OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Also Feb. 23-26 is the weekend for the Princess 1/2 marathon. That means that there is about 25,000 runners for the races alone, not counting the spectators!!!!

So it doesn't seem odd that the only two resorts with no availability are OKW and GF? GF, yes, but OKW? Before any other resort? I know it's a busy weekend - we're going both for the President's week vacation and the race...but I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I'm pretty sure that OKW wouldn't, under even the busiest circumstances, be only the 2nd resort to be completely unavailable without some situation.

Please could someone let me know where we can fill our refillable mugs at OKW? Thanks :-)
You can refill at any of the local pools when the snack bar is open. Also at the main pool.

Wow, that was quick, many thanks. We've never stayed there before, and never on the dining plan, so just wondering what location was best to request so we didn't have to walk miles to fill the mugs up :-)

All units at OKW have either a balcony (2nd and 3rd floors) or a patio (1st floor).

Any guess on hours for turtle pond snack bar.
Think it was 10- 6 when we were there August. I was told they are trying to get sign off (takes a long time as 'capital expenditure' to have self service at Turtle Pond. The frustrating thing is you cannot fill there before heading to parks early.

So it doesn't seem odd that the only two resorts with no availability are OKW and GF? GF, yes, but OKW? Before any other resort? I know it's a busy weekend - we're going both for the President's week vacation and the race...but I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I'm pretty sure that OKW wouldn't, under even the busiest circumstances, be only the 2nd resort to be completely unavailable without some situation.

They may be updating inventory to block off for the refurb. It's happened when they announced refurbs for other resorts. You can't count on any opening up again, however that also has happened for other resorts.

They may be updating inventory to block off for the refurb. It's happened when they announced refurbs for other resorts. You can't count on any opening up again, however that also has happened for other resorts.

That makes sense! I just wish we'd get one of the official email notifications (been booked for Feb since June!) so that we could see what our options are! I want to switch from OKW to get a preferred room at POR if the pool will be closed, but then again, if I won't be able to switch back if the discounts end up being better than expected in a few weeks, I don't want to chance it! (that was a ridiculously long run-on sentence - Disney is making my planning brain explode!)

Just saying hello! We've just booked ro stay at OKW for the first time next summer. Hoping to learn lots on here :-)
Aw you will love it. We try to change and have stayed at SSR ( loved the pool area disliked the accomodation ) Boardwalk. Loved it. Beach club villas really love that one. But we always revert back to OKW. We think it's the friendliest ,homeliest and best pool parties. We are back in June for 3 weeks. Can't wait

Hello! We are staying with friends in a 2 bedroom MLK week. We just found out the pool will be closed, and we requested to stay near the main pool because we have three young kids who looove water slides. So I have two questions...
1) any tips, advice, etc for handling a resort change? (Basically there was no availability anywhere else that week.)
2) if we are stuck at OKW, what should we change our request to? The only advice we've heard is to avoid the bus turnaround spots, but we don't know where those are

Thanks!

I think Turtle Pool is open so that would likely be a good spot as there is a snack bar and drinks refills there. The bus turnarounds I would agree with. There are 3 of them. One is down Turtle Pond, but only part way down near the bus stop. A really nice point is either off down the street to the right off the roundabout where the buses turn - far enough from the roundabout not to hear buses, preferably on the right by and side overlooking the golf courses. Alternatively blocks to the left of the roundabout are nearer the pool, best rooms on the left up there.
Whilst further away from hospitality house, the rooms up near the South Point pool (on the street where the pool is) are very nice- nice and quiet. The turning roundabout up at this end is right at the top of the resort. We were given a room right on that roundabout at the top and there is also a busy highway behind so I kicked up a stink and was given a different room so that should be avoided.
Another good point is Millers Road with another pool on, but there is yet another bus turning point here.
A good tip- make sure you get Chrome browser and go on Google maps. Then zoom in until it goes into 3d birds eye view. This is the best way to assess the room locations and it even tells you the blocks if you hover over them. If you have booked via Disney Travel Company DO NOT ring them with your requests. They failed to tell the resort about any of mine (now sorted by Disney to my satosfaction), ring the resort direct and get them to put them on the reservation. Also ring back a week before and 2 days before as well. A manager at front desk told me this was the best way.

Nope. That doesn't make any sense. VB and Aulani have subsidies for some contracts, but not OKW.
Thanks! It was on Fidelitys email blast today and on one of the other sites that I cant remember. I was confused because I had never seen subsidized OKW. Broker must have goofed.

I asked this question on the resort board and they suggested I ask it here. We are looking at staying at OKW but are travelling in a 24 foot touring van (a sprinter - not a true RV). It can be backed into spaces if its backend can go over the curb (it has about 5 feet between the back of the van and the back wheels). It is no wider than a normal mini-van. My understanding is that if I can't park it at OKW it would have to be parked at Port Orleans which is really not a great option since we would be using it during our stay. Can anyone give me some direction on how to find out before I make a reservation whether or not we could park our vehicle at OKW?

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter