"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

Trip report 9/21/18:

We were only down for a short trip this year, so Friday the 21st was my only day to go. I knew Friday would be crazy busy and I was right. It was packed, jam packed!

The 1st performance of Hocus Pocus was great, I love this show. Had to line up really early to get a good spot. Lots of people put their kids on their shoulders, making it impossible to see.

The longest line was for Pirates, took about 25min.

Space Mountain was down for quite a while. I saw it with the lights on while riding Transit Authority, it was so cool to see it. So cool, I rode it x2.

No lines for Small world, Little Mermaid, Pooh, Buzz, Splash and Big Thunder and Transit Authority. Small line for Space when open, 7d and Peter Pan.

I had a decent spot for the 1st parade, until a family kept pushing their children besides me and in front of me. There is something about parades that brings out peoples bad side, some type of entitlement or something.

I had an amazing spot for the fireworks, I positioned myself so that I could see no matter what.

I got on HM right before mid-night. It was a great way to end the night.

Getting back to the TTC was terrible. The Express Monorail was shut down, so my only options were the ferry or resort monorail. The resort monorail was OMG packed. I thought I would try the ferry. I missed the boat by a little bit, so I was towards the front. They kept pushing people forward and forward and forward. I was so squished, I got claustrophobic! I was having a panic attack and ended up leaving the queue line. A lot of excuse me and pardon me's later and I was out. I decided to walk to the Contemporary and get an Uber from there.

Over all a great party. I think they over sold the party, so many people!

Getting back to the TTC was terrible. The Express Monorail was shut down, so my only options were the ferry or resort monorail. The resort monorail was OMG packed. I thought I would try the ferry. I missed the boat by a little bit, so I was towards the front. They kept pushing people forward and forward and forward. I was so squished, I got claustrophobic! I was having a panic attack and ended up leaving the queue line. A lot of excuse me and pardon me's later and I was out. I decided to walk to the Contemporary and get an Uber from there.

Curious what time you left. We left the park a bit after the last Hocus Pocus show and I could not believe how crowded all of the options were. I’m used to being around the MK during all sorts of crowded times, but this was towards the extreme side of things.

I needed to get to GF and the Poly/GF resort boat line was longer than I have ever seen and the Resort Monorail line was way longer than expected as well. I would really like to know if they have been closing the Express Line like that every night (thereby pushing lots of people to the Resort line and Ferry) or if this was an isolated incident/mechanical closure. It absolutely had an impact on the other options.

I also almost walked over to CR to get a taxi and kind of wish that I had. I eventually opted for the Resort monorail because it does move a lot of people... but it took nearly an hour to get there start to finish. I was tired loopy by that point so I didn’t even care enough to let it really get to me! :-)

Curious what time you left. We left the park a bit after the last Hocus Pocus show and I could not believe how crowded all of the options were. I’m used to being around the MK during all sorts of crowded times, but this was towards the extreme side of things.

I needed to get to GF and the Poly/GF resort boat line was longer than I have ever seen and the Resort Monorail line was way longer than expected as well. I would really like to know if they have been closing the Express Line like that every night (thereby pushing lots of people to the Resort line and Ferry) or if this was an isolated incident/mechanical closure. It absolutely had an impact on the other options.

I also almost walked over to CR to get a taxi and kind of wish that I had. I eventually opted for the Resort monorail because it does move a lot of people... but it took nearly an hour to get there start to finish. I was tired loopy by that point so I didn’t even care enough to let it really get to me! :-)

I left about 12:16. Just as the last Hocus Pocus show was over. I totally agree, the crowd leaving was insane! I did not get back to the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal until 1:45AM. Universal area was packed as HHN was over at 2AM. There was a stalled car and the police had pulled someone over.

I'm sure in all 475 pages this has been addressed but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I'll be attending my first party in about 2 weeks and I have a very basic question. When should our family arrive (we will have two young children with us). A lot of reading, podcasts, vlogs etc recommend entering early (4/5pm) which we are open to doing but is that necessary if you are coming in from out of town and you are going to this as part of a longer, week long trip to WDW (aka you will have other times to go on rides)? Based on the group that will be in attendance, I can see us wanting to trick or treat, try some of the fun treats, maybe try to see Pooh and friends, watching the parade if we can get a decent view without waiting too long, watching fireworks, and maybe a ride or two. Is coming at 7ish too late for this agenda? Bad idea? We originally booked thinking that we couldn't go until then and made a dining reservation at our hotel for 5 pm. Just trying to see if we should keep it or not.

I'm sure in all 475 pages this has been addressed but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I'll be attending my first party in about 2 weeks and I have a very basic question. When should our family arrive (we will have two young children with us). A lot of reading, podcasts, vlogs etc recommend entering early (4/5pm) which we are open to doing but is that necessary if you are coming in from out of town and you are going to this as part of a longer, week long trip to WDW (aka you will have other times to go on rides)? Based on the group that will be in attendance, I can see us wanting to trick or treat, try some of the fun treats, maybe try to see Pooh and friends, watching the parade if we can get a decent view without waiting too long, watching fireworks, and maybe a ride or two. Is coming at 7ish too late for this agenda? Bad idea? We originally booked thinking that we couldn't go until then and made a dining reservation at our hotel for 5 pm. Just trying to see if we should keep it or not.

I would plan on being in line for the Pooh characters at 6, if you don't want to waste an hour or more of party time waiting.

So plan on being at the tapstyles at 5:45.

I’ve taken my kids in the 3-7 range the last few years. We might do things a bit differently than most. We’re not all that interested in charachters, mainly treat lines, some rides, and soaking in the atmosphere. We prefer to get there 7pm when the party has started.... mainly to enjoy the MK entry in all its spookiness but also if the weather is really hot the more you can let the sun go down, the better. Hot cranky kids isn’t a recipe for success with us, no matter how much party time I’m wasting not entering until later.

Plus I would rather splurge a bit and let them stay up late and ideally we’d like to watch the first parade and fireworks. When my kids were really young, if I blew too much of that energy early, we had no chance of making fireworks. So I find I’m OK trading off a later arrival for getting a bit more mileage in the night.

So generally speaking we like a long/solid afternoon nap... good dinner outside the park... then head in for some fun around 7pm.

This has always worked reasonably well for what we want out of a party, but wouldn’t work so well for someone really focused on charachters and maximizing all available time.

Just one person’s perspective. :-)

I’ve taken my kids in the 3-7 range the last few years. We might do things a bit differently than most. We’re not all that interested in charachters, mainly treat lines, some rides, and soaking in the atmosphere. We prefer to get there 7pm when the party has started.... mainly to enjoy the MK entry in all its spookiness but also if the weather is really hot the more you can let the sun go down, the better. Hot cranky kids isn’t a recipe for success with us, no matter how much party time I’m wasting not entering until later.

Plus I would rather splurge a bit and let them stay up late and ideally we’d like to watch the first parade and fireworks. When my kids were really young, if I blew too much of that energy early, we had no chance of making fireworks. So I find I’m OK trading off a later arrival for getting a bit more mileage in the night.

So generally speaking we like a long/solid afternoon nap... good dinner outside the park... then head in for some fun around 7pm.

This has always worked reasonably well for what we want out of a party, but wouldn’t work so well for someone really focused on charachters and maximizing all available time.

This is super helpful! This seems to be what we want to accomplish. Outside of us thinking they would want to see Pooh and friends in costume, we wouldn't wait in line for characters. Waiting just isn't our thing...I guess being so good with fastpasses etc over the years has gotten us out of being ok with waiting on line!

For people that do choose to go early, what is your reasoning? Because you aren't going to the Magic Kingdom a couple of other times that week? Because you want to get lots of awesome character photos (I admit I'd love one with Jack and Sally but that line length is a non starter!) To get your kids to bed early?

Trip report 9/21/18:

We were only down for a short trip this year, so Friday the 21st was my only day to go. I knew Friday would be crazy busy and I was right. It was packed, jam packed!

The 1st performance of Hocus Pocus was great, I love this show. Had to line up really early to get a good spot. Lots of people put their kids on their shoulders, making it impossible to see.

The longest line was for Pirates, took about 25min.

Space Mountain was down for quite a while. I saw it with the lights on while riding Transit Authority, it was so cool to see it. So cool, I rode it x2.

No lines for Small world, Little Mermaid, Pooh, Buzz, Splash and Big Thunder and Transit Authority. Small line for Space when open, 7d and Peter Pan.

I had a decent spot for the 1st parade, until a family kept pushing their children besides me and in front of me. There is something about parades that brings out peoples bad side, some type of entitlement or something.

I had an amazing spot for the fireworks, I positioned myself so that I could see no matter what.

I got on HM right before mid-night. It was a great way to end the night.

Over all a great party. I think they over sold the party, so many people!
This is exactly why I’m excited for parades/shows in Japan where everyone sits.

We went last night and had a lovely time! It was our 3rd MNSSHP in the last 4 years, and felt the lease crowded to us. We got there right around 4, got a decent parking spot, right on the tram, low lines at security. The monorail looked a little full so we opted to ferry over. Getting in the gate didn't take long, got our wristbands, went through the bypass and got our bags and little candy "starter packs", and still made it to our BTMRR FP that ended at 4:45. After that we went and got a drink at Starbucks, which was probably the lowest line we've ever had there, then walked onto Pirates. Grabbed some food at Casey's just as they were started to set up to push out day guests.

Throughout the night, most if not all of the wait times were overstated. Candy lines looked line but moved fast. We opted not to bother with characters this time, as we have met most of them before. We rode BTMRR twice, Pirates twice, teacups, 7 dwarves, buzz, and the people mover. Watched the fireworks from behind the castle. Came home with 6 pounds of candy between the 2 of us. We left around 10:50 or so. No trouble getting back to our car at all, just walked straight onto the ferry, then straight on to a tram.

The only line we weren't willing to deal with was for Haunted Mansion. Now, the posted wait time fluctuated between 15 and 30 minutes, but as it wrapped around to the river boat we just didn't want to chance it. I'm sure it wasn't as long as it looked, we just had other priorities. It seemed like most of the lines, no matter how long they looked, were near constantly moving. The only line we were in that we weren't walking the whole time was 7 Dwarves, just as the fireworks were ending.

It was hot but not unbearable, though I am glad we weren't wearing heavier costumes than we were. Storms were forecasted but never showed. I will say, the party felt less festive than past years to me. Less projections on the ground, odd music choices, it just felt more like a regular night at the park than a special event. But it was still really fun and we would absolutely go again!

Hello all. What time do they open up the bypass at the front of the park? Where is the best place to get wristbands before entering there if we are already in the park? Thank you!

We're going with our 4 year old and your first hand reports are awesome - so thank you for that! The heat has looked miserable lately and as we're doing EMM at TSL that morning, we've definitely been leaning towards the show up at 7 idea as well. This is just one part of a planned five visits to MK over our trip so I'm trying to be unplanned and flexible with it (two things I'm NOT good at!)

For people that do choose to go early, what is your reasoning? Because you aren't going to the Magic Kingdom a couple of other times that week? Because you want to get lots of awesome character photos (I admit I'd love one with Jack and Sally but that line length is a non starter!) To get your kids to bed early?

We go early because we are "biggest bang for your buck" sort of people and want to maximize our time in the park. We only go to WDW every other year or so we want to spend as much time in the park as possible. Crowds were pretty tame before 7:00 as well... very little congestion in the bypass and we had most of the photopass lines to ourselves. That was definitely not the case at 7:00. Entering early also allows you to take advantage of booking FPs until 6:00. We used them for rides which typically have a wait during the party. We knew we would be devoting a decent chunk of time for a parade/fireworks spot and the characters we wanted to see would eat up some time as well so we wanted to knock out as many rides as possible early. Riding must-do rides early also gives you insurance against them going down later that night. That being said, our children started to run out of gas after the fireworks, so it almost made for too long of a day. The blistering heat didn't help.

We're going with our 4 year old and your first hand reports are awesome - so thank you for that! The heat has looked miserable lately and as we're doing EMM at TSL that morning, we've definitely been leaning towards the show up at 7 idea as well. This is just one part of a planned five visits to MK over our trip so I'm trying to be unplanned and flexible with it (two things I'm NOT good at!)

Lol... yeah... I had done the AP TSL event the morning of our MNSSHP last Friday... so it made for a VERY long day. A four hour power nap in the afternoon worked perfectly! We’re past napping age with her but can usually get her to take one if we’ve been super active that morning. Fortunately it worked and she fell asleep (as did I!).

Hello all. What time do they open up the bypass at the front of the park? Where is the best place to get wristbands before entering there if we are already in the park? Thank you!

I assumed the Bypass opened when people were allowed to enter the park with party tickets, which is 4:00 (or a few minutes earlier if people were let in the park earlier). I assumed the Bypass was not open any earlier than that.

Regarding picking up your wristbands if you are already in the park, this is from page 1 of this thread:
  • Oh, my! I'm already in the park. Do I have to exit and re-enter for MNSSHP? No, there are checkpoints within the park to check-in and receive wristbands for MNSSHP!
Locations
Tortuga Tavern (Adventureland)
Mickey's PhilharMagic (Fantasyland)
Buzz Lightyear (Tomorrowland)

Any repeat attendees disappointed that the Sanderson Sisters show didn’t highlight their 25th anniversary, or the fireworks were the same, as well as most of the parade?
I loved more characters but there was such a build up with their Sanderson sisters merch that the show was a letdown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter