Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

Just a heads up - The Michael Myers t shirts are already sold out at Universal atm Tried to buy one last night after picking up our APs and apparently they sold the last one earlier that day.

Here is a question to all of you HHN pros. DW and I are looking to go to HHN on October 15th (this will be our first HHN ever). We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge (we are also doing MNSSP on the same trip). What are the best strategies with getting to Universal for HHN? I assume either Uber or Lyft. We will definitely look into the stay and scream option since this will be on Saturday.

It's just something for us HHN-freaks to talk about in the meantime, but the speculation is based on semi-good information being leaked from those in the know. Don't take anything to be gospel until Universal announces it.
we do tend to grasp at any straw lol
Just a heads up - The Michael Myers t shirts are already sold out at Universal atm Tried to buy one last night after picking up our APs and apparently they sold the last one earlier that day.
if not a reprint, then would assume another version will be issued. U has never been shy on tshirts. I had to wait several days for the first shirt I bought in years to be back in stock last year during the event (tall man). Worth the wait :)

We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge
:cloud9: 10/15, you picked a busy day/time.

S&S would certainly be a big help.

Being an onsite guest normally offers a separate line for quicker access.

as for ride shares, one is the same as the other in my book. have you considered booking private transport? this site has a preferred company they feature, many others in the area.

You may be hit with surge pricing on the return trip, same as you would at a large WDW event.

I just saw on Twitter they announced a Blumhouse House. Not sure if this was already posted.
Nice catch, thanks for posting to confirm the earlier slip up. Figure there were forced into releasing this earlier than anticipated lol

Last edited:

what is the best plan for eating if you have HHN tickets? Never been but we are doing one night on a 4 night Sept stay. plan is early flight arrive by 9am and have a pool day, likely do early entry using one of our park days and head to US around 3, that is stay and scream right? i know they hold you in areas but do these areas typically have food? are people milling about eating and drinking or are they standing in a line to dart to houses?
for HHN in general? do they have enough spots to handle the crowds at quick service? are all the restaurants open? ideally won’t be sitting down because it’s our only night so not sure how to go about planning such a thing as food! no express passes so i’m fine with just getting a taste of it.

what is the best plan for eating if you have HHN tickets? Never been but we are doing one night on a 4 night Sept stay. plan is early flight arrive by 9am and have a pool day, likely do early entry using one of our park days and head to US around 3, that is stay and scream right? i know they hold you in areas but do these areas typically have food? are people milling about eating and drinking or are they standing in a line to dart to houses?
for HHN in general? do they have enough spots to handle the crowds at quick service? are all the restaurants open? ideally won’t be sitting down because it’s our only night so not sure how to go about planning such a thing as food! no express passes so i’m fine with just getting a taste of it.

They do have loads of grab and go options around the parks for food, don`t waste time worrying about sitting down somewhere.

Louie`s has very good pizza if you wanted to eat there too. Finnegans is open but it is usually heaving!

what is the best plan for eating if you have HHN tickets? Never been but we are doing one night on a 4 night Sept stay. plan is early flight arrive by 9am and have a pool day, likely do early entry using one of our park days and head to US around 3, that is stay and scream right? i
Technically. Not sure I’d burn a park
Day on a few hours jump start if they again sell stay & scream tix
know they hold you in areas but do these areas typically have food?
Yes
are people milling about eating and drinking or are they standing in a line to dart to houses?
Both
for HHN in general? do they have enough spots to handle the crowds at quick service?
No, generally not efficiently IMO. Be prepared to wait
are all the restaurants open?
No
ideally won’t be sitting down because it’s our only night so not sure how to go about planning such a thing as food! no express passes so i’m fine with just getting a taste of it.
Get in line for holding pen, then grab ur food

PS
HHN Hollywood has ALL their tix out.

Again, this not Orlando.

Taking it as a good sign for USO I’m seeing multi night tix

https://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/hhn/en/us/tickets

Can’t say I’m up to speed on what their past multi night pricing has been as we’ve only done single nights there. However, prices seem high

85D47282-93FC-4153-B7BD-BB29A0946C10.jpeg

for HHN in general? do they have enough spots to handle the crowds at quick service? are all the restaurants open? ideally won’t be sitting down because it’s our only night so not sure how to go about planning such a thing as food! no express passes so i’m fine with just getting a taste of i

For a one-night HHN without Express, I would suggest considering eating a full meal at City Walk (or wherever) before entering the park. Then if you get there early for stay and scream, start with your most anticipated houses, while you get the head start. Then a little later, you can get quick service snacks or meals (the "food truck" stands have had pretty good foodie-type food and drinks the last few years) before finishing up the night.

I highly suggest having a house, scare zone, and show priority list (for the group), so you can see the most important stuff and work in the rest. If you aren't there opening weekend, you should be able to get a good idea of early reports about houses, zones, shows, and food. It will require a bit of research and planning, but it should pay off in getting the most done while still being able to relax and eat and take in the event.

With 10 houses, 5 zones, 2 shows, and a lot of food options, it's very difficult to do it all in one night without having the experience of doing it previously. Just have realistic expectations, and be sure to do your top-list stuff first.

Bonus tip: The houses are dark, and with stay and scream, it will still be daylight. Strongly consider wearing sunglasses until the moment before entering the house, so your eyes will not take as long to adjust to the dark. The event is incredibly fun, so just try to stay in the fun mode. Enjoy!

For a one-night HHN without Express, I would suggest considering eating a full meal at City Walk (or wherever) before entering the park. Then if you get there early for stay and scream, start with your most anticipated houses, while you get the head start. Then a little later, you can get quick service snacks or meals (the "food truck" stands have had pretty good foodie-type food and drinks the last few years) before finishing up the night.

I highly suggest having a house, scare zone, and show priority list (for the group), so you can see the most important stuff and work in the rest. If you aren't there opening weekend, you should be able to get a good idea of early reports about houses, zones, shows, and food. It will require a bit of research and planning, but it should pay off in getting the most done while still being able to relax and eat and take in the event.

With 10 houses, 5 zones, 2 shows, and a lot of food options, it's very difficult to do it all in one night without having the experience of doing it previously. Just have realistic expectations, and be sure to do your top-list stuff first.
Thanks so much! I am def going to have to plan it just right, a nice sit down dinner sounds like a great advice to start the night! wondering how much the lower tier of HHN freq fear pass is, and if its worth it $$$$ to cut down a day of the reg park tix and do that instead. Also, If the multi day tickets are similar cost difference than stay and scream which one should I opt for (as in the difference between a 3day vs 4 day pass). 4 nights and so many decisions, decisions, decisions!!

5) Following the advice of other blogs, we did a huge meal at Toothsome first so that we didn’t need to eat a full meal the rest of the night. It was pretty hot so we stopped for drinks a few times, but I think we only jumped into a line for snacks once, and we picked that booth because of how short the line was.
Can you tell me what time you planned lunch/dinner to get into the stay and scream at a decent time without rushing?

I have heard that HHN tickets sell out. what happens if I wait for rush of fear pass? 3rd weekend in September. If I buy a single night ticket now can I upgrade to rush of fear if/when they offer it?

on a holiday weekend, saturday can be sold out

I think you will be fine for 3rd weekend in September.
That is one of the days i will be in the park

We should meet and say “hi”

Thanks so much! I am def going to have to plan it just right, a nice sit down dinner sounds like a great advice to start the night! wondering how much the lower tier of HHN freq fear pass is, and if its worth it $$$$ to cut down a day of the reg park tix and do that instead. Also, If the multi day tickets are similar cost difference than stay and scream which one should I opt for (as in the difference between a 3day vs 4 day pass). 4 nights and so many decisions, decisions, decisions!!
I want to make sure I'm giving you proper advice here, but I'm a bit confused about the question. I just want to make sure I understand, since as we all know this is a very expensive event. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just want to make sure I am giving the best advise here, so please bear with me.

Are you planning on visiting USO multiple days? Are you planning on visiting multiple nights of HHN? Since I think you said you will be there in September, definitely check the price of Rush of Fear pass, if you will be going more than one night. The Rush of Fear pass with or without express is the best deal if you are going multiple mights in September (be absolutely sure they cover your nights if so). If you are for sure only going one night, then check the price of express pass and/or RIP tour if you want to be sure to see most or all during that one night.

I would recommend deciding how many daytime days you want and separately deciding how many HHN nights you are going first. Since they are separate tickets, that will help us give you better advice.

Sorry to be elusive, I just don't want to say something that might cost you money and time if I'm not understanding your plans properly. Please just continue to ask, and I and others will continue to give advice. I'm glad you are asking this far in advance, so we can best help you to have the best experience.

I want to make sure I'm giving you proper advice here, but I'm a bit confused about the question. I just want to make sure I understand, since as we all know this is a very expensive event. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just want to make sure I am giving the best advise here, so please bear with me.

Are you planning on visiting USO multiple days? Are you planning on visiting multiple nights of HHN? Since I think you said you will be there in September, definitely check the price of Rush of Fear pass, if you will be going more than one night.

Thanks so much for helping me!
plan is cabana bay/hard rock split stay
Sept 15-19 thursday-monday
early arrival plane lands at 9am
ideally we were thinking 4 day park to park with one HHN night

initial plan
Thursday
pool day on arrival relax/ HHN $76x5 using one of the 4 day park passes as stay and scream

Friday
Volcano Bay rented a cabana/ maybe IOA evening or citiwalk

Saturday
early to HRH express pass parks/ midday pool.
repeat plan on Sunday. fly out midday monday

we have hotel and airfare paid for but have to buy tickets next

4 day park to park tickets are 388 +tax
3 day park to park tickets are 367+tax
HHN one night $76 pp sept 15

so if I get the frequent fear or rush of fear whatever the name is for $150-$199
that gives us ideally options to go each night of our stay Thursday-Sunday then I could drop the extra day pass
we could feasibly do HHN Thursday and Friday and even part of sat and sunday. just wish they would put all the tickets out!! it would be so much easier to plan if I knew how much stay and scream was. and if i needed it instead of a 4 day pass 😬

plan is to do all of it though we have been to the dry parks, have not done HHN ever, and kids haven’t done VB, for clarity kids are 19,20,23 so they will likely not get enough of HHN on one night

also, I can’t swing HHN express passes because it’s too much $$ for 5 people.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what time you planned lunch/dinner to get into the stay and scream at a decent time without rushing?
Hey, we were total HHN newbies last year. First time going. Definitely made a few mistakes.
We ate at toothsome's , done around 3PM, but didn't eat super filling meals. We were all hungry by later in the night. Also took more time than expected to get back to Portofino, rest a bit, get ready, charge phones etc. Made it to stay/scream about 30 mins before park close, and got in the line.
Later, Ended up wasting too much time ordering inside/sitting down to eat at Louie's. Pizza was surprisingly good, but I went for the pizza fries., which were delicious! If we do get to HHN this year, will try mobile order instead, and eat more quickly.
Prepare for more walking that you can imagine! I expected tons of walking around the parks, but didn't really comprehend that several houses are backstage, in the production areas, well off the beaten path.
we did stay/scream, and it worked out really well. got 4 houses done very,very quickly, but wasn't able to do 2 of the biggies in a row, like we'd hoped. we chose the S/S holding area for Hill House. Never got to Beetlejuice. (but quickly did others.) DId a couple scare zones. Then we lost some momentum.. Also turned out to be a very busy night. Our 5th house, Texas Chainsaw, had a posted 90 min wait, we waited 60. We skipped the shows, none of us were interested. Ended up doing 8 houses, left at 1AM (kids were tired! I could've stayed longer.) I think we could've gotten the last 2 in, if we'd stayed until 2. Also wasted some time because kids wanted to ride Rip Ride Rocket. line was long, but I enjoyed a few adult beverages, so all good.
If we do this year, will just be 1 night again, likely beginning of Disney trip, Columbus day weekend. blah. Super busy time for sure. . If there's any chance we could manage 2 nights, and/or express, I totally would. I wanted to repeat a couple houses, and no time .
Had an awesome first HHN though. So much great advice on these Universal threads. Happy planning!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter