Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

We already have a trip planned for 10/1-10/6. My husband just dropped that he wants to go to HHN if they have one of the AP nights while we're there. Now I have to psych myself up for it -- I am NOT a horror buff so is there like a "wimp" area of the event? I doubt we will do any of the houses, just hang out if it's free.

We already have a trip planned for 10/1-10/6. My husband just dropped that he wants to go to HHN if they have one of the AP nights while we're there. Now I have to psych myself up for it -- I am NOT a horror buff so is there like a "wimp" area of the event? I doubt we will do any of the houses, just hang out if it's free.
There are scare zones around the park but they are not normally super scary. Plus there will be food and drinks booths. A tribute store to look around.

Diagon Alley is HHN free so you can always go there. Plus the some of the rides will be running too

As @Skippyboo said, there are rides + Diagon Alley, and the scare zones aren't too bad. You can also do the shows, they aren't scary at all. If they bring back the pyro show, add it to your night; it was really good!

And you might consider a not-so-scary house, a la Beetlegeuse last year.

i like to do UMH day tour before i do the hhn
with the lights off in the houses

that way i will know what and where to look when i’m the house in the evening

the tour guide explains background of the house
many agree with you. I avoid spoilers like the plague. doing multiple nights, I prefer a run-through prior.

There’s the beauty of it, no right or wrong way to get the tar scared out of you:teeth:
I thought there are nights for Premier passholders where admission is free with your pass?
go back in the thread to see the ‘historical’ dates you could get the free pass.

No doubt there are 10 year old's that can handle the event better then some of the 20-somthings I've seen over the years.
I'm the first to say keep the littles home, but at that age, it does vary tremendously. We met the coolest 10 year old a couple of years ago - he was so into it - was confidently rating all the houses by the quality of "jump scares" to let us know which to hit first. lol. He sounded like a pro.

I'm the first to say keep the littles home, but at that age, it does vary tremendously. We met the coolest 10 year old a couple of years ago - he was so into it - was confidently rating all the houses by the quality of "jump scares" to let us know which to hit first. lol. He sounded like a pro.
Some kids do seem to do just fine, at least initially…then the nightmares kick in nwahahaha. JK however…

Agree, it’s never a good idea to generalize, especially when it comes to kids. All are different mini-me’s

even though it’s been tamed down in recent years, HHN can still be quite intense. It’s a decidedly mature crowd, having adult fun that can be ‘salty’.

YMMV, my experience:

My Kids all embraced the horror genre early. Had eagerly experienced the local haunts and seemed to be good candidates. However, I’ve always been of the mind there is some entertainment that should be specifically for adults, if not older tweens/teens.

I insisted a no-go to HHN until youngest had hit 11. I said the same thing to my GD, still haven’t taken her along despite her pleading…soon m pretty lol

also, made it very clear ahead of time that, if anyone freaked, out of the park they would go with the parent that lost the rock-paper-scissors on that one.

at times, it’s a bit cringey to read the posts from those who ask if their kids ‘can do HHN‘. My thot, if you have to ask, you already have the answer In hand. Good intentions do often pave the way to an unfortunate experience.:confused3

Last edited:
I insisted a no-go to HHN until youngest had hit 11. I said the same thing to my GD, still haven’t taken her along despite her pleading…soon m pretty lol
You've actually created a neat rite of passage - like getting your DL license at 16. A milestone! I totally agree about the adult humor/atmosphere in general though.

It's so frustrating when parents bring kids into bars or nightclubs that are clearly designed for adults, then get offended when adults inevitably talk or act like....adults.:crazy2:

It has been a long time ago since i had a minor (age 18 ) to join a hhn group private tour I booked.

It worked out fine but since then, I only include ages 21 and over.

It worked better for me.

Waiting on FF passes to come out to decide if i should buy them or single day tix we are going 2 nights and we want the passes for the houses.I can't remember when they came out does anyone have an idea maybe?

Thank you Keisha for the updated newest spec maps.

If the map turns out accurate for HHN at Universal Orlando It will be interesting to see how they transition Dead Mans Wharf to a House. It was a scare zone in 2016.

In 2017 there was a Horrors of Blumhouse and Ash vs Evil Dead.

Also had a Horrors of Blumhouse and Seeds of Extinction in 2018.
There was a Halloween House 2016, 2018 and I’am sure some before that. Micheal Myers has endless potential if the house is good.

Seeds of Extinction was one of my least favorite houses in 2018. So it will be interesting to see what they do with the second installment of this house if the maps correct.

I hope they put the Pumkins back up in the trees in the Scare Zone that Trick or Treat was in located in 2017. It was beautiful to see all the Pumpkins lit up at night.

A little musing.

Seeds of Extinction: Our first two runs were not good at all and we placed it in the bottom of the rankings. But... Our last two runs were perfect and it rocketed to the top spot for our rankings. Crazy how timing (and possibly cast changes) can totally change the perception of a house. I totally get where you're coming from, but I also know how extremely dramatic the difference was for us in our runs. I'm so glad we didn't cut it too soon and went again. This was the biggest swing in perception for us in the 10 years we've been going.

Hey guys! Sorry for my newbness, but are these spec maps usually pretty accurate, it seems like everyone is acting like that is pretty much what it's going to be, like it's leaked from universal internally. ??
Oh, it's a mixed bag, to be honest. Some will wind up on the list, some will be changed, and some will be sorta-like what was listed. It's just something for us HHN-freaks to talk about in the meantime, but the speculation is based on semi-good information being leaked from those in the know. Don't take anything to be gospel until Universal announces it. There have been strong speculation houses replaced at the very last minute (Scream anyone?). Don't base any decisions on speculation maps. It's just something to keep the freaks entertained in the meantime.

i like to do UMH day tour before i do the hhn
with the lights off in the houses

that way i will know what and where to look when i’m the house in the evening

the tour guide explains background of the house
Totally respect macraven's preference, but we like to go one night to HHN before the Unmasking Tour just to be unaware the first time. Then we like to have the Unmasking tour before the rest of our nights, so we know what to look for and know the secrets from the tour. Either method is fine and you'll enjoy the event either way. Trust me, it's a totally different experience going through with the lights on and a tour guide versus at night with the lights off and no guide. I forget so many things, just because it feels so different. The Unmasking tour is so great though, and I don't want to discredit it. We're hooked on it all. We book Frequent Fear w/ Express (for 3-4 nights) and the 6-house Unmasking the Horror Tour every year now. I can't wait for October...

Yeah we were booked on 10am 3 house tour on the day of our RIP tour but there are only 4 places available now and we need 5 so have had to move it as they only time for 5 that day is 1pm and that is too late for a proper break before RIP tour, unless we made RIP later or move day.We might go in on the 2nd but that is opening night and also we are checking in to our hotel that day so if we dont get a room its not great to be returning to hotel very late...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter