Official Camping Recipe Thread!

Here is a very EASY camping recipe.
Get two ham steaks. Mix 1/4 c lemon juice, 1 c packed brown sugar, 1/3 c horseradish. Mix together and warm in the microwave for 1 min.
Place the ham steaks on the grill and continously baste. Cook about 6 mins per side while basting with the sauce.

The ham turns out great with a wonderful sweet flavor! Even my husband who really does not like ham b/c of the saltiness, likes this recipe.

Wrap up some sweet potatoes in foil and stick on the grill and micro some green beans and you have an easy, healthful meal!

The ham steaks sound delightful and easy. Wonder if you could substitute ranch drsg. for the horseradish. I don't have any on hand but I have plenty of ranch LOL.

Just take 2 eggs, crack them into a baggie. Seal the baggies and using your hands, squish the bag so the eggs scramble. Open the bag and add your favorite ingredients...shredded cheese, diced onion, chopped mushrooms, diced ham, green pepper, then seal the baggie and put into a cooler with ice.

When you're ready for breakfast, just drop the baggies into a bag of boiling water and it cooks up almost instantly!

What prevents the bag from melting? Sounds like a great idea. Thanks! Holly

What prevents the bag from melting? Sounds like a great idea. Thanks! Holly

As long as the bag is in the water and not hanging over the edge of the pot, it won't melt.

Btw, we even make "eggs in a bag" at home. The kids love squishing the eggs and watching the color change (science experiment). It makes the perfect omlette. And it's great when you have a lot of company, everyone can make their own.

I've noticed some of these crockpot recipes involve adding rice. Is this instant rice or regular? Thanks!:)

3 Cans of Chicken Broth
1 Package frozen Ore Ida Potatoes O'Brien
1 Envelop County Gravy Mix

Combine all and simmer....DELICIOUS!

(you won't even notice it is weight watchers!):thumbsup2

THE MOST DANGEROUS CAKE RECIPE IN THE WORLD

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

This is one of our favorites
2-3 lb pork loin (trim excess fat)
1 package dry onion soup mix
splash of water
Put in crock pot overnight
Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat and add your favorite bbq sauce and keep on low for the rest of the day (make sure you use the juice in the bottom of the crockpot too). Serve on rolls for lunch or dinner.

Sometimes we freeze it before we head to the fort and then defrost and throw it in the crockpot with the bbq sauce.

This may have been posted elsewhere, but a great and EASY recipe for meatballs is:

2 jars of Heinz Chili Sauce
1 32 oz jar of Grape Jelly
1 bag frozen meatballs

Mix 2 sauces together, add meatballs to the pot, cover with sauce and turn on for a few hours.

Sounds weird, tastes great!!

I make this even when we are at home and the kids literally fight over the leftovers... we usually serve it with mashed potatoes but its also yummy over rice...

4-5lb beef roast
1 large onion- sliced
2 or 3 packs of sliced Baby Bella mushrooms (jarred can also be used)
2 cups of beef stock
2-3 cups of dry red wine
4tsp minced garlic (i use the jarred type)

put mushrooms and onions in the bottom of the crock pot, place roast on top and top with garlic, stock and wine. cook 8-10 hours depending on size of roast... enjoy..

this also works great for a french dip style sandwhich- I ususally get some fresh bread, a few slices of swiss cheese top with the shredded up roast and dip in the Au Jus... mmmmmmmm...

My dd is getting married in Disney~and everyone(less than 30)wants us to just get together after the ceremony, (before heading to EPCOT for dessert party) some offered to do a cookout, I think it would be imposible~BUT these recipes sound like a great idea! Most of us are staying at the Fort as we do every year! I'm going to mention it! Thanks for all the great ideas!

E-Z donuts

1 package of premade biscuits uncooked [not the flaky layers kind]
vegetable oil
powdered sugar
cinnamon
milk

open biscuits, separate, flatten somewhat, cut out center, place in hot grease till golden, flip till golden on 2nd side

place powdered sugar, powdered sugar & cinnamon or mix powdered sugar with milk to form a glaze [ you can add chocolate to the glaze also] on the fresh hot donut

My family and I are going camping in two weeks and never thought to bring along the slow cooker. You can only have so many hot dogs and hamburgers.

I love the thought of bringning a slow cooker. I would have never thought of that either.

I would love to see some more "cook over the fire" type recipes! This thread has been great!

:)Each time I camp, there are certain breakfasts I must have:

1. Bologna & cheddar on toast
Cook the bologna on the bbq or campfire! If you're using a grate or pan, after you turn it over, put some cheddar cheese on it, and eat it on toast with some dijon and mayo! A cup of hot tea, and it's a beautiful outdoor handheld brekkie.​
2. Bacon & eggs on toast
Always cooked in a cast iron frying pan. And save the grease for the campfire later​
3. Homemade pancakes with real maple syrup
Mix dry ingreds in baggie at home, and just add water/milk or yogurt, egg if needed​
4. Grilled cheese sandwichs w/ fresh sliced tomato

We try not to use many disposables, because it just seems to conflict with getting back to nature, but my sister came up with a perfect item for storing/ washing/ drying dishes:
She bought a plastic box with hinged lid. The box is just about the size of a dishpan. And the opened lid makes the perfect slant to use as a drain board. She use a hole punch & mallet to punch holes at the bottom of lid for drainage. And when the dishes are dried, and the pan as well, just stow the dishes in the box and close it!​

...my sister came up with a perfect item for storing/ washing/ drying dishes:
She bought a plastic box with hinged lid. The box is just about the size of a dishpan. And the opened lid makes the perfect slant to use as a drain board. She use a hole punch & mallet to punch holes at the bottom of lid for drainage. And when the dishes are dried, and the pan as well, just stow the dishes in the box and close it!​

Love this idea! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter