Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Prolly should try to squeeze in a long run here pretty soon.

How's everyone else's training going?
Its going...

I need to get some longer runs in as well. I have my Dopey simulation scheduled for Dec. 14th-17th. I have been great getting runs in during the week its just my weekends have been all over the place. Weather is all over the place too. One day its 25 the next its 55.

Rolling along on plan. Just had a 6 day sabbatical from running to attend SiLs wedding in Chicago over Thanksgiving, but that was built into the plan. Back on the horse with 44 miles with a 16 mile long run this week. I'm at that point when Marathon/Dopey training starts to wear on me and feel like a second job. Ready for Marathon Weekend to be here!

Training is going really well. I had a half marathon race this past weekend and now back to full on Dopey training. This week is my longest of the training cycle at 56 miles, then a lighter week, then back up to 46 miles, then two weeks of taper, and then Dopey!

ITBS is a chronic battle for me due to scoliosis (the curve in my spine creates a leg length/hip height imbalance.) IME there isn't a lot you can do with stretching: the IT band itself is not stretchable, but if you have tightness in other places your ITB may be getting overworked trying to make up for that. I find regular yoga practice to hit all the major and minor muscles groups to be really helpful. Also...

I can't agree more! Once you have that inflammation the only thing that will make it go away is rest. Really, any activity that doesn't cause pain is fine; you just don't want to continue aggravating that spot where the IT band rubs. An ITB strap may also be helpful in warding it off when you do run again - I've not found that it fixes anything, but it does work well preventatively for me.
I have run just once in last two weeks. Hoping it has been enough rest for the IT Band. Going to try a short run on treadmill tomorrow morning. Wish me luck on no pain!

I am doing Dopey in response to having knee surgery two years ago. All along I have been prepared for my knee to not allow me to do the races. Never expected another issue to flare up.

If I do have pain tomorrow my old physical therapist agreed I could work with him leading up to Dopey.

Can anyone make any expo recommendations/advice? We're planning on hitting the expo when it opens on Wednesday and I'm wondering how early we should plan to arrive. I really want a Dopey jacket and am fully prepared to stand in line outside for the doors to open. Is this even necessary? If so, how early should we arrive/plan to wait? Though I've done marathon weekend this is my first Dopey, so this is the first time we've wanted to hit the expo madness when it opens.

I second the whole “it’s starting to feel like a second job” part of training. My family is starting to look at me funny when I say “gotta go on a long run. See you in three hours!” I just keep telling myself that if I can just get through these next three weeks, then I can start to taper!

Can anyone make any expo recommendations/advice? We're planning on hitting the expo when it opens on Wednesday and I'm wondering how early we should plan to arrive. I really want a Dopey jacket and am fully prepared to stand in line outside for the doors to open. Is this even necessary? If so, how early should we arrive/plan to wait? Though I've done marathon weekend this is my first Dopey, so this is the first time we've wanted to hit the expo madness when it opens.
So in my experience expo days at WDW usually form a line prior to expo opening. This is especially true now that they have the VIP Race Retreat that people go to prior to the expo. @Ariel484 posted pictures of last year's line around noon I believe. Link to Pictures. Not sure how fast the Dopey jackets might sell out.

Not sure how it will be this year but I was able to get a Dopey jacket no problem on Wednesday this past year. It’s likely things might be more crazy with the anniversaries though.

So in my experience expo days at WDW usually form a line prior to expo opening. This is especially true now that they have the VIP Race Retreat that people go to prior to the expo. @Ariel484 posted pictures of last year's line around noon I believe. Link to Pictures. Not sure how fast the Dopey jackets might sell out.
I'm going back and reading the thread...totally forgot about all of the weather shenanigans somehow. :confused3 What a crazy weekend that was!

I'm going back and reading the thread...totally forgot about all of the weather shenanigans somehow. :confused3 What a crazy weekend that was!
I think I flew in on Friday last year and I remember being concerned after seeing all the line pics but it wasn't too bad then. This year we'll have to go to the expo on Weds so I am expected it to be a harder experience. Apart from the storms Sat morning I don't remember the weather being that bad.

I think I flew in on Friday last year and I remember being concerned after seeing all the line pics but it wasn't too bad then. This year we'll have to go to the expo on Weds so I am expected it to be a harder experience. Apart from the storms Sat morning I don't remember the weather being that bad.
Wednesday at the expo isn't bad...IF you go at the right time. I went there twice that day, once just after opening (see above picture) and again at like 5PM or something. The 5PM visit was way more pleasant, zero lines anyway.

Training is going pretty well. I hit a really down time after our local marathon the first weekend in November so been hard to get myself motivated again. We did a short mini-Dopey simulation this past weekend 3,5,8,12. Went better than I expected honestly. We'll do one more similar but longer miles in a couple of weeks and then do a longer than normal taper due to traveling over Christmas. I probably won't be in peak shape, but should be fine to manage the races Disney style (aka go slow, take lots of pictures, drink beer).

Happy with where I'm at for the moment in training. I've got 67.4 miles (8:56 hrs) of training on tap this week.

-An intense 5k workout (6:08 min/mile) tonight (800, 800, 1600, 1600, 800, 800) which will bring me very close to my current mile PR (6:01),
-then easy 7 (60 min),
-then a 14 mile Progression (next to 3k paced runs these are my worst nemesis in training as they go from easy to ending at 10k pace building by 10 sec every mile),
-then easy 7 (60 min),
-then moderate 11 (90 min),
-and Sunday is a hybrid long run with 14 miles @ long run (MP + 37 sec) + 4 miles @ MP (2hrs 14 min in total).

This week and the week of 12/11 will tell me where I'm at in preparation for Dopey.

Wednesday at the expo isn't bad...IF you go at the right time. I went there twice that day, once just after opening (see above picture) and again at like 5PM or something. The 5PM visit was way more pleasant, zero lines anyway.

I hope that's the case this year because I don't think I can get there until late afternoon or early evening. I just hope my flights are on time and we don't have weather delays - kind of freaking out about that.

Training is going well now that my shin has healed. Going to hit it hard the next three weeks. I'm starting to feel the cumulative fatigue! I'm a bit worried about my Dopey partner - she had an unexpected surgery in October and is just now getting back to running, but she was in marathon shape in mid October (ran Detroit), so hopefully she can get back to full strength soon.

Nov has been a difficult month for me training wise. Had a sore tendon that caused me to miss 5 days and a wipe-out that turned a 10 mile tempo into a 5 miler and miss another couple of days. I am taking an extra day or two off each week now as well just to not over-train and possibly injure myself more.

I did a 16 miler last weekend that felt really good, and have an 18 miler and a probably 20 miler to celebrate the end of training(and start the taper) the day I board the Carnival Sunshine.

my last sim was hot as blazes.

This will be my first dopey, coming from up north and I fear that this will be the weather on race day, and actually seeing what frozen things do in summer. The mini sims have been going well just wish I could sim the weather too. I don't think I will luck out with the talked about 2010 weather that I am currently training in.

Side note I watched someones go pro video of last years marathon while treadmilling it the other day and I have to say everyones "Sunday Morning thoughts" are spot on. Looking forward to experiencing it for myself.

This will be my first dopey, coming from up north and I fear that this will be the weather on race day, and actually seeing what frozen things do in summer. The mini sims have been going well just wish I could sim the weather too. I don't think I will luck out with the talked about 2010 weather that I am currently training in.

Side note I watched someones go pro video of last years marathon while treadmilling it the other day and I have to say everyones "Sunday Morning thoughts" are spot on. Looking forward to experiencing it for myself.
I think training for the weather changes is hard. I do some treadmill running because it's usually pretty warm in the gym and that's a better sim than running outside now. In years past I've also played around with overdressing for the weather to try and simulate the heat. I think the big thing is to slow down if it's really warm and to make sure that you are hydrating.

Was it one of RezRuns go pro videos. His race videos are awesome as are his training videos. They really help to pass the time on the treadmill.

Training - Even though I am not running the Dopey (just the half and full), I have been doing Dopey simulations every other week. This week - will be 3, 5, 14, 20 so I am pretty much there. Just need to maintain fitness and avoid injuries for the next 5 weeks.

Was it one of RezRuns go pro videos. His race videos are awesome as are his training videos. They really help to pass the time on the treadmill.

No it wasn't, but I will have to check those ones out, thanks. The current ice storm we are having has definitely brought the game indoors and I really like watching actual race footage while on the treadmill. The sudo virtual reality seems to make the long indoor runs alot more tolerable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter