OKW or Saratoga?

margot31

DIS Veteran
I am looking to do a trip this fall and rent some DVC points. It will be just me or maybe one other adult (not sure yet). As a 40 year old which resort? Do you feel you are too far away from everything at these resorts? I plan on pretty much be in the parks majority of time.

I am looking to do a trip this fall and rent some DVC points. It will be just me or maybe one other adult (not sure yet). As a 40 year old which resort? Do you feel you are too far away from everything at these resorts? I plan on pretty much be in the parks majority of time.
If you do SSR, do preferred so you're closer to the food court.

I like both, no strong preference. SSR is walkable to Disney Springs, but OKW has the boat and I love the boat. You can also walk from OKW but it is much further depending where in the resort you are.
OKW has a little bit more charm that SSR. I would go with which ever is available and has lower points!

Different people have different favorites. SSR is closer to DS, but it makes OKW look like a compact resort. I was just at SSR a few weeks ago, and I was amazed at how HUGE it is.

Both are far away from the parks and only provide bus transportation.
Both provide boat transportation to Disney Springs.

With it being you and possibly just one more adult and assuming you are not sharing a bed...
Would you rather have 2 real beds (OKW) or SSR with 1 bed and a couch that converts to a bed (No bars in the back as it folds down from the wall and has a good mattress)
I personally prefer having more room with the couch but OKW rooms are actually quite roomy even with the 2 beds out.
SSR allows someone to do hair, teeth, makeup while someone else is in the shower. OKW has it all in the same bathroom but I guess you could brush your teeth in the kitchenette sink and use the mirror on the door of the bathroom.

OKW seems more relaxing to us but that again is our opinion.

We have stayed at SSR, but not OKW. SSR is recently renovated and the Murphy bed was comfortable. The rooms were so nice. As well there is a digital safe, a new renovated kitchenette and bathroom. We took the boat to Disney Springs as well.

Personally, I would go for SSR. The rooms are nicer and it’s pools are better. The convenience of being able to hop over to Disney Springs and walk back after a nice meal is great.

Both are far away from the parks and only provide bus transportation.
OKW is basically across the road from Epcot. While you are correct that busses are the only transportation to and from, the actual proximity to Epcot, Studios, and MK makes the bus ride very short when you leave the gate. Everything is far from AK unless you stay at AKL.

1708902080979.png

OKW is basically across the road from Epcot. While you are correct that busses are the only transportation to and from, the actual proximity to Epcot, Studios, and MK makes the bus ride very short when you leave the gate. Everything is far from AK unless you stay at AKL.

View attachment 836811
Sorry I should have stated the amount of time waiting an on the bus not the proximity. SSR is right past OKW so its proximity is also not bad but again it’s a waiting game.

View attachment 836811
The actual thing that's off by itself in the overall footprint of WDW is Magic Kingdom. People think it's central, but it's off by itself on the northern edge of property. The resorts that are most convenient to MK are generally least convenient to everywhere else (unless you're in a Poly room close enough to walk to the TTC).

(I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm adding to your point about OKW being pretty centrally located whIle also offering an indirect defense of AKL.)

I always find both Saratoga and OKW to feel very peaceful and disconnected from the parks a bit (in a good way, as it's like decompressing after a long day). Both have different benefits for me - OKW has larger rooms, mostly golf or lake views, and the feeling of staying in a completely isolated resort area - yet still having busses and boats to get around the Disney properties. Saratoga is a bigger, more sprawling resort - but also better on-site dining and bar options, and the biggest perk for me is walking access over to Disney Springs which opens up dozens of restaurants, bars, and night entertainment options which can be enjoyed before or after park days. It even provides additional transportation options to get to the parks, because you can walk out of the parks to nearby resorts, then take those resort busses to Disney Springs, and just walk back to your villa (comes in handy when the parks close and there's a mad rush on the busses - from MK you can walk over to Contemporary, from Epcot walk over to Beach Club, and from DHS, walk to Boardwalk or take the Skyliner to Riviera, to catch a much less crowded Disney Springs bus.

I'd probably recommend Saratoga Springs for a solo adult or two adults - even if the plan is to spend most of the time in the parks, Disney Springs being a quick walk over a bridge will give so much more entertainment and dining options, or bar options for adults (and yes, you can get to those from OKW too, but need to take the boat - it's just a little less convenient overall though the boat ride is fun).

Both resorts have similar drawbacks to me, namely size, being spread out and requiring an internal bus loop. SSR has the advantage of elevators where as OKW only has a couple of buildings that have them. My knees are particularly achey today, so I had to mention that. SSR was also recently refurbed while OKW seems very dated to me.

OKW does have Olivias on site which IMHO is one of the most underrated restaurants on property. But of course SSR is closer to DS, where your dining options are almost endless. I'd go with SSR, but only if there were no other options besides OKW or SSR. I'd pick literally any other DVC resort over either of them to be honest.

I'm having the same dilemma. Looking at a Standard 2BR at either, for 5-6 adults.

We are big on pools and loved the Turtle Pond area at OKW. Quiet, relaxing music and no games or recreation CMs yelling trivia questions on megaphones. We're going to cook breakfast and lunch a few days so the big kitchen at OKW is drawing me. We've never stayed at SSR but the pools and pool bars look very nice -- anyone have any experience with these?

The murphy bed in the living room is also drawing us to SSR, I've shared a Kidani sofa bed with another adult before and those things are not comfortable in the least.

We don't mind buses, as long as we are close to a bus stop and a short walk to the pool. And I'd rather save my feet and take a relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs, so proximity walking-wise doesn't matter.

WWYD? Right now, these are the only two available options for our dates for Two Bedroom villas. SSR is about $60 cheaper, overall, so very similar in price. TIA!

I'm having the same dilemma. Looking at a Standard 2BR at either, for 5-6 adults.

We are big on pools and loved the Turtle Pond area at OKW. Quiet, relaxing music and no games or recreation CMs yelling trivia questions on megaphones. We're going to cook breakfast and lunch a few days so the big kitchen at OKW is drawing me. We've never stayed at SSR but the pools and pool bars look very nice -- anyone have any experience with these?

The murphy bed in the living room is also drawing us to SSR, I've shared a Kidani sofa bed with another adult before and those things are not comfortable in the least.

We don't mind buses, as long as we are close to a bus stop and a short walk to the pool. And I'd rather save my feet and take a relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs, so proximity walking-wise doesn't matter.

WWYD? Right now, these are the only two available options for our dates for Two Bedroom villas. SSR is about $60 cheaper, overall, so very similar in price. TIA!
Assuming you won’t want to share a bedroom I would do SSR with the Murphy bed vs couch.
If you can share a bedroom the OKW would have 2 real beds plus the king in the master.

Now if it’s only 5 I still may favor OKW as the sleeper chair is not bad at all.

BTW I totally agree with you about saving your feet and enjoying the boat ride back and forth from Disney Springs 😁

We just finished up a stay at Old Key West for the first time.

We really liked it. Liked the theming. Thought the busses were efficient. Didn’t think it was too far from the parks— kind of evenly split in proximity.

And, for reference, we usually stay at the Polynesian.

Reading through the responses here, I saw a couple of mentions that recent refurbishments at SSR are a plus over OKW.
Wasn't OKW recently refurbished as well? I thought it was even more recent than SSR. Can someone who has stayed at both properties recently please clarify this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter