OK Experts: What's the biggest Disney mistake you have made?

The first time that we went to Disney World, we stayed off property. Well, we got those little paper tickets instead of a KTTWC. I was what ridemax calls a "fastpass runner". I would take all of my family's tickets and go get fast passes while they rested or enjoyed another attraction. At least three times over the course of the trip, we found that some or all of our tickets would not scan (at the gate, for fastpasses, whatever). We had to have our tickets replaced several times. Eventually, CMs told us that sometimes credit cards and magnets can "wipe" the tickets. It took forever for me to finally figure out that the bag that I was keeping the tickets in had a very strong magnetic latch! Oops! I stopped putting the tickets in my bag after that :rotfl:

Staying at port orleans resort during cheerleading competitions.
First off they were outside cheering at like 7 in the morning. Second the food court was mobbed with screaming obnoxious kids and the lines to get food were ridiculous. They actually had cheer practice in the food court one day because it was raining outside, leaving no seating to actually "eat" food in the food court. The busses were the worst. Overcrowded with overly rowdy loud cheerleaders. Never again!

We took a trip a few years ago with my in-laws (probably 13 of them on their first trip), and my husband couldn't be there the first day, so it was up to me to put the plan into action. My husband had planned for us to go to MK for EMH, then to Epcot for something, and lunch somewhere else. I think my family thought I was a drill sergeant as the 16 of us plowed through the parks to get to our ADR in time. My DBIL still ribs me about it, but I got the job done!!

My biggest oops was listening to my DH! :rotfl: Despite my previous 15 trips and commando style planning, we got off track the very first day. I like to be at parks at opening to avoid long lines. DH derailed it first thing by wanting to have a sit-down breakfast. We ended up at MK at 11:00am! So there goes the "no lines". This threw off going back to the hotel around lunch to unpack to get back to MK early for MVMCP to start enjoying before our 7pm ADR at CRT. Barely made it to the ADR and by the time dinner was over, so was half of the party!! Kept going downhill when he wanted to throw next day plans out the window and go to outlets all day. Day 3 my little guy woke up sick so we hung out at the hotel most of the day until he got better. By day 4, we hadn't ridden but about 6 rides and I was just sick about it. I took over at that point, got everyone up for opening and had ridden most rides by lunch. DH was amazed at how much we got done :rolleyes1. We ran like crazy for the last three days and I still missed my favorite thing to do - Fantasmic. He agreed with me that next year, he'll go with my planning at the beginning of the trip and slow down for the second half to be sure we get to do everything we want...so my lesson learned was to not listen to DH if I want to see and ride everything!! :lmao:

Great thread. Our mistake (twice), taking little ones( under 6) to DHS after 6 pm. There isn't much to do for them at that time. Playhouse, Honey I shrunk playground all start to close by then.

Biggest mistake?....going anytime in August! You can practically swim through the air! :eek:

Mine is a bit embarassing. I don't embarass easily, so the fact that I am embarassed says something. Mine has to do with chafing. My biggest and only real mistake was allowing myself to chafe. I had never been to Florida, so I didn't expect to sweat in all the places that people tend to sweat in Florida. I was raw for our whole trip. I walked like I had ridden a horse. It was awful. I finally found some baby powder in one of the stores, but by then it was too far gone.

I guess I could say that I did have a bit of a second one, but it's not your average mistake. I injured both of my feet years ago, and though I took proper precautions in taking extra crocs and such, I was in so much pain. My parents like to run from place to place in Disney, and I would've rather chilled. I didn't want to miss out on the kids' reactions though, so we moved at a seriously fast pace. By the second day I truly needed a wheelchair, but my mom encouraged me to keep going. Thank goodness I had some painkillers for another medical issue I ended up not having problems with. By the end of the trip I had no ankles due to swelling, and had weird red spots all over my feet and lower legs. Turned out I was bleeding under the skin. Awesome. This May will be a much slower paced trip, as I have scheduled 10 days for chillin' through the parks. I will also listen to my body. If I need to rent an ECV (I think that's what they're called), I will.

Biggest mistake?....going anytime in August! You can practically swim through the air! :eek:

we have been the last half of August. it was hot, but I wil take the heat over the freezing cold this last dec.....anytime!!

Mine is a bit embarassing. I don't embarass easily, so the fact that I am embarassed says something. Mine has to do with chafing. My biggest and only real mistake was allowing myself to chafe. I had never been to Florida, so I didn't expect to sweat in all the places that people tend to sweat in Florida. I was raw for our whole trip. I walked like I had ridden a horse. It was awful. I finally found some baby powder in one of the stores, but by then it was too far gone.

much better than baby powder: corn starch. whenever I am invited to a baby shower, besides my gift, I wrap a couple boxes of Argo Corn Starch. it works much better on diaper rash than baby powder, or desitin, or anything. everyone looks at me like I'm nutz, but sometimes a Grandma does know best...;)

we have been the last half of August. it was hot, but I wil take the heat over the freezing cold this last dec.....anytime!!

much better than baby powder: corn starch. whenever I am invited to a baby shower, besides my gift, I wrap a couple boxes of Argo Corn Starch. it works much better on diaper rash than baby powder, or desitin, or anything. everyone looks at me like I'm nutz, but sometimes a Grandma does know best...;)

I agree with the corn starch idea! Johnson's baby powder now has a formula made with "pure corn starch". I use that and would recommend that.

I guess I could say that I did have a bit of a second one, but it's not your average mistake. I injured both of my feet years ago, and though I took proper precautions in taking extra crocs and such, I was in so much pain. My parents like to run from place to place in Disney, and I would've rather chilled. I didn't want to miss out on the kids' reactions though, so we moved at a seriously fast pace. By the second day I truly needed a wheelchair, but my mom encouraged me to keep going. Thank goodness I had some painkillers for another medical issue I ended up not having problems with. By the end of the trip I had no ankles due to swelling, and had weird red spots all over my feet and lower legs. Turned out I was bleeding under the skin. Awesome. This May will be a much slower paced trip, as I have scheduled 10 days for chillin' through the parks. I will also listen to my body. If I need to rent an ECV (I think that's what they're called), I will.

You have a lot of the same problems that I have. I never ever travel without a tube of Zinc Oxide Ointment. It is wonderful for chaffing. It is inexpensive and you can get it from any drugstore. I do have to warn you that it does not smell pretty, but it does work. It often gets rid of the red soreness overnight.

I would recommend that you rent an ECV from an outside provider. It is much cheaper and you will never regret using one. It will give you so much freedom. You will wonder why you didn't rent one earlier! For more and better advice, check out the DISABILITIES board. Lots of helpful people there.

Not made by me but rather my brother..........

Sharing a limo van to go back to the airport he didn't check to make sure his luggage was put in the van :rotfl2: Luckily our flight was delayed an hr or so. :lmao:

You have a lot of the same problems that I have. I never ever travel without a tube of Zinc Oxide Ointment. It is wonderful for chaffing. It is inexpensive and you can get it from any drugstore. I do have to warn you that it does not smell pretty, but it does work. It often gets rid of the red soreness overnight.

I would recommend that you rent an ECV from an outside provider. It is much cheaper and you will never regret using one. It will give you so much freedom. You will wonder why you didn't rent one earlier! For more and better advice, check out the DISABILITIES board. Lots of helpful people there.

Awesome! Thanx! I am going to try the body glide this time, and will probably grab some Zinc Oxide and cornstarch also. The only thing Disney had was the baby powder, and it didn't work!

I will have to look at the Disabilities board. I didn't think I was disabled until I went to Disney. That's when I realized how bad my injuries were. Now I've accepted it and am doing the best things for my body! Thanx for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter