• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

That is so sad. How horrible for his poor wife. Apparently she is in some of the FB groups because people are taking down information about it all.

For those who said my challenge may have been electrolyte imbalance, do you think it could have been drinking too much Powerade? I normally drink water but went with Powerade at each stop because it was so humid and I was sweating so much. I’m going to look into salt tablets too, my face and arms had salt all over them when I went to shower.

That is so sad. How horrible for his poor wife. Apparently she is in some of the FB groups because people are taking down information about it all.

For those who said my challenge may have been electrolyte imbalance, do you think it could have been drinking too much Powerade? I normally drink water but went with Powerade at each stop because it was so humid and I was sweating so much. I’m going to look into salt tablets too, my face and arms had salt all over them when I went to shower.
I'm not a coach or a doctor but in my experience, sometimes drinking TOO much can cause this. I was so thirsty on the run bc I was hot and it was humid but if I drink a lot at each stop I get over hydrated. I generally drink some and sometimes swish and spit (sorry for tmi). The Powerade they have on the course is usually different from the stuff in a bottle. I've heard it is more watered down. So the Powerade may not have had enough electrolytes in it for u. I believe there are other supplements too that might have more, like nunn tablets and perhaps u would need to bring your own hydration with something like that mixed in. Every runner is different. Definitely try it out in training. But also - keeping the core temps under control is key. (I drink Powerade slushies after summer runs!)

So very sad to hear about the runner. I've heard of this happening to other young people as well (not just runners) but it is heartbreaking no matter what.

I think you said you had chills which I would think points more to dehydration instead of over hydration. But overhydration is definitely a thing. You can take salt tabs or there are some flavored electrolyte tablets out there you can take if you think it continues to be an issue. Also maybe look into drink mixes like Nuun(somebody said that already) or Skratch as an alternative to Powerade/Gatorade. Hope you’re feeling all better. :)

The runner's family is in my prayers. Even if this could not have been prevented, I recommend everyone visit their doctor and get an annual physical. Always listen to your body and make sure to respect the miles and train accordingly.

I have the same problem with salty arms and legs after a race and severe cramping in my calves on long runs. I almost had to drop out of the Disney Marathon this year due to my calves seizing up. I tried multiple things and still had the same issue (saltier diet, salt tablets, etc). Nothing seemed to work until I found Tailwind. I mix that into my Gatorade or sports drink and that has made a tremendous difference. No more cramping at all. Whatever you decide to do, take a close look at how much electrolytes you are taking in and try to replace them as much as possible. You might even try a sweat test to further quantify it. Just measure your body weight without clothing before and after a run (towel off excess sweat before weighing). The sweat loss is equal to your the difference in weight before and after a run. Convert the pounds to ounces (multiply by 16). You also should add in the number of ounces of liquid consumed to that. Then divide that number by the time of your run (in hours) and you will get sweat loss in ounces per hour. This rate will vary by weather conditions outside so, over time you can determine how much you will lose based on the conditions outside and plan that for your races. My advice is to try multiple things (not on race day) and see what works best for you. Also visit a running store and ask them, most are very helpful.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! I'm going to stock up on products and give them a try over the next few weeks.

Anyone else already open and close their challenge medal too many times and the brackets broke?

If ya haven’t - be gentle.
You could try reaching out to rundisney for a replacement. My 2014 Tink medal broke (Tink spinner came out of the middle completely) and they replaced it. I might have still been there because I don't have two here but you could try. I can't remember if I had to send them mine or not.

You could try reaching out to rundisney for a replacement. My 2014 Tink medal broke (Tink spinner came out of the middle completely) and they replaced it. I might have still been there because I don't have two here but you could try. I can't remember if I had to send them mine or not.

If the Best Damn Race series of races where you pay $50-$60 for a half marathon sent everyone who ran the half a brand new medal because the feathers on the flamingo didn't spin correctly on some of the medals they gave out on race day then you should be able to get a replacement medal for a race that cost almost $200.Here's a picture of that medal to get an idea of the feathers of the flamingo,now I have two of these crazy looking medals!

orlando-half-medal-2016 (1).jpeg

If the Best Damn Race series of races where you pay $50-$60 for a half marathon sent everyone who ran the half a brand new medal because the feathers on the flamingo didn't spin correctly on some of the medals they gave out on race day then you should be able to get a replacement medal for a race that cost almost $200.Here's a picture of that medal to get an idea of the feathers of the flamingo,now I have two of these crazy looking medals!

View attachment 282013

I like the that medal.

Anyone else already open and close their challenge medal too many times and the brackets broke?

If ya haven’t - be gentle.

Just want to echo this, try asking for a replacement. At PHM weekend in 2015 my daughter wanted to wear my 10k medal while we were in EPCOT. During that time she went to use the bathroom, and hung it up. Only a few minutes after we both noticed she didn't have it and went back to look for it, and of course, it was already gone. She felt awful. I was not upset, but I felt bad she was upset, so for the heck of it, I emailed runDisney, and sure enough they sent me a second one.

Just want to echo this, try asking for a replacement. At PHM weekend in 2015 my daughter wanted to wear my 10k medal while we were in EPCOT. During that time she went to use the bathroom, and hung it up. Only a few minutes after we both noticed she didn't have it and went back to look for it, and of course, it was already gone. She felt awful. I was not upset, but I felt bad she was upset, so for the heck of it, I emailed runDisney, and sure enough they sent me a second one.

I've hung it there too and always worried I would do the same thing!

So first off - terrible to hear about the gentleman that passed away. Has to be so awful for the family. And also for the medical people and runners/spectators that saw what happened.

For the lighter side. Good race weekend. PR’d the 10k by a few seconds and managed to get all the photos. :) I was surprised to see that I was 3rd in my age group so that means the fast people don’t do Wine and a Dine. :D (Hit the post button earlyby accident.) Half went well too. Detailed my exciting morning already but made it to the start. Course was good. Liked running through Pandora still kind of in the dark. Got most the photos although there wasn’t much new or too exciting for those. Meet up was great, good to meet some new dis folks and visit with some ones I met before. thanks @Keels. Walked around the after party for a a bit but wasn’t into it. Tried to hit all the F&W booths on a Monday but couldn’t finish that race. If is was a marathon I think I would have been swept about mile 20. :) Would definitely do Wine and Dine weekend again.

Oh also think has had the best merch of any race I’ve been too.

Last edited:
So first off - terrible to hear about the gentleman that passed away. Has to be so awful for the family. And also for the medical people and runners/spectators that saw what happened.

For the lighter side. Good race weekend. PR’d the 10k by a few seconds and managed to get all the photos. :) I was surprised to see that I was 3rd in my age group so that means the fast people don’t do Wine and a Dine. :D (Hit the post button earlyby accident.) Half went well too. Detailed my exciting morning already but made it to the start. Course was good. Liked running through Pandora still kind of in the dark. Got most the photos although there wasn’t much new or too exciting for those. Meet up was great, good to meet some new dis folks and visit with some ones I met before. thanks @Keels. Walked around the after party for a a bit but wasn’t into it. Tried to hit all the F&W booths on a Monday but couldn’t finish that race. If is was a marathon I think I would have been swept about mile 20. :) Would definitely do Wine and Dine weekend again.

Oh also think has had the best merch of any race I’ve been too.

Woah, does that mean you'll be getting an award in the mail? That's super exciting! Congrats!
I am with you on the not being able to eat all the things I wanted to bandwagon. It's too hard to be hungry enough for all those booths (or maybe I didn't try hard enough.)

Woah, does that mean you'll be getting an award in the mail? That's super exciting! Congrats!
I am with you on the not being able to eat all the things I wanted to bandwagon. It's too hard to be hungry enough for all those booths (or maybe I didn't try hard enough.)

Thanks. I was very surprised to see it on the results. I don't really know if they send you anything. Maybe but honestly it would just go in a box with the medals so all good either way. :confused3

I tapped out after Germany I think. There are so many of them really close together over where you come into the world showcase - I think that was my downfall. I even threw in a Soarin fastpass to break up the eating and drinking but to no avail. I'm definitely willing to try again though. :) Just not on a Saturday- good lord!

Thanks. I was very surprised to see it on the results. I don't really know if they send you anything. Maybe but honestly it would just go in a box with the medals so all good either way. :confused3

I tapped out after Germany I think. There are so many of them really close together over where you come into the world showcase - I think that was my downfall. I even threw in a Soarin fastpass to break up the eating and drinking but to no avail. I'm definitely willing to try again though. :) Just not on a Saturday- good lord!
Congrats on the age group!!
Top 3 in age group get mailed a plaque, my brother has one from the 10k & half (top 5 though in the half) from last year. I think it took like 8 weeks to come in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter