Ok, need help planning our trip

redsaid

Earning My Ears
My sister & I decided our families needed to go to WDW next year. We are looking at end of July beginning of August 2003. (probably for 7 days maybe more). Her kids go back to school in the middle of August.

Pretty sure we are going to get 2 cabins hopefully next to eachother. I've been looking at a lot of the threads and it seems like the 2100 loop is a good one?

We are probably going to book as much stuff as we can providing I can call for cruises and ps's on the right mornings sometime next year:D

My cabin will have 2 kids (will be 6 & 3) & hers will have 3 kids (will be 11,8 & 3) with 2 adults in each. She and I want to just do it, the nice places to eat, the cruise, the character meals, Hoop Dee Doo (haven't been probably in 20 years! :eek: )

Since there will be 9 of us for reservations, can I still do that if I try breakfast with cindy? I figure if i get lucky i can get the whole boat for the illuminations cruise.

Any tips to help? I have a disney card from dh's work that i can't find (guess I should look for it). When should I call and do I only make the cabin reservations and then call back and figure out hoppers parks etc?

It will be the first trip for all 5 of the kids and we want them to love it like we did so any help will be SOOO appreciated!

Thanks

We just got back and one of the BIG hits with my kids (8yo twin girls) was the Sci-Fi Drive In at MGM.

Hubby and I like the Prime Time 50's Diner, but the kids didn't 'get it' ;) . They thought there were a lot fo rules (the server acts as 'Mom' and tells you to wash your hands and checks to see if you ate all of your food).

At the camp ground, try to see the water parade at least once. If the winds are too high, they do cancel (that happened to us on Wednesday night last week, but we got to see it on Thursday night).

Also, take quarters to the petting zoo. I didn't see a change machine there, and to feed the animals you have to buy the food out of a machine for a quarter. Luckily, I had some with me when we went.

Take first aid stuff to treat blisters. We all got them the first day of walking the parks (mine were the worse). My kids both scraped their knees on their scooters at FW, so we tended to thier injuries too. So I do recommend with that many kids to take first aid materials.

Have a great vacation!

Debra

Thanks so much for your reply.

I have a while but am really excited and want to make this trip as awesome as possible for the kids (oh and the adults too! :D )

Anyone else have any words of wisdom or advise?

Thanks

Suggestions:

1. Call and make resv for the cabins now. Summers can be busy. You can always check out discounted rates later and switch your resvs around. Also call and make your Hoop De Doo reservation at the same time.

2. Discounts: It sounds like your husband had the Magic Kingdom Club card, which has been discontinued. You can join Disney Club I believe it is around $60.

3. Tickets: I would hold off on them until it gets a little closer. They can be purchased in advance at AAA, The Disney Store or at disneyworld.com. They also can be purchased at the Front Desk when you arrive. Do some investigating to see which ticket will work best for your schedule.
UMP- Good from the day you check in to midnight on the day you check out. If you plan side trips like Sea World or Universal. This ticket is not for you.
Seven day passes are available and cover all 4 theme parks, three water parks and PI. Much more flexibility if you dont use all the days they are good on future visits.

4. PSs. I would recommend this for any sit down restaurant with your party size & the cruise. Cindys about 120 days in advance. Character meals or the popular restaurants (Whispering Canyon, Le Cellier, Cal Grill) 90 days before your arrival. Use the PS calculator it is a wonderful tool.

5. R&R: There is so much to do at FW plan some down time at the resort. The kids can bike and visit the petting farm. The adults can enjoy the peaceful surroundings. Also resv can be made a year in advance for golf carts. These can be invaluable for transportation so consider reserving a couple for your group.

6. Start preparing now. Have the kids earn Disney Dollars around the house. Get them autograph books, a pen and disposible camera for the trip. Place mailing labels with your address on them on the book & cameral in case they get lost. Fanny packs & misters are also great items to have along. We freeze the water bottles and then take them to the park to save on the expensive bottled water. Slather everyone in sunscreen, August is very hot.

Fun Restaurants: Beaches & Cream, 50s Prime Time, Sci Fi, Whispering Canyon, Teppanyaki, Biergarten
Character Meals: Garden Grill, Liberty Tree, Chef Mickey, Cindys
Nice Restaurants: Le Cellier, Yachtsmans, Cal Grill, Narcoossees, Flying Fish, Chefs De France, Mama Melrose, Brown Derby, Konas, GF Cafe
Buffets: Akershus, Cape May

Passes: If you are planning on staying 7 days and there is ANY possibility that you might return within the next 365 days to WDW, then get an AP (annual Pass) The break even point on this is 8 days. This will also give you discounts of up to 40% off rack rates during certain times of the year.

Disney Club Card: I think I only paid $39.95 for mine but it saved me 10% I think on my AP so if you are buying 9 annual passes or even tickets the DCC will pay for itself.

Buy stuff now: I pick up little, Disney things at my dollar store before my trip. They have had Disney notebooks, coloring books, keychains, canteens figurines etc. /Walmart/Kmart/Target are also great sources for this kind of stuff. You can hide it all then suprise the kids with it once you get there. This tends to cut down on "Mom I want..." As you are not going till next year, wait for this seasons stuff to go on clearance and pick up clothes, mister fans and other seasonal items.

Stuff for cabins: I always decorate my tent site with Disney balloons, streamers etc. This provides any theming I might need. I also pick up Disney themed paper plates, napkins cups at our local party city very cheaply.

Having kids/family help: Give Disney dollars for chores, and ask family to give kids Disney dollars for birthdays and holidays.

Set up a change jar: You can decorate it with stickers etc to help remind people that every penny counts. drop all spare change at the end of the day into it. I also put in any money in pants pockets before doing laundry, money I saved using coupons, bottle returns anything. I saved over $600 in 1 year just by putting a little in at a time. It will pay for my 5 night stay, all my food and rental car.

Priority Seatings: THese are a must for any sit down meal with a party of your size. For really popular restaurants you may or may not get through (CRT Luau HDD etc...) Use the tips given on the restaurant and tips board for precise instructions.

Get Kids involved in planning: Show them guide books and videos. Have each of them pick one or two (or more:D ) "must sees" weather it is a charachter, attraction or show and then DO IT!

I guess I could go on and on. Just remember to have fun and visit these boards often:earsgirl:

Hi redsaid,

I would start saving money now.
As soon as you get enough saved go
and buy a pass. Disney has announced
that they will not increase ticket
prices this year but you never know
for sure. For me, the earlier you
buy your tickets the better.

After you get your tickets bought
then work on paying for everything
else before you go.

The Disney Club is around $ 40.00
to join here is a link to the Disney Club.
Also go to widwig.
You can scroll down to the menus and
check out the resturants on site and
see which ones you might like and
how much it will cost you.

Good Luck

Thanks for the responses.....

I needed to break away from this site for a little while, I was overloading myself and running out of ink in my printer. :D

I really appreciate the tips we are about to book but now my dh is having convulsions about going at the end of July....

My advice would be to book thru Dreams Unlimited. We are going this July with a group of 12 also to FW in cabins. Our Dreams agent has been great. We got a better discount after we had booked (they keep a watch out for any codes and can rebook and get them for you) and they help with your priority seatings. We are having breakafst at Cindy's and are going on an Illuminations cruise too! They can't guarantee that they will be able to get these ressies for you but they do have lots of experience and know all the tips and tricks. It doesn't cost anything to use them and we have been very pleased with their service. Good Luck with your planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter