Official 'how to get from point A to point B while at WDW' thread.

Looking for current info- are the busses from AK to HS fairly frequent? I've seen the directions on the app say a bus arrives every 20 minutes but I've seen some real-world comments that it's less frequent than that.

Trying to decide whether to take a bus from AK directly to HS or if it's quicker to take bus from AK to Swolphin and then walk/ boat over to HS. Roughly how long am I realistically looking at for this? Trying to time a nap for DS2 (it'd be easier to schedule a NASA launch o_O).

Looking for current info- are the busses from AK to HS fairly frequent? I've seen the directions on the app say a bus arrives every 20 minutes but I've seen some real-world comments that it's less frequent than that.

Trying to decide whether to take a bus from AK directly to HS or if it's quicker to take bus from AK to Swolphin and then walk/ boat over to HS. Roughly how long am I realistically looking at for this? Trying to time a nap for DS2 (it'd be easier to schedule a NASA launch o_O).
Rejecting the convenient, direct transportation option rarely pays off.

It’s possible to overthink these things- I’ve been guilty of this myself. Just take the bus :)

Rejecting the convenient, direct transportation option rarely pays off.

It’s possible to overthink these things- I’ve been guilty of this myself. Just take the bus :)

That's been my experience as well. I can't imagine it would save time to be waiting for a boat at the Swolphin, and as much as I don't mind the walk over I'd rather not if I can avoid it. I'm not in a real hurry to get to HS (no ADR or FP to rush over for but I'd like to make it in time to not have to jog to Racing Academy for the 2 PM show if I can avoid it.

Am I looking at 45 minutes for the bus from park to park (assuming I have to wait the full time for a bus to pull up at AK)? THIS is one reason why I don't usually park hop :crazy2:

While I think @msb578 is 100% correct, you mention trying to allow your son to nap. If he naps well in his stroller, taking the bus to Swolphin then a leisurely stroll to DHS could be a good option for you. Not sure if you're looking for more direct transportation from AK to DHS or, a time for your son to nap in a quieter location? The walk along the water always looks so peaceful!

While I think @msb578 is 100% correct, you mention trying to allow your son to nap. If he naps well in his stroller, taking the bus to Swolphin then a leisurely stroll to DHS could be a good option for you. Not sure if you're looking for more direct transportation from AK to DHS or, a time for your son to nap in a quieter location? The walk along the water always looks so peaceful!

It's a really nice walk! When we stay at BCV we usually make the walk if the weather and our tired legs are cooperating.

Time is more important than location, but I think I've solved my dilemma. If we just stay later at AK and leave at around 2 after DS's nap then we can have lunch, maybe stop for a drink and see some more animal viewing areas at a leisurely pace while DS has a stroller nap. If we're at the AK bus stop around 2 (roughly when DS 2 would be done napping), we *should* be to HS by 3 unless something is really off. I was originally thinking rushing out of AK by around 11:30 was going to work but really, it isn't. Note- I should not be allowed to make plans before coffee and on almost no sleep.

We have a FP for Splash Mountain 1:45pm to 2:45pm. Then we have a reservation for dinner at Ohana for 3:30pm

What is the fastest way to get to Ohana from Magic Kingdom?

We have a FP for Splash Mountain 1:45pm to 2:45pm. Then we have a reservation for dinner at Ohana for 3:30pm

I would guess that monorail might be slightly faster than a boat but they could be close. The monorail runs more frequently. Even though you would get off on the 3rd stop of the monorail, you are much closer to the 'Ohana check-in area than you are if you arrive by boat.

I would guess that monorail might be slightly faster than a boat but they could be close. The monorail runs more frequently. Even though you would get off on the 3rd stop of the monorail, you are much closer to the 'Ohana check-in area than you are if you arrive by boat.
All true. The only thing I’ll add is the boat goes to the GF first before going on to the Poly (unless things have changed).

All true. The only thing I’ll add is the boat goes to the GF first before going on to the Poly (unless things have changed).

Do you think I will make my reservation time? We can definitely uber if it would be faster

Do you think I will make my reservation time? We can definitely uber if it would be faster
If you go towards the beginning of your FP time you'll make it for sure. The later in your FP you arrive, the more you'll be pushing it. Splash is also a long ride (13 mins?) so this needs to be used in your equation too.

I've never had any problems with a reservation if we've arrived a few minutes late. I try to do this but sometimes it just happens. Personally I'd much rather save the money of an Uber for such a short ride when you should have ample time to arrive. Enjoy 'Ohana! It's one of my very favourites!!

If you get to Splash Mt FP line by 1:40 you'll be fine. You are usually allowed to use your FP 5 mins prior to official start time. So, if you get in line at 1:40, you should be on the ride by 1:50 and off by 2:05. Plenty of time to get to 'Ohana. If you see the boat is just arriving at the GF/Polynesian dock, then fine, use the boat. Otherwise, I would go with the monorail. And I would use the Express line. It will drop you at the TTC and you can then walk over to the Polynesiab...about a 10 min walk.
I wouldn't try to make the ADR if you don't get to the FP line any later than 2:15.

I think this is the right place to ask. I'm arriving at MCO at 5:15pm on a thursday in July. I'm staying at Bay Lake but I need to make dinner reservations at 7:15pm at Kona Cafe. Is two hours enough time to get from the airport to BLT then monorail over to the Poly? I just need to drop my carryon off at bell services and then I can head right back out the door. I've never taken the bus and I'm trying not to rent a car like I usually do. Thanks!

I think this is the right place to ask. I'm arriving at MCO at 5:15pm on a thursday in July. I'm staying at Bay Lake but I need to make dinner reservations at 7:15pm at Kona Cafe. Is two hours enough time to get from the airport to BLT then monorail over to the Poly? I just need to drop my carryon off at bell services and then I can head right back out the door. I've never taken the bus and I'm trying not to rent a car like I usually do. Thanks!
If it’s just your carryon, I’d be tempted to take it with me and take DME from MCO directly to the Poly if possible. I will be interested to see what others recommend.

If it’s just your carryon, I’d be tempted to take it with me and take DME from MCO directly to the Poly if possible. I will be interested to see what others recommend.
If the two resorts are on the same route, then that's what I would do. But you won't know that, for sure, until you get to the airport. You should be able to make it from BLT to the Polynesian for 7:15, but it might be a bit after 7:15. It seldom takes me longer than 90 mins to get from gate to resort, but if I 'have' to be somewhere, that's when it will take longer!!!

I’ve not read through this thread:rolleyes1

I’m in the U.K. and it’s late (my excuse and I’m sticking with it!)

My query is-
After an evening at a hard ticket event or emh at mk;
Is the only transportation option to the ttc the ferry?
Is there a bus option?

I really can’t travel on the ferry for all the bugs (big & small!):stitch2:

After the Halloween Party (a hard ticket event), people were still able to take the monorail to the TTC. (We were on it, but we were heading to one of the resorts, and it stopped at the TTC on the way.) Buses were also still operating. So, you should be able to get to the TTC without the ferry.

Side Note:
Has anyone posted a link to this page, yet? (Interactive Disney World Transportation Map)
It shows the various ways to get from resorts to parks, parks to parks, etc.

Last edited:
We have never used the buses before and are planning on doing the Disney After Hours at MK and apparently the only transportation running will be the buses, except for the ferry to get you to the TTC. We are staying at the GF, I thought about just driving there, but figured that would probably take a lot longer than just taking the bus. Will there be a bus for the GF at MK and are the buses for the After Hours in the same place as they are after normal hours? I hope that made sense lol.

We have never used the buses before and are planning on doing the Disney After Hours at MK and apparently the only transportation running will be the buses, except for the ferry to get you to the TTC. We are staying at the GF, I thought about just driving there, but figured that would probably take a lot longer than just taking the bus. Will there be a bus for the GF at MK and are the buses for the After Hours in the same place as they are after normal hours? I hope that made sense lol.
There will be some mode of transportation to GF. If both the Resort Monorail & watercraft are shut down, there will be a bus, and it will be somewhere in the usual bus area. All of the signs in the bus area are changeable. Transportation cast will change the sign to tell you which gate, or if they're being lazy, they'll have a cm in the area to direct you.

It's possible there will be one bus for all the monorail resorts, so with GF being the furthest circling in a clockwise direction, be prepared to stop at CR & Poly on the way home.

There will be some mode of transportation to GF. If both the Resort Monorail & watercraft are shut down, there will be a bus, and it will be somewhere in the usual bus area. All of the signs in the bus area are changeable. Transportation cast will change the sign to tell you which gate, or if they're being lazy, they'll have a cm in the area to direct you.

It's possible there will be one bus for all the monorail resorts, so with GF being the furthest circling in a clockwise direction, be prepared to stop at CR & Poly on the way home.

Thank you!

Hi guys, just a general question. I'm hoping to catch one last showing of Illuminations and then hop to MK for After Hours. 99.9% sure the only option is the monorail. Will it be slammed for awhile?

Hi guys, just a general question. I'm hoping to catch one last showing of Illuminations and then hop to MK for After Hours. 99.9% sure the only option is the monorail. Will it be slammed for awhile?
Are you asking about Sep 30th or another date? That will make all the difference.

On a ‘normal’ night, yes it will be busy but not impossible.

On Sept 30th all bets are off and I would anticipate near NYE level crowds so it will take longer to get everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter