*** Official August 2021 thread ***

The Here & Now Thread have some people talking about their experiences now. Handful of reports sharing that things feel like they've slowed down a bit, but definitely not like it was last year at this time.

those first few months after reopening last year were a dream come true. the longest line we waited on was 30 mins and that was only once and it was due to catching a cleaning cycle at a very bad time. we did fop as a walk on 2 times in a row one day. the fear of covid was super real and high but it turned out to be well worth it (although its easy to say that now after we got back home safe and sound)

those first few months after reopening last year were a dream come true. the longest line we waited on was 30 mins and that was only once and it was due to catching a cleaning cycle at a very bad time. we did fop as a walk on 2 times in a row one day. the fear of covid was super real and high but it turned out to be well worth it (although its easy to say that now after we got back home safe and sound)
I totally agree and am SO glad we went last year! We went in July, Sept, Nov and Dec. 2020 and not only were the great trips we'll never forget, it's been super interesting watching the progression from nobody else on Main St. besides us to........everyone on Main St. again lol. We were there again this Feb and felt "crowds" to some degree back for the first time but still so minimal; April was a bit more crowded and this June was really the first "wow people are BACK!" moment we've had. We head down again in the morning and I know I'll be saying I miss those 2020 trips which is just about all I miss from 2020!

Here now, getting ready for our first park day. Had an a great day at Disney Springs yesterday- everyone had masks on in stores, no problem- and there were many people with masks on outside as well. I felt really good about it and I was nervous beforehand, but will update after a real park day.

Here now, getting ready for our first park day. Had an a great day at Disney Springs yesterday- everyone had masks on in stores, no problem- and there were many people with masks on outside as well. I felt really good about it and I was nervous beforehand, but will update after a real park day.
Can't wait to hear!!!!

Thanks! Appreciate the updates. We're coming to Disney on 8/14. Everyone is fully vaxxed with second shots 3-4 mths ago. Will likely wear masks outside in crowded areas as well as the required indoors. (Went last summer when it was required everywhere and we were fine with it.)

We arrived Saturday at 415pm after a 13hr drive from Va. We are staying at Windsor Hills and have not done any parks yet.

Have ventured out to Walmart and the pool. Walmart was PACKED. Figured it was a good introduction as to what I may expect at the parks. :rotfl2: The pool was busy yesterday but everyone seemed to keep their distance from each other even in the water.

We are wearing our masks when we go inside anywhere.

We are visiting Universal tomorrow (Disney will be next week). Girls are excited for their first time at Universal.

Had a full blown migraine around 6, had to pack it in early but it wasn’t indicative of the day because we had a great one! Rope dropped MK, no wait for the ferry, they didn’t pack it in either, got in POTC, HM, People Mover, Pooh before 11 and mobile ordered Pecos Bill for lunch, monorail had no wait to parking and was not crowded at all. Park hopped to Epcot for the night with no problem. Joined the walk up queue for Spice Road Table and waited maybe 3 minutes. Walked up to Greece, Germany and Morocco booths, no wait.

Felt a lot better being here and seeing people with masks and being vigilant. There are a few that need reminders of course when entering stores and rides, but CMs have been on top of it. Fully vaxxed and masked gives me a sense of relief for sure. No social distancing at all in crowds or if you’re rope dropping and in lines, but there is room to space out and keep a distance when walking, which we are doing and not piling in the crowds. We just know we’ll get to things eventually and if not, it’s not a need to do everything kind of trip, it’s definitely go with the flow, but I like the change up to our usual pace. I also have to say, I was imagining massive, can’t move crowds and this is less than what we’ve seen in MK and Epcot on our past August trips, so we’ve been pleasantly surprised- although it’s still early in our trip!

Maybe this should’ve been posted in the Here Back Now thread, but I thought it’d help specifically with August goers!

Last edited:
Had a full blown migraine around 6, had to pack it in early but it wasn’t indicative of the day because we had a great one! Rope dropped MK, no wait for the ferry, they didn’t pack it in either, got in POTC, HM, People Mover, Pooh before 11 and mobile ordered Pecos Bill for lunch, monorail had no wait to parking and was not crowded at all. Park hopped to Epcot for the night with no problem. Joined the walk up queue for Spice Road Table and waited maybe 3 minutes. Walked up to Greece, Germany and Morocco booths, no wait.

Felt a lot better being here and seeing people with masks and being vigilant. There are a few that need reminders of course when entering stores and rides, but CMs have been on top of it. Fully vaxxed and masked gives me a sense of relief for sure. No social distancing at all in crowds or if you’re rope dropping and in lines, but there is room to space out and keep a distance when walking, which we are doing and not piling in the crowds. We just know we’ll get to things eventually and if not, it’s not a need to do everything kind of trip, it’s definitely go with the flow, but I like the change up to our usual pace. I also have to say, I was imagining massive, can’t move crowds and this is less than what we’ve seen in MK and Epcot on our past August trips, so we’ve been pleasantly surprised- although it’s still early in our trip!

Maybe this should’ve been posted in the Here Back Now thread, but I thought it’d help specifically with August goers!
Thank you for the update! Today I'm feeling like maybe we should still go. We are supposed to arrive in 2 weeks and I'm just waiting and watching closely. I am glad to hear most are following mask guidelines. We are renting a car so happy to hear you had a good experience with MK parking and ferry. Enjoy your trip and really appreciate the real-time reviews!

Hope your migraine went away quickly. Those are a pain especially in the heat.

We went to CityWalk last night. The girls and I decided on a code word when it's time to mask up..."people" lol Easy enough to remember! It was busy and hard to maintain distance but we kept masks on and although humid, we managed ok. Ate indoors at NBC Grill but the tables were spaced out enough you didn't feel uncomfortable. Played a round of mini golf, everyone maintaining space between families (masks were hit/miss in this area). After passing security on way out, we were able to remove masks.

Overall a good night. I was a bit stressed initially over not knowing what to expect. We are going to the parks today so we know masks will likely be on most of the day. Packing extras to have fresh ones when we can. No rushing and just go with as much of the flow as possible.

Anyone there now and want to give us any updates on crowds or just the general vibe?
We are regular August visitors. Did Epcot Sunday & Studios yesterday. Both had much lower crowds than our past August visits. Eventhough crowds are down (IMO) Studios lines are crazy long due to no shows being open.
Just finished 3 Boardwalk nights. Heading to Polynesian today for 5 nights then Kidani for 6 nights.
Our decreased expectations have been exceeded (so far) & we are having a good time.

We are regular August visitors. Did Epcot Sunday & Studios yesterday. Both had much lower crowds than our past August visits. Eventhough crowds are down (IMO) Studios lines are crazy long due to no shows being open.
Just finished 3 Boardwalk nights. Heading to Polynesian today for 5 nights then Kidani for 6 nights.
Our decreased expectations have been exceeded (so far) & we are having a good time.
I love lowered expectations!!! :rotfl2:

How’s it going August travelers? I’m on the going side of the fence right now.

We are having an awesome trip! Definitely our favorite one ever! I’m not sure if we are getting lucky with ride wait times or what, but we haven’t found lines bad at all. Yes, there are lots of people, but we are managing just fine. We’ve found so much pixie dust this trip! CMs have been wonderful and we’ve enjoyed talking to many of them. We haven’t had a bad day yet, but yesterday was probably perfect. To top it off, we walked on Big Thunder Mountain last night right around the time HEA was starting and we watched the fireworks while riding. That ride is so much fun in the dark, but especially fun with fireworks!

We had to sleep in today. We walked over 25,000 steps yesterday and are just exhausted; we’ve been here since August 1st! Today’s my birthday so we are going back to the MK and then to ‘Ohanas tonight!

we are booked for yacht club - water view currently, but i can switch to boardwalk villas studio - standard view, and it would actually save me $100. but i would be renting dvc points which i have never done before. i guess at this point its probably silly to change right?

we are booked for yacht club - water view currently, but i can switch to boardwalk villas studio - standard view, and it would actually save me $100. but i would be renting dvc points which i have never done before. i guess at this point its probably silly to change right?
I would keep your current reservation, especially when it's not a significant savings, and I don't believe renting points has a favorable cancellation policy.

Personally, I would love Yacht Club!

Your current reservation is very easy to cancel/move. Would it be the same with a DVC rental? I have never done it but it appears from comments that those are more challenging to change if you wish to move/cancel/delay your trip.

Last edited:
$100 total or $100 a night over a long-ish trip? If the former, I'd keep Yacht, solely for the water view. But if we're talking a total of several hundred dollars I'd probably switch. I'm a weirdo that actually doesn't like Stormalong Bay though so I view BWV and its luna park pool as an upgrade, and I generally also just prefer the theme at Boardwalk.

The other consideration is the YC hotel room will most likely have two queen beds, but the studio will have one regular and one sofa bed. We don't mind the sofa beds as we just stick our kids on them and they are easy to please, but if you have older kids or adults needing separate sleep spaces, the two beds in YC will be nicer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter