Official 2023 Halloween Horror Nights 32 (Orlando)

Unfortunately opening weekend is always chaos from reports. There are just some things that can’t be predicted until people get in and ops sees how crowds flow. Usually many of these things do get better or changed to make things smoother (One thing. I’ve found is Universal really does listen to guest feed back and RESPONDS with actual ACTIONS in timely manner). When you get a survey definitely mention your frustrations in as much detail as you can.

For your first time certainly is frustrating. If you do decide in the future to try again definitely go a later September or October weekend. Ops has a better handle on stuff or things get changed to help with issues and scareactors really have a chance to settle into roles.
Yeah, I figured that opening weekend would be chaotic and I tried to pack my patience, but after the third hour se with nearly double the posted wait, my patience ran thin. (Five of the six houses we went to had this issue. Only Dueling Dragons was a tad lower. Heck, Monsters Unleashed was over double, though that was more understandable because there appeared to be a medical event and a shift change.)

In some other circles I’m in, there were a lot of complaints about Express waits being as long as the standby time, but I think they were going off of the posted standby. Our experience was that standby was just horribly off, so I hope Universal doesn’t “overcorrect” the Express to standby ratio.

We were in Orlando very last minute for a one-off thing. We’re typically constrained to fall break week if at all. But maybe we’ll try again if the stars align.

I hate it that you didn't have a good time. That's a lot of money and time (and walking!) to not enjoy it. Our first time was last year, opening wknd again, and it was a totally different experience. SOOO much better organized last year on opening weekend and we fell in love with the event. If you are a big horror/Halloween fan, you might want to give it one more try.
I’ve only recently learned that I actually like this stuff. (I volunteered for a fundraiser haunt attraction for four years and just never enjoyed it outside of that, ha.) A few years ago we did a Six Flags Fright Fest and that was ok, but I was there for the rides, not the houses, so didn’t get a full experience.

Last year we did Howl O Scream at SeaWorld and I loved it. This was fall break week, mid October. Maybe I just liked the style more. They chunked us up into smaller groups, it wasn’t just conga line after conga line where you saw the scare before you got there. And the scare zone actors would come up and talk with us and actually interact. Their costumes and production values weren’t as high as HHN, of course, but it felt more personal, I guess?

We have plans to try a different Fright Fest this year, so we’ll see!

ETA: Ah, I forgot to mention that we also did the two houses that Universal put on outside of HHN in 2020, and I really liked those (Bride of Frankenstein and the Tooth Fairy). But I think the big difference there was no conga line, so maybe that’s the reason this HHN experience fell flat!

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that opening weekend would be chaotic and I tried to pack my patience, but after the third hour se with nearly double the posted wait, my patience ran thin. (Five of the six houses we went to had this issue. Only Dueling Dragons was a tad lower. Heck, Monsters Unleashed was over double, though that was more understandable because there appeared to be a medical event and a shift change.)

In some other circles I’m in, there were a lot of complaints about Express waits being as long as the standby time, but I think they were going off of the posted standby. Our experience was that standby was just horribly off, so I hope Universal doesn’t “overcorrect” the Express to standby ratio.

We were in Orlando very last minute for a one-off thing. We’re typically constrained to fall break week if at all. But maybe we’ll try again if the stars align.
From reports on another board it does seen that EP got smoothed out on Sunday. I’d have been very frustrated too! Overall it just seemed yesterday was better all way round. My kiddo went all three nights so this was her perspective.

Hopefully the stars do align and you get a much better experience someday!

Last year we did Howl O Scream at SeaWorld and I loved it. This was fall break week, mid October. Maybe I just liked the style more. They chunked us up into smaller groups, it wasn’t just conga line after conga line where you saw the scare before you got there. And the scare zone actors would come up and talk with us and actually interact. Their costumes and production values weren’t as high as HHN, of course, but it felt more personal, I guess?
Yeah - I think I prefer Howl O Scream as its more adult oriented and a lot more of fun - similar to HHN several years ago.

I think the big change for HHN was Stranger Things - I really enjoyed most of the houses and I like the show - but it did bring in a much younger crowd and a big crowd. IMO it did get repetitive, just like the purge and walking dead. I'm also starting to wonder if VampXX is getting repetitive as well.

Still as you say Universal has the production values hand down.

As for the conga line - yeah that sort of ruins things overall as its really easy to miss the scare and the person in front or behind you gets it. They are also rushing you through so you really cant linger and enjoy the work that was put into the house - one of the reason I always book the daytime behind the horrors tour.

I have every time I've done HHN. Heck the long walk back to the parking lot feels like half the distance of just walking across the street. During those HHN years where I don't have an annual UO pass, walking over saves us $30 daily - that adds up after a while! But if you have any health or physical issues or just aren't used to walking a lot in day-to-day life (I am) it may feel like too much on top of all the HHN walking.
Is it a safe walk for 2 females to do alone after HHN? I'm not sure if there will be a shuttle running and we are going to fly in and do one day at Universal and the next night at HHN. We would rather not do cars/Uber to and from the park if we can avoid it. We don't mind the distance...just the safety!

We've walked around Disneyland/Anaheim/Harbor Blvd area past midnight with no worries if that helps!

First time doing HHN. Is there a way to see if any nights are sold out? We'd prefer to go on 10/14, but it's not listed when I try purchasing tix. 10/15 is, but not 10/14.

TIA!

Sold out nights for hhn will not be listed(14)
Ok thx. So 10/14 is sold out? I wasn't sure if I just wasn't looking in the right spot for that date - thinking they're priced differently.

ETA: Nevermind it looks like it's not sold out. I was able to pick the date. It's just odd that when I first clicked details on the single nights it doesn't list 10/13 or 10/14, but then lets me pick rhe 14th later. I'm just not used to Universals system.

She’s a veteran of these things: had extra socks, water bottle, small umbrella, poncho in her small backpack and they ate before they hit event.
Did she have bracelets to trade? :duck:

GD insisted it was fun at TS concert. There will be armfuls lol

Is it a safe walk for 2 females to do alone after HHN? I'm not sure if there will be a shuttle running and we are going to fly in and do one day at Universal and the next night at HHN. We would rather not do cars/Uber to and from the park if we can avoid it. We don't mind the distance...just the safety!

We've walked around Disneyland/Anaheim/Harbor Blvd area past midnight with no worries if that helps!
yes...if you leave right when HHN's ending, you'll likely have plenty of company - quite a few folks walk it. they have a terrific pedestrian passover bridge, so you don't even have to cross the busy street and there are several hotels on the other side. Just be attentive and try to stay with others. But I feel it's a very safe walk/very touristy area. Most of the walk is on UO property.

yes...if you leave right when HHN's ending, you'll likely have plenty of company - quite a few folks walk it. they have a terrific pedestrian passover bridge, so you don't even have to cross the busy street and there are several hotels on the other side. Just be attentive and try to stay with others. But I feel it's a very safe walk/very touristy area. Most of the walk is on UO property.
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. I haven't been to UO since 2014 🫣 and have never been to HHN. Planned a last minute trip with my fiancé's daughter and I've only stayed on property and used the shuttle in the past. We can't wait!

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. I haven't been to UO since 2014 🫣 and have never been to HHN. Planned a last minute trip with my fiancé's daughter and I've only stayed on property and used the shuttle in the past. We can't wait!
You may want to search youtube for a video of the walk from your specific hotel or one of the ones around it.

For example I was considering this hotel and found a video of the walk

I’m not sure if this has been asked before, but are the Death Eaters only in Diagon Alley for HHN or are they in Hogsmeade too? I tried finding info online, but it was vague.

Looking for opinions... My daughter (teen) and I are heading to HHN for a week in October. We bought one of the frequent fear passes that will give us 4 nights of access during our trip (Sun, Wed, Thurs, Fri). We have annual passes to Universal so we will do the stay and scream each night but I don't think we would have the stamina to do close each night. We went last year (for our first time) one night, got express, and managed to do all ten houses and the main show, but we left at 12:30 am. We were pretty exhausted. I have been looking at adding express to our tickets (at this point it looks like it would cost around $450 each to upgrade them). I definitely think it would make for a more enjoyable experience for the four nights but I am just not sure it is worth that cost and I also wonder how many times we would actually go through each house. We do love horror/scary stuff, and loved last year, but do people think express might be overkill here or would you recommend it? Thanks for your time/thoughts.

Looking for opinions... My daughter (teen) and I are heading to HHN for a week in October. We bought one of the frequent fear passes that will give us 4 nights of access during our trip (Sun, Wed, Thurs, Fri). We have annual passes to Universal so we will do the stay and scream each night but I don't think we would have the stamina to do close each night. We went last year (for our first time) one night, got express, and managed to do all ten houses and the main show, but we left at 12:30 am. We were pretty exhausted. I have been looking at adding express to our tickets (at this point it looks like it would cost around $450 each to upgrade them). I definitely think it would make for a more enjoyable experience for the four nights but I am just not sure it is worth that cost and I also wonder how many times we would actually go through each house. We do love horror/scary stuff, and loved last year, but do people think express might be overkill here or would you recommend it? Thanks for your time/thoughts.
With 4 nights you’ll have plenty of time to get thru everything if you don’t mind the occasional longer wait $450 each is a ton of money. Another option is to wait and see how it goes and maybe pick one night (Friday) and see if they have the 50% off EP after 11pm (think it’s 11 pm may be 10) available.

Is the $450- to add EP for every night? If so, and it was me, from our experience this past weekend, I would lean towards not adding it for your whole time there.

That's based on a number of factors. We hit almost every house twice - they were all worthwhile, but IMHO if we had a third night there are a few we would probably skip (LOU, DD - just our opinion), regardless of wait times. And I don't know how many we would go through a fourth time. And - again, just our opinions - the show was a one and done.

We did have EP opening night, which of course was insanely busy. I see you're going when things will probably have settled down, and on nights (Sunday - unless that's on the Holiday weekend - and Wednesday) that have traditionally lower crowds. My gut says you'll have plenty of time, with a decent strategy, of getting in all the houses you want multiple times (not on the same night of course). And of course the scare zones are also a ton of fun, and those you don't have to worry about getting into.

I would maybe consider EPs for your first night, to make it a bit more relaxing, and allow you to do every house without killing yourself? Then you'll know which ones you want to prioritize on you other nights.

Of course, if $$$ is no object, EPs are always handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter