Official California Grill Open ADR Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same... we might do something else and just got cocktails/a spicy kazaan roll when the times comes and call it good.

That's my plan! Kazaan rolls and cocktails. :) Might try full meals on a future trip, but a roll and drink sounds like a perfect meal right now.

My daughter did love the dessert made to look like sushi from the kids' menu! That was a huge hit!!
That's been one of our favorite's in the past.. so glad to see it still on the menu!

My daughter did love the dessert made to look like sushi from the kids' menu! That was a huge hit!!
That's my DD's favorite part of the meal! We have even just ordered dessert to go in the past :). She usually eats the vegetarian sushi for her entree.

ETA: We'll have to try the Kaazan roll next time since everyone else seems to really like it.

I hate to pile on, especially since we haven't been to the refurb'd version yet, but...

We have never allowed our kids to be the all-the-time chicken nugget and french fries kids, so I can appreciate trying to get kids to eat new things....but, wow....clearly the person who created this kids menu does not actually have kids.

I think this may be a bit too far...there are plenty of kids who have no issues with sweet potatoes and carrots. If they don't like that, the flatbreads, salads and soups are always an option as well.

Geez some of the reviews have been disappointing.

Being from northern NJ and eating good sushi all the time I wasn't going to get the Kazan roll (seemed very expensive for what it is) but that looks like the only item that people STILL like. For those that are used to high quality sushi-- is the Kazan roll worth ordering?

I think this may be a bit too far...there are plenty of kids who have no issues with sweet potatoes and carrots. If they don't like that, the flatbreads, salads and soups are always an option as well.

My daughter normally loves sweet potatoes and carrots. These were just tasteless. This sounds kind of dumb, but the carrot really didn't taste like a carrot, just nothing. I understand that they try to make things very plain for children -- no butter, salt, or other seasoning, but it was almost like they cooked out the natural taste of the vegetable.

I just saw a pretty good review on the Coming to you live on the dining review thread.

I think it was yesterday so a page or 2 back.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I just cancelled my 10/6 7:30 ADR and booked Flying Fish. I KNOW I'll enjoy my meal there! We will perhaps try CG next trip and give them more time to get their act together.

mystery222184 said:
Geez some of the reviews have been disappointing.

Being from northern NJ and eating good sushi all the time I wasn't going to get the Kazan roll (seemed very expensive for what it is) but that looks like the only item that people STILL like. For those that are used to high quality sushi-- is the Kazan roll worth ordering?

I am from NY and have had good sushi in and around the city and the Spicy Kazan roll is one of the best I have ever had. Also while it isn't cheap it is pretty darn big and never felt cheated

I am from NY and have had good sushi in and around the city and the Spicy Kazan roll is one of the best I have ever had. Also while it isn't cheap it is pretty darn big and never felt cheated

If you aren't a huge eater do you think you could make a meal out of it?

I was thinking the same about sushi....we are thinking of sharing the Kazan roll, maybe also the California or the tuna. Along with maybe two appetizers looks like enough food? The cost is literally insane though.

Will they box up the kids sushi if we want to take it back to the kids? D you think it will be okay/ not stale or fall apart if we give it the next day?

I have a California Grill for 9/30 at 5:00 p.m. for 3 people that will be canceling, please let me know if anyone wants to coordinate.

As fired up as people got about this place it's interesting to see how many don't like it. My solution is simple - don't read the reviews. People are more likely to post about bad experiences than good. My reservation for next weekend isn't being canceled because someone in Winnipeg or Phoenix said the food was bad.

AquaDame said:
If you aren't a huge eater do you think you could make a meal out of it?

I think if you had that and bread and dessert that might be enough. Definitely if you did like that and an app or flatbread or even shared a flatbread with someone

I was thinking the same about sushi....we are thinking of sharing the Kazan roll, maybe also the California or the tuna. Along with maybe two appetizers looks like enough food? The cost is literally insane though.

Yeah, at $26 its priced like an entree for sure! :lmao: one of the large specialty rolls here is usually $10-12 and is usually enough for for me - especially if I get a nigiri with it or miso & salad. When we go out my husband and I are usually stuffed if we get two entrees to split; an appetizer and an entree is usually enough as well. Heck, when we get take out curry ONE is enough WITH LEFTOVERS. lol! :cutie:

As fired up as people got about this place it's interesting to see how many don't like it. My solution is simple - don't read the reviews. People are more likely to post about bad experiences than good. My reservation for next weekend isn't being canceled because someone in Winnipeg or Phoenix said the food was bad.

I really hope you have a wonderful meal.

Laura

I just got back from our trip last Monday, I am STUNNED at some of the bad reviews that CG is getting. Out of the 4 of us we agreed that it was the best place we ate while at DW....we took at cruise to the Bahamas so it didn't beat Palo in the grand scheme of things. We ate there the 2nd night it was open and everything was better than it has been in the past.

We have eaten at CG every year when we go to DW and we were very happy with the menu, the changes, and how our food was prepared. I have gotten the filet before and was not very happy with it but this time it was perfect. The SK roll was top notch as always.

Please don't cancel your dining reservations based on a few reviews. We will book it again next year.

cattrix said:
I just got back from our trip last Monday, I am STUNNED at some of the bad reviews that CG is getting. Out of the 4 of us we agreed that it was the best place we ate while at DW....we took at cruise to the Bahamas so it didn't beat Palo in the grand scheme of things. We ate there the 2nd night it was open and everything was better than it has been in the past.

We have eaten at CG every year when we go to DW and we were very happy with the menu, the changes, and how our food was prepared. I have gotten the filet before and was not very happy with it but this time it was perfect. The SK roll was top notch as always.

Please don't cancel your dining reservations based on a few reviews. We will book it again next year.

Thanks for your comments and glad you had a good meal. What were your thoughts on portion size?

Thanks for your comments and glad you had a good meal. What were your thoughts on portion size?

We were on the DDP so we were stuffed at the end of the meal, but to me portion size was exactly the same as it used to be. We didn't see any difference in that aspect of the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter