*** Official CHRISTMAS WEEK planning thread***

figmentswife

One little spark will light your fancy
Merry Christmas... Let's plan Christmas week Disney trips together.

We have never been for Christmas before. I know it is going to be SUPER busy and crowded, but we will be AT DISNEY.

Please join in the fun of planning our touring strategies for this busy but wonderful time

Join our Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/167961360039324/

I will start a list

figmentswife - Swan 12/21-12/26.
cedgar737 - 12/21 - 12/31
wdwmomof3 - 12/21 - 12/27
Photo 101
pigletto
budcollector 12/21 - 12/27

I am so glad that you are starting this thread! My family will be at Disney 12/21 - 12/31. I had everything planned out using Touring Plans. Then, I realized that I could check the best park days on easywdw.com . Now, I am totally confused on what parks to go to on what days because they are totally opposite of each other. The Christmas crowds have me concerned. Does anyone have ideas on which program to use to plan the parks?

I usually feel very confident planning Disney but Christmas seems to need a new game plan!

I am so glad that you are starting this thread! My family will be at Disney 12/21 - 12/31. I had everything planned out using Touring Plans. Then, I realized that I could check the best park days on easywdw.com . Now, I am totally confused on what parks to go to on what days because they are totally opposite of each other. The Christmas crowds have me concerned. Does anyone have ideas on which program to use to plan the parks?

I usually feel very confident planning Disney but Christmas seems to need a new game plan!

I have used both TP and easy, and found easy to be more accurate for best parks. So we are going to stick with easy for our June trip and see how it goes. (level 8 crowds) As for the planning days - best thing I can come up with so far is doing rope drop each day then leaving by lunch then maybe heading back after parades.....but I don't know.

Hopefully others, who have done Christmas before will chime in and help.

We have been for Christmas week and had a great time! Expectations are very important! We had been to Disney several times before this trip so it was not important to hit every must do in each park although it worked out we rode everything we wanted. Our longest wait time was 30 minutes. Our trip was the 24th-31st. Here are my tips:

1. The park hours will change as the dates get closer, MK opened at 8 for general public and had morning EMH everyday the week we were there. You must be at the park 30 min before opening and have a good touring plan. Know what rides generate the longest waits and gets those over first and then move on to others. By lunchtime each day it felt like a tidal wave of humanity would overcome the park, you know it will be busy, you know crowd levels are a 10 but you really have no idea just how many people that equals until you see it. Seriously, a tidal wave of people constantly streaming into the parks. If you are there before RD you will have done everything you must do and some of what you want to do and can leave as the crowd becomes oppressive. We went back to the resort to have lunch and swim or had lunch at a resort we wanted to see the decorations.

2. We really enjoyed having a TS dinner early each night. After an early start each morning and an afternoon of swimming or sightseeing we would have dinner around 5:30 and then hit a park to check out either Osborne lights, the santas at WS or Christmas vibe at MK. It was too busy at night to try for many rides but catching shows or taking in all the lights was great. You must see Osborne lights more than once.

3. Book a Candlelight Procession dinner package on Christmas Eve. We did the one with lunch, had a late lunch at Rose and Crown, saw the first CP and spent the rest of the evening seeing the santas and sampling traditional Christmas items from the little booths set up at each country. A wonderful Christmas Eve.

4. Christmas morning we were at the MK 30 min before RD (so 6:30) and did all our favorite rides first, saw the first castle show and then staked out a parade spot for the first parade. The first parade was around noon. We got a spot in front of the Diamond horseshoe which was near the bathrooms in FL. We got the spot about an hour early, went and got take out food on trays from Diamond horseshoe and had a picnic lunch to pass the time. We saw the parade and basically followed the parade out of the park. We stayed at CR so walked to the resort and spent Christmas afternoon at the pool. We made dinner ressies at WCC and enjoyed the decor of the WL for Christmas dinner. What a perfect Christmas Day! That was several years ago and each Christmas morning one of my girls will say "remember being in the MK to see the Christmas parade on Christmas morning?" Great memories

5. See the holiday Illuminations and Wishes, beautiful.

6. Go the GF to see gingerbread house and buy gingerbread treats. They had people selling roasted chestnuts also that were delicious

My bottom line, it is absolutely insanely crowded on a scale you must see to truly believe. If you plan well, have the right expectations and bring a sense of Christmas wonder it will be a Christmas you will not forget or regret. We have decided it was so wonderful we are going to do it again in 2014. party:

We have been for Christmas week and had a great time! Expectations are very important! We had been to Disney several times before this trip so it was not important to hit every must do in each park although it worked out we rode everything we wanted. Our longest wait time was 30 minutes. Our trip was the 24th-31st. Here are my tips:

1. The park hours will change as the dates get closer, MK opened at 8 for general public and had morning EMH everyday the week we were there. You must be at the park 30 min before opening and have a good touring plan. Know what rides generate the longest waits and gets those over first and then move on to others. By lunchtime each day it felt like a tidal wave of humanity would overcome the park, you know it will be busy, you know crowd levels are a 10 but you really have no idea just how many people that equals until you see it. Seriously, a tidal wave of people constantly streaming into the parks. If you are there before RD you will have done everything you must do and some of what you want to do and can leave as the crowd becomes oppressive. We went back to the resort to have lunch and swim or had lunch at a resort we wanted to see the decorations.

2. We really enjoyed having a TS dinner early each night. After an early start each morning and an afternoon of swimming or sightseeing we would have dinner around 5:30 and then hit a park to check out either Osborne lights, the santas at WS or Christmas vibe at MK. It was too busy at night to try for many rides but catching shows or taking in all the lights was great. You must see Osborne lights more than once.

3. Book a Candlelight Procession dinner package on Christmas Eve. We did the one with lunch, had a late lunch at Rose and Crown, saw the first CP and spent the rest of the evening seeing the santas and sampling traditional Christmas items from the little booths set up at each country. A wonderful Christmas Eve.

4. Christmas morning we were at the MK 30 min before RD (so 6:30) and did all our favorite rides first, saw the first castle show and then staked out a parade spot for the first parade. The first parade was around noon. We got a spot in front of the Diamond horseshoe which was near the bathrooms in FL. We got the spot about an hour early, went and got take out food on trays from Diamond horseshoe and had a picnic lunch to pass the time. We saw the parade and basically followed the parade out of the park. We stayed at CR so walked to the resort and spent Christmas afternoon at the pool. We made dinner ressies at WCC and enjoyed the decor of the WL for Christmas dinner. What a perfect Christmas Day! That was several years ago and each Christmas morning one of my girls will say "remember being in the MK to see the Christmas parade on Christmas morning?" Great memories

5. See the holiday Illuminations and Wishes, beautiful.

6. Go the GF to see gingerbread house and buy gingerbread treats. They had people selling roasted chestnuts also that were delicious

My bottom line, it is absolutely insanely crowded on a scale you must see to truly believe. If you plan well, have the right expectations and bring a sense of Christmas wonder it will be a Christmas you will not forget or regret. We have decided it was so wonderful we are going to do it again in 2014. party:

Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH for your input. I have checked last years park hours info and I am watching easywdw for info. We will do best park each day and Rope Drop. I do have a couple of questions.

I am expecting the tidal wave, so that is not a shocker, however, should we try to leave by about 11:30am? To beat them or just suck it up?

We are not typically TS people, because we like to spend time riding and doing things in the parks, but I am considering a TS but I was thinking ON Christmas day, Sounds like you think I should really make it for Christmas Eve?

Where is the CP? I know it's IN Epcot, but where in Epcot? (I will start looking into this also)

We will probably do MK first thing in the morning on Christmas Day, then hope over to AK (best park) we are also not big fans of hopping around to resorts. Seen most of them, and just don't care. Maybe we will feel differently at Christmas.

And I do WANT to go see the decorations at GF and the gingerbread house, however, I can't eat any.....have to look into Gluten free snacks at GF.

Again, thank you for your insight. Please stay around and help answer questions we all my have.

Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH for your input. I have checked last years park hours info and I am watching easywdw for info. We will do best park each day and Rope Drop. I do have a couple of questions.

I am expecting the tidal wave, so that is not a shocker, however, should we try to leave by about 11:30am? To beat them or just suck it up?

We are not typically TS people, because we like to spend time riding and doing things in the parks, but I am considering a TS but I was thinking ON Christmas day, Sounds like you think I should really make it for Christmas Eve?

Where is the CP? I know it's IN Epcot, but where in Epcot? (I will start looking into this also)

We will probably do MK first thing in the morning on Christmas Day, then hope over to AK (best park) we are also not big fans of hopping around to resorts. Seen most of them, and just don't care. Maybe we will feel differently at Christmas.

And I do WANT to go see the decorations at GF and the gingerbread house, however, I can't eat any.....have to look into Gluten free snacks at GF.

Again, thank you for your insight. Please stay around and help answer questions we all my have.

I would plan on leaving the parks by noon. If you are staying on property that means you have been in the park since either 8 (or 7 for MK) and for us the crowds became to oppressive to enjoy much by that time. We would not normally tour other resorts but found it fun to see a few that were near whichever park we were leaving since the level of Christmas decor was over the top. The CP is held at the stage in WS and the dinner package includes your dinner AND admission to CP without waiting in the line and hoping to get a spot. (much like fantasmic package works). The package only is offered with TS choices. We liked the TS dinner each night because we had been fighting crowds all day and did not want to line up or stand in a huge crowd for dinner. It was a relaxing change of pace from the day to sit and have dinner served. WCC was great atmosphere for Christmas dinner. I have a DD who is now GF but was not at the time of our Christmas trip. I have been so impressed with the variety of GF items at WDW so I'm sure you will find some treats. We used Tour Guide Mike for planning on that trip and was very pleased with the advice given. You sound like you have the right mind set for the trip, know its going to be busy, have a plan but be ready to alter as the situation dictates and focus on the special Christmas events and aspects that you cannot have going at another time of year.

I would plan on leaving the parks by noon. If you are staying on property that means you have been in the park since either 8 (or 7 for MK) and for us the crowds became to oppressive to enjoy much by that time. We would not normally tour other resorts but found it fun to see a few that were near whichever park we were leaving since the level of Christmas decor was over the top. The CP is held at the stage in WS and the dinner package includes your dinner AND admission to CP without waiting in the line and hoping to get a spot. (much like fantasmic package works). The package only is offered with TS choices. We liked the TS dinner each night because we had been fighting crowds all day and did not want to line up or stand in a huge crowd for dinner. It was a relaxing change of pace from the day to sit and have dinner served. WCC was great atmosphere for Christmas dinner. I have a DD who is now GF but was not at the time of our Christmas trip. I have been so impressed with the variety of GF items at WDW so I'm sure you will find some treats. We used Tour Guide Mike for planning on that trip and was very pleased with the advice given. You sound like you have the right mind set for the trip, know its going to be busy, have a plan but be ready to alter as the situation dictates and focus on the special Christmas events and aspects that you cannot have going at another time of year.

Awesome. I will start looking at places to eat with the CP package on Christmas Eve and be ready at 6am on my 180 mark! I am not worried about eating, we have done Disney since I went GF and Disney is AMAZING!!! Just have to look into the packages. And it's a good thing we have been before and will have 2 other trips under our belt before Christmas....I can't even imagine what a newbie would think about Disney if their first trip were during Christmas.

Keep the tips coming, as you think of things.

Count me in!! :dance3: We will be there Dec 21-27th staying at Port Orleans Riverside, and with free dining!! :cool1: This is our very first Christmas trip to Disney and our first time being away for the holidays on Christmas Day. I'm getting excited!!

I'm also thinking about booking a CP package but I'm not sure I want to use two dining credits for it. I'm on the fence with it.

Hi everyone!

We will be there during Christmas too.

We went last year but checked out on Sun. the 23rd. That week leading up to it was very slow and managable. However, Sat 22nd was absolutely miserable. Soo many people. And we are used to crowds at disney as we usually go Memorial weekend or in july/aug.

I am not sure of our exact dates yet. But will for sure be there at least Dec 30-jan 3rd. Our DD finishes the College program that week and we are going down to bring her home.
Last year we were able to get the free dining! This year I seriously doubt we get in on it but at least there is a slight chance DD could get us a discount on our room.

So now my question is: How is the week after Christmas. Like about the 27th-3rd?? That is our tenative dates.
Thanks.

Hi everyone!

So now my question is: How is the week after Christmas. Like about the 27th-3rd?? That is our tenative dates.
Thanks.

It seemed to me the crowds really got impressive around the 27th/28th. We guessed it was related to the people who are coming to WDW for NYE but also all the extra visitors just coming for day trips because of the 3 college football bowl games in the general area after Christmas. We arrived on the 24th but did not really mind the crowds until around the 28th. But, even with that said, we had a great trip. Expectations and planning is the key! We came home on the 31st so I can't comment from personal experience. The family we traveled with stayed until the 2nd. They camped out at HS for NYE and said the parks were very manageable on NYD from rope drop until mid afternoon. It seems most people were sleeping in from the night before!

We'll be leaving on the 23rd. Does that count? I think I'm just eager to be in another planning group. Feel free to tell me no:rotfl:

Hi everyone!

We will be there during Christmas too.

We went last year but checked out on Sun. the 23rd. That week leading up to it was very slow and managable. However, Sat 22nd was absolutely miserable. Soo many people. And we are used to crowds at disney as we usually go Memorial weekend or in july/aug.

I am not sure of our exact dates yet. But will for sure be there at least Dec 30-jan 3rd. Our DD finishes the College program that week and we are going down to bring her home.
Last year we were able to get the free dining! This year I seriously doubt we get in on it but at least there is a slight chance DD could get us a discount on our room.

Thanks.

I have heard its insane busy but I have never been. I have heard the same thing about the week of Christmas so we will see. Just go knowing that it will be busy and keep your expectations of seeing everything low so that you will be thrilled with what you do get to see and do.

We'll be leaving on the 23rd. Does that count? I think I'm just eager to be in another planning group. Feel free to tell me no:rotfl:

:welcome: :wave2: We are happy to have you here!!!! We will be there a couple of your dates too!!

Ok Thanks everyone. This will be our 3rd trip this year so no need to do everything like we usually do. lol So saying that, I guess it doesn't matter how busy it is as long as I can move about. :) Now to set my dates. If it was up to me, I would go for the full 2 weeks, but my DS is soo tired of disney. :confused3 I am sure he would not be thrilled with spending his entire 2week break there. We do have an 18hr drive so that takes away a few days. BUT we do all have AP's so why NOT go for the full 2 weeks! :rotfl:
If only we didn't have to eat! haha!

Ok Thanks everyone. This will be our 3rd trip this year so no need to do everything like we usually do. lol So saying that, I guess it doesn't matter how busy it is as long as I can move about. :) Now to set my dates. If it was up to me, I would go for the full 2 weeks, but my DS is soo tired of disney. :confused3 I am sure he would not be thrilled with spending his entire 2week break there. We do have an 18hr drive so that takes away a few days. BUT we do all have AP's so why NOT go for the full 2 weeks! :rotfl:
If only we didn't have to eat! haha!

It will be my 3rd trip this year also....DD and I are going on a mother/daughter trip in 23 days, then DH, DD & I are going in September and again for Christmas. Just decided the Christmas dates last week.

I am with you, no need to stress because we will get so much done before.

It will be my 3rd trip this year also....DD and I are going on a mother/daughter trip in 23 days, then DH, DD & I are going in September and again for Christmas. Just decided the Christmas dates last week.

I am with you, no need to stress because we will get so much done before.

My thoughts exactly. The beginning of my week should be moderate and when it gets crazy at the end..oh well. We have gone twice a year for a few years and this trip will be an entirely new experience for us. We'll rope drop for rides and get creative and see all the other things Disney has to offer when it's packed.:goodvibes
My expectations are exactly where they need to be to enjoy it. We are going the last week of August so it's only 3 months between trips. And this Christmas trip is a SURPRISE for my awesome kiddos:goodvibes
We've said for years we don't want more stuff and would love a big trip as their gift. This year it's coming true!
We're coming back the 23rd because we have a lot of extended family that we love to spend the holidays with. But this is the big gift.
So far the plan for the reveal is to get ornaments from Downtown Disney while I am there in August. I get the kids their own ornament every year to put on the tree the night we decorate. These ornaments however will be the balls with Mickey Ears. I am going to have them painted with "Surprise Christmas Trip! 12/14/13 - 12/23/13."
I'll be taking pictures the whole time we are decorating the tree so it won't seem weird to them if I film them opening their new ornament.
We'll decorate the tree and do the reveal the weekend before we go. This is so they have time to adjust, tell their friends and tie up any loose ends.
I am SO excited for this one!

ETA) Sorry.. the details.. 12/14/13- 12/23/13 in a studio at Wilderness Lodge. We check out the 21st and are hoping to spend a night and two days at Universal.

My thoughts exactly. The beginning of my week should be moderate and when it gets crazy at the end..oh well. We have gone twice a year for a few years and this trip will be an entirely new experience for us. We'll rope drop for rides and get creative and see all the other things Disney has to offer when it's packed.:goodvibes
My expectations are exactly where they need to be to enjoy it. We are going the last week of August so it's only 3 months between trips. And this Christmas trip is a SURPRISE for my awesome kiddos:goodvibes
We've said for years we don't want more stuff and would love a big trip as their gift. This year it's coming true!
We're coming back the 23rd because we have a lot of extended family that we love to spend the holidays with. But this is the big gift.
So far the plan for the reveal is to get ornaments from Downtown Disney while I am there in August. I get the kids their own ornament every year to put on the tree the night we decorate. These ornaments however will be the balls with Mickey Ears. I am going to have them painted with "Surprise Christmas Trip! 12/14/12 - 12/23/12."
I'll be taking pictures the whole time we are decorating the tree so it won't seem weird to them if I film them opening their new ornament.
We'll decorate the tree and do the reveal the weekend before we go. This is so they have time to adjust, tell their friends and tie up any loose ends.
I am SO excited for this one!

AWESOME surprise. I asked my family how they felt about us missing Christmas before deciding to go. Biggest was my son. He doesn't go to Disney with us anymore...he says he is to old:eek: So he was the first person we asked. He BEGGED us to go. My parents said they would miss us, but have a great time. I wish I could keep a secret!!!! The June mother/Daughter trip WAS going to be a secret, but DH wanted to be the one to tell her he was sending us.

i'll be there for Christmas Week, i'm going back down Dec 21-27, this will be my fourth trip to Disney for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter