great questions. I think from getting from Harbor/Katella to Downtown Disney you could either walk back towards Disneyland Drive, then cut through the Grand Californian Hotel and end up in Downtown Disney. They will have a few cross points so you will be able to cut across the course and get to either the finish line on anywhere you want to stand in Downtown Disney. The other option would be... If there is a break in the runners you might be able to run across the course (basically like running across a two lane street in distance) and then just walk through the Esplanade area to get to Downtown Disney. But if the course is packed I would walk the long way around (but I tend to get worried about doing anything that would rock the boat).

The last time I went my friend was cheering for me right by the big hat at the Disneyland Hotel which was fun because it is right before the finish line... And then he was able to cross the course over by the ESPN zone and make it over to the Family Meet and Greet area... It takes a bit of time to get your medal, treats, and picture so you may be able to make it to both... To me though it is more meaningful to have someone cheering for you as you are actually running.

Quick question from an appreciative lurker... I'm so excited for this weekend! We'd like to hit California Adventure on Friday or Sunday (I'm doing the 5K and 10K) Any guess as to which day will be less crowded? Thanks!

I'm way excited for this weekend too! So I don't have a good answer but here are some factors to consider... On Friday all but the top two tiers of Annual Passes are blocked out... So that means less pass holders... But that is because it is Veterans Day and California Schools have the day off so there might be bigger crowds with all the kids off. Also Friday will be the second night of the new Christmas version of World of Color, so I think people will come for that.... Sunday I know a decent number of people pack up after the race and head home because they need to get back to work the next day... But once again... It's still opening weekend for the Christmas stuff and the AP's won't be blocked out... So that could be busy. So I'm no help... I think it just depends how you look at it. My tip would be just make sure you can be there close to park opening. If that would be easier on one day and not the other that might be a better option.

Great questions. I think from getting from Harbor/Katella to Downtown Disney you could either walk back towards Disneyland Drive, then cut through the Grand Californian Hotel and end up in Downtown Disney. They will have a few cross points so you will be able to cut across the course and get to either the finish line on anywhere you want to stand in Downtown Disney. The other option would be... If there is a break in the runners you might be able to run across the course (basically like running across a two lane street in distance) and then just walk through the Esplanade area to get to Downtown Disney. But if the course is packed I would walk the long way around (but I tend to get worried about doing anything that would rock the boat).

The last time I went my friend was cheering for me right by the big hat at the Disneyland Hotel which was fun because it is right before the finish line... And then he was able to cross the course over by the ESPN zone and make it over to the Family Meet and Greet area... It takes a bit of time to get your medal, treats, and picture so you may be able to make it to both... To me though it is more meaningful to have someone cheering for you as you are actually running.

That last part is exactly what I wanted to know. I shall make it my goal to do that! Thanks so much for your insight.

And if it works, I'll have my husband do the same for me and my boys during Star Wars since he's not running :)

I'll join you in that! 60 degrees to start in for Friday and Saturday. Sunday could be a bit warmer for our 3:15-3:30 HM friends. Hoping you guys at least get a breeze as you sprint to the finish line - right now it looks to be high-70s! Ouch!

It would be appreciated if someone could turn on the air conditioning..

I would agree with @EDS19 on the location and ways to get there and the support during then event.

Good morning everyone!!!!!! I hope everyone is feeling great and ready for this weekend! My cold is thankfully mostly over - just a tickle in the back of the throat. I wonder if we will get a peek at the official shirts for the races today or if they will hold them back. After this last week, I give up on predicting RunDisney. :rotfl2:

Good morning everyone!!!!!! I hope everyone is feeling great and ready for this weekend! My cold is thankfully mostly over - just a tickle in the back of the throat. I wonder if we will get a peek at the official shirts for the races today or if they will hold them back. After this last week, I give up on predicting RunDisney. :rotfl2:

Hopefully we'll get a preview today, but as you said rD has been unpredictable of late so who knows...

I guess the speaker series is officially dead. No speakers for Disneyland Half and now this weekend. So they took away our souvenir programs to save money on their end and now the speaker series to save even more, yet registration and merch have not gotten any cheaper. (dont forget the reduction of on course character stops too) These races are losing their magic and that makes me sad as I am a huge fan of rundisney but they are making it so hard to continue to be one. C'mon RD I'm rooting for you to get it right again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter