OK, I'll say it... we are too sensitive

I think she/he was using singing racist songs as an example, not the entirety of what would define/exclude a person from being racist. Especially since this thread is about songs. I could be wrong, of course.

But not singing them doesn’t mean anything.

Not listening in reverse. You responded to a post I made about talking and listening not what anyone went through. I never compared what anyone went through to taking down a statue. I am simply saying that if everyone would stop arguing and listen to each other, a lot could possibly be resolved.

The people who want things removed have good reason. Many people that talk about history and heritage are not referring to slavery or racism. Perhaps a civil conversation could bring understanding to that.

Civility, heritage, and history are nothing but smoke screens. It's no coincidence that the civil rights era produced an explosion of people interested in "history and heritage" Again the problem isn't the other side didn't listen. It's that they've listened all too well.

Civility, heritage, and history are nothing but smoke screens. It's no coincidence that the civil rights era produced an explosion of people interested in "history and heritage" Again the problem isn't the other side didn't listen. It's that they've listened all too well.

When you are speaking of the south, do you know what the people mean by history and heritage?

Again it's an example. It's the point that not everyone at that time became a racist.

Actually, more like a metaphor.

But it doesn’t mean that the woman who sang those songs was racist by standards of the day. Heck since we don’t know if she chose to sing the songs or had to because of contract it doesn’t mean anything. You keep saying you get it, you honestly do not. Singing or not singing the songs means nothing. So ifs it’s a metaphor, it’s not a good one.

But it doesn’t mean that the woman who sang those songs was racist by standards of the day. Heck since we don’t know if she chose to sing the songs or had to because of contract it doesn’t mean anything. You keep saying you get it, you honestly do not. Singing or not singing the songs means nothing. So ifs it’s a metaphor, it’s not a good one.

And that is your opinion. I've expressed mine.

I think what often happens is that those who are used to being in the majority are now having behaviors pointed out as racist or insensitive. This is happening in a more consistent manner than in the past. They do not like this, and are very sensitive about it. In turn, they imply that it is others who are too sensitive or too "pc."
Or that THEY are racists. The difference being, even if they are, there is no oppression of those still in the majority.

Not listening in reverse. You responded to a post I made about talking and listening not what anyone went through. I never compared what anyone went through to taking down a statue. I am simply saying that if everyone would stop arguing and listen to each other, a lot could possibly be resolved.

The people who want things removed have good reason. Many people that talk about history and heritage are not referring to slavery or racism. Perhaps a civil conversation could bring understanding to that.

But that “history” often came at the expense of the oppressed so it goes hand-in-hand with institutionalized racism. You have mentioned before the other side, but like I said, I’m still waiting to here that side’s explanation that doesn’t include racism or oppression.

So you think some of us are still singing these songs, who most have never heard before now, from 70 years ago and we don’t like being called out on it?

Or that we are wearing black face? Or using old terms to describe someone?
No it’s more like being called out for defending those behaviors that other ppl did & calling ppl who don’t want to honor those ppl “too sensitive”.

Last edited:
So you think some of us are still singing these songs, who most have never heard before now, from 70 years ago and we don’t like being called out on it?

Or that we are wearing black face? Or using old terms to describe someone?
These things specifically? Who knows. I am talking in general terms, not arguing every specific instance for every specific person. Microaggressions occur every day. People often don't understand when someone gets upset about it. If they speak up about the matter, sometimes they are called too sensitive and told to get over it.

But that “history” often came at the expense of the oppressed so it goes hand-in-hand with institutionalized racism. You have mentioned before the other side, but like I said, I’m still waiting to here that side’s explanation that doesn’t include racism or oppression.

I don’t know like I said, I don’t care. That’s my point, no one knows if they don’t listen.

Who said I was talking only about the south? And I know what they mean all too well.

You do? So what do they mean?

Let me tell you what the people I have actually asked said it means. It’s not slavery. It’s not about that part of the history. It’s about the southern people who after the civil war had everything stripped from them. There homes and cities were burned and many had nothing left. They built it back by the sweat of their brow. They pulled up their boot straps and came back from those ashes. And that is what they are proud of. They are not proud of the fact that so many’s fortunes before the war were built in the backs of the slaves. But you have to remember that even those who never owned a slave or fought in the war lost. every thing they had too. And those building back their farms and homes and lives is what southern heritage is.

And the southern states have done it again and again. After Camille and after Katrina in this state.

Is that what anyone meant through the civil rights movement? I don’t have a clue. I wasn’t around then. But this is from people now. And honestly most, at least here, don’t care one way the other about Robert E Lee or his statue. They want to be able to rmemorialize their ancestors without being called racist for doing so.

These things specifically? Who knows. I am talking in general terms, not arguing every specific instance for every specific person. Microaggressions occur every day. People often don't understand when someone gets upset about it. If they speak up about the matter, sometimes they are called too sensitive and told to get over it.

Well I hardly think that every microagression that someone says upsets them is being too sensitive. Everyone has a right to feel how they feel.

The thing is, who exactly got upset about Kate Smith? Who found these songs and brought this out? Do we even know? Or was it someone that decided someone else SHOULD be upset about it?

What you refuse to acknowledge is that that history and heritage is rooted in slavery and racism.

I don’t fail to realize that at all. I get it. It’s a very dark part of history. But it’s a history that was all over the country not just the south.

Racism isn’t limited to the south. It’s not even primarily in the south.

I am all for changing our state flag. I don’t care whether a city I don’t live in removes statues. Don’t really care if my own city does. Take away these things if it will help. But will it?

You do? So what do they mean?

Let me tell you what the people I have actually asked said it means. It’s not slavery. It’s not about that part of the history. It’s about the southern people who after the civil war had everything stripped from them. There homes and cities were burned and many had nothing left. They built it back by the sweat of their brow. They pulled up their boot straps and came back from those ashes. And that is what they are proud of. They are not proud of the fact that so many’s fortunes before the war were built in the backs of the slaves. But you have to remember that even those who never owned a slave or fought in the war lost. every thing they had too. And those building back their farms and homes and lives is what southern heritage is.

And the southern states have done it again and again. After Camille and after Katrina in this state.

Is that what anyone meant through the civil rights movement? I don’t have a clue. I wasn’t around then. But this is from people now. And honestly most, at least here, don’t care one way the other about Robert E Lee or his statue. They want to be able to rmemorialize their ancestors without being called racist for doing so.
Now I can understand the idea of southern pride or being proud of where you’re from. I do believe ppl here are very resilient & I’m proud of that. I also understand the resentment that ppl here had of the “the north” b/c of the things you mentioned. My grandfather still had that resentment & I admittedly grew up being told that things were better here than “up there”. Ppl are more polite, friendlier, etc. (not saying I think it’s true) But that has nothing to do with Robert E Lee or the confederate flag or any of the symbols often associated with racism. I’m absolutely a proud New Orleanian, Louisianaian & Southerner (by default ;)). But the taking down of statues of racists ppl or other racists symbols by no means threatens that identity. To me that’s like a German person saying they’re proud to be German & taking away the Nazi flag threatens that identity.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter