OKW had no magic, but trip was great! (with pics)

There was another recent thread where the Front Desk moved a member out of a H/A room because they had small children.
Something about it being a safety issue because of the controls for the stove being within reach. Don't know if a studio would also have issues.

Thanks for the report. Glad you trip was fun.

Thanks for the report Shan!

So sorry about OKW not being up to par ~ knock wood, we've always had excellent service at OKW. I really hope it was just a fluke. That room sounds awful:(

On an up note though, we checked out of BCV's after a week long stay on Sun. 10/3. We were there at the same time even though it was only for a day or so. We went to the MNSSHP for the first time on Friday night 10/1 and I totally agree with you! It was so much fun! I can hardly wait for next year. We dressed up the kids in costumes (dd 1yr that day went as a strawberry and ds 4yrs went as Thomas the tank engine:) ) . We may just join them and dress up ourselves next time. Your costumes were fabulous!! Happy you survived being at WDW without the kids ;) It must have been quite a different experience.

Anyway, hope you'll try OKW for that spring break vacation and that the CM's didn't ruin your magic completely. Hopefully, it was just an off thing and next time will make up for it. FWIW we've stayed in studios at OKW lots of times with many great visits over the years ~ again, I really hope it was just an off time and won't happen again. I've had just average stays at BCV's on the 2 stays I had in studios previous to this last BCV's visit and this last one was awesome. You never know, different visit, different CM checking you in ~ next stay could be terrific.:wave:

I took everything in stride, but if we get another handicap accessible studio with no tub next trip the kids are with us I will DEMAND to be moved. I would not stay a whole week with no tub for them and the toilet is way too high for them, too. I guess I could request a step stool?
I know there are no guarantees, but when you join DVC they fail to mention this being a possibility of happening. Most hotels will guarantee a room with a tub and nonsmoking. I don't see why DVC can't. If you try to book too late and those rooms are taken then you take what it is left. JMHO

Scoootch, you posted as I was posting. Glad you had a good time. Did you get your MNSSHP pics back yet? Mine came a couple days ago. Very fast!

Thank you for posting your trip report. The MNSSHP sounds like it was great. Wonderful pics. You guys looked great! I can see why Disney thought people would come up to you for autographs.
We feel the same way about the hotel DVC resorts--they are more our type of resort for vacation.
Maybe to keep all your options open, get on a waitlist to see if you can switch back to BCV for your Spring trip. You already have rooms at OKW, so you have nothing to lose by getting on a waitlist. I was surprised to read you switched from BCV to OKW--it is usually the other way around.
Good luck & have a wonderful vacation!

Im with you on the HA rooms. DVC should go so far as to build a HA model in the sales center to let buyers know what they could receive.

Cute Pictures and MNSSHP sounds like it was alot of fun.

I want a lizard in my room too! The boys would get a kick out of that! LOL

While I could never see any of the DVC resorts being compared to a Holiday Inn, I do respect that everyone has their own opinion. OKW has never left me with even a remotely close experience as yours Shan but I am sorry to hear you had such an unpleasent experience. I do believe that every DVC resort has undesirable rooms/locations. I had one at BWV last year where I got to watch the valet parking lot and service area driveway while I sat out on my balcony. Not real magical seeing the delivery vehicles coming and going. But looking at the whole picture, I realize this is not the norm for BWV, as neither your experience is the norm for OKW. Hope you give OKW another chance. I usually request non-smoking, water view, no HA. Last time I got bldg 43 and it was terrific. I also agree most of the views from the studios (particularily ground floors) have a nothing-to-write-home about view.
As for MNSSHP----glad u had a great time. Real cute costumes. We went in '99 and '01 ---both on Halloween night. Sorry you missed out on the pins---looks like I'm up for a challenge trying to find them next month. I also like the idea of getting a new charm for the bracelet every month. Thanks for the report.

Loved the report! And the costumes too! I have only recently heard of the Adventurers Club, as on all our trips we haven't been to Pleasure Island or the West Side (?) of DD. It sounds pretty neat, and I'm thinking of going there on our next trip in Feb. I have to finally find out what Kungaloosh is afterall...

Sorry to hear about your room.... (((hugs))) Most rooms at OKW are over the top wonderful.... sorry yours wasnt.

And YAYAYAY for wearing your costume!! Looks great and I am so glad you guys had a blast at MNNSHP!

OKW is my favorite resort -- with the exception of the studios. They feel too much like hotel rooms to me. I prefer almost every other studio to that one. We like having a sofa in the room.

BUT --- throw that studio on a one bedroom, and it's magnificent. SO MUCH ROOM! And lots of them have really beautiful views. ALso, the one-bedrooms themselves feel positively luxurious. That would give you a true picture of an OKW stay.

When we do studios, we stay in BCV, BWV or VWL. For 1 bedrooms on up, we feel OKW can't be beat. (When we did a one bedroom at BCV in May, my husband told me several times how cramped he felt....)

You have lots of years to try OKW again, so maybe it will be the right fit again someday in your plans. But stay away from those studios. I think you'll always be disappointed there.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Tooneric, the Kungaloosh drink was yummy, but I drank two and never felt "relaxed'. ;) Then I had a glass of wine and well, I did mention I had a hangover the next day, right?
:teeth: I drink maybe a few times a year so a couple glasses of wine usually do me in.

Try to get there early and stay for a bit. When we went years ago we just walked in and then walked out. You have to stay a bit to get the jest of what is going on I think. We absolutely loved it.

I talked to hubby today. I guess our plan will be to try OKW again for spring break with the girls. I had talked up the new castle slide to my six year old so I kinda got myself into a fix.
I'm gonna call MS and ask them to please put on my requests that I need a tub for my children.

I already had on there nonsmoking and close to HH. (I had wanted to be close to the new slide.) Anyone think I should request a few specific buildings to better my chances instead of just close to HH?

I asked hubby about staying at a value the night before we check in, but he is really over doing that. He doesn't like to move, although I don't mind too much. He said we'll leave in the middle of the night if we have to and the girls can stay in their PJs...

what great costumes, you both looked great!!

Great trip report. I rememember seeing you at LTT that Sunday night. You and your husband looked so real in those costumes.

You look MAV-ELOUS Dah-ling! We have our 6 "Qwack Pot " bowling shirts in and love them...can't wait. I am curious if they are now moving everyone to Tomorrowland after LTT instead of letting you stay in Frontierland. Has anyone else had the same experience on another day?

I really enjoyed your trip report! Thanks for posting.

LOVE the costumes. You and DH look great! ::yes::

Glad you had a great trip dispite the not so great OKW accomadations. DH an dI really enjoyed a trip we were able to do sans children a few years ago--might be time for another!;)

Do it patsal!

It was really fun and I think did me good to be able to be responsibility free for a few days! Like I said in my report - I did nothing! I even let hubby wash the coffee mugs, etc.!
:eek:

Lenshanem
Were we sitting with you at the last show in the Adventurer's Club? I was the - ah "entertainment" at Samantha's Caberet.

ronw, were you the hubby that had to get up and dance? The couple that meet was it in high school band or church?

(Please forgive me, by that time I was a little tipsy. We had been there all night and I don't drink too often!)

I hope your wife got a pic of you? That place was a hoot.

Kungaloosh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter