Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

If I want to cheer on my friends while they run the 1/2, how can I go about doing that? Are there official cheering places? Any info would be helpful!

If I want to cheer on my friends while they run the 1/2, how can I go about doing that? Are there official cheering places? Any info would be helpful!

Until the start line/finish line are listed - we probably won't be able to guess the official cheering places.

Waiting for the Rivers of Light dining package like..
tumblr_o4n33sVt7P1s9a9yjo1_500.gif

Hi! Registered for the half and can't wait for the theme to be announced. My friend is doing the challenge so for the half we will be wine bottles :)

That's a fun costume! I haven't thought too much about costumes. Maybe a Chef Minnie one because I have a Sparkle Skirt that would work for it. I should probably start thinking about that!

We figured out our costumes for the races! For the 10K, I will be Winnie the Pooh and DH will be Christopher Robin. Easy stuff that we already have. I already have a yellow sparkle skirt, just need to buy a (cheap) red tank and use yellow fabric paint to write "Pooh" on it. Probably won't do ears, but maybe a yellow bow in my hair. DH is going basic with black running shoes, tall white socks, blue shorts and a pale yellow top. For the Half, DH will be Captain Hook and I will be Mr. Smee (I've always wanted to do this one). I found a blue and white striped Nike Dri-Fit tank on eBay (new!) and bought light blue lululemon running shorts (my favorite kind). Instead of a red beanie, I'm going to wear a red bow in my hair. DH will wear black shorts, then try to figure out a top. We'll be in WDW in less than 2 weeks, so he plans to pick up a hook in the parks.

I'm torn on my outfit for the Fall Feast 5k because all the pics online show xmas decorations from last year's race (and I LOVE Christmas) but "fall feast" sounds more Thanksgiving/Harvest to me. So I'm going to just wait for the medals to come out and throw something together based off that. Whether it's more food themed or specific holiday or specific character themed, etc.
Ugh, I just want to know already!

Bought my return flight as well today on Southwest. Managed to snag another $91 flight for the return leg so I am pretty happy with those flight prices! They are the cheapest I've ever found! I'll add early bird for my return flight, but am undecided about it for the trip down. I only did the return trip for Dark Side weekend and it worked well. I'll wait to decide though once I see my schedule closer to the date.

You may want to double check Southwest again during their current sale. I managed to find my flight down for only $79! You can apply the sale to previous purchases too (although the refund may be in the form of a credit).
Return flights aren't discounted as much over the weekend, so I'm using miles for my return flight. Still, at roughly $85 total ($79 + return trip fees), my roundtrip makes these my cheapest Disney flights yet!

Anyone have any thought on when the Kids 1 mile race may occur on Saturday? We registered my son but it may not make sense if it is in the middle of the day.

If you're flying Southwest, check your flights! One of my flights dropped from 120 to $79! I also saved 11 dollars on my return flight. That's 60 dollars worth of flight credit!!!

Hi everyone! I need help deciding whether to sign up for the W&D Challenge again. :worship:

I did Lumiere's Challenge last year (my first rD event, first half, second 10K). I feel like I should sign up again since registration for the Challenge is still available, but I'm freaking out about hotel options/prices. There doesn't seem to be any decently priced on-site resorts available, but the thought of staying off-site and having my husband drop me off for the races makes me worry that I'll get stuck in traffic/be late. Last year my sister did the Challenge with me, and we stayed at the Dolphin so we could split the costs & have expo/race transportation.

My W&D experience last year wasn't that great for a few reasons: 1) We were too scared about getting swept that we didn't stop for any character pics, and 2) We both ended up with a GI bug/virus after the half, so 3) We missed the after-party. I was also a bit "meh" about the course for the half (not getting to go through HS). After seeing the course map for this year's Dark Side half, I'm hopeful that the 2017 W&D half might be similar.

The reason I want to do the Challenge again is so I can have a re-match against last year. The only thing keeping me from signing up is the hotel. I'd love to stay at the Swan/Dolphin for the convenience of having race transportation, but the prices are a bit more than I can justify spending at the moment. Any chance that the prices will come down? I've also read DVC rental, but I've never done that before. We've stayed at the Wyndham at Disney Springs for two different trips (both for work), so that's the only point of reference I have for off-site.

OTOH, I could try to be a normal person (boo!) by signing up for a local-ish (1hr away) half marathon on the same weekend as W&D. I'm not exactly excited about the race theme and course, but it would be way cheaper. The thought of missing out on W&D is giving me serious FOMO.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

You may want to double check Southwest again during their current sale. I managed to find my flight down for only $79! You can apply the sale to previous purchases too (although the refund may be in the form of a credit).
Return flights aren't discounted as much over the weekend, so I'm using miles for my return flight. Still, at roughly $85 total ($79 + return trip fees), my roundtrip makes these my cheapest Disney flights yet!

Sadly Baltimore seems to be exempt from sales! LOL! Seriously though, I bought mine at steal (about $90 each way after taxes, even less after my credits) so I don't think I'll get any lower. But I am super happy that everyone is saving money! Because saving money is awesome! Although I always equate it to how I can spend it at Disney anyways... :rotfl2:

Hi everyone! I need help deciding whether to sign up for the W&D Challenge again. :worship:

I did Lumiere's Challenge last year (my first rD event, first half, second 10K). I feel like I should sign up again since registration for the Challenge is still available, but I'm freaking out about hotel options/prices. There doesn't seem to be any decently priced on-site resorts available, but the thought of staying off-site and having my husband drop me off for the races makes me worry that I'll get stuck in traffic/be late. Last year my sister did the Challenge with me, and we stayed at the Dolphin so we could split the costs & have expo/race transportation.

My W&D experience last year wasn't that great for a few reasons: 1) We were too scared about getting swept that we didn't stop for any character pics, and 2) We both ended up with a GI bug/virus after the half, so 3) We missed the after-party. I was also a bit "meh" about the course for the half (not getting to go through HS). After seeing the course map for this year's Dark Side half, I'm hopeful that the 2017 W&D half might be similar.

The reason I want to do the Challenge again is so I can have a re-match against last year. The only thing keeping me from signing up is the hotel. I'd love to stay at the Swan/Dolphin for the convenience of having race transportation, but the prices are a bit more than I can justify spending at the moment. Any chance that the prices will come down? I've also read DVC rental, but I've never done that before. We've stayed at the Wyndham at Disney Springs for two different trips (both for work), so that's the only point of reference I have for off-site.

OTOH, I could try to be a normal person (boo!) by signing up for a local-ish (1hr away) half marathon on the same weekend as W&D. I'm not exactly excited about the race theme and course, but it would be way cheaper. The thought of missing out on W&D is giving me serious FOMO.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

As it is Food & Wine Festival Time, the Swan & Dolphin don't really have too much in terms of discounts. I know usually the best way to get a rate through them are through some of their pre-paid offers on their website. It is still half the cost of Boardwalk/Beach Club - at least it was last year.

Thank you @Dis_Yoda!

Ugh, I'm such an indecisive person! I should just do the local Half instead, which is on sale today. Somehow my warped brain thinks that driving 5hrs, spending 2 nights for a hotel plus $340+ for the Challenge registration, and waking up 2 mornings in a row at 2:30am is the better option than driving 1hr for a much cheaper race, lol. :crazy2: Crazy, right?

To add to my nonsense, I've been toying with the idea of doing the marathon in January. The thought of training for 26.2 terrifies me, but I think it would be cool to do just once. If I sign up for the marathon, then I feel I absolutely should do the W&D Challenge as practice for the marathon course. Totally makes sense, right? :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter