Old Key West... Are you people nuts?

Happy Birthday Cat said:
And sometimes people would give it back to our old friend. Such as:

OKW Double Talk: What is said vs. what is meant by OKW owners:

"I love the quiet feel" = "OKW is far away from everything"

"I can park close to my room" = "We don't have valet parking like a real hotel"

"It's a peaceful community" = "It's a retirement home"

"OKW is the only real DVC Resort" = "I bought there before I realized they were going to build in better locations"

"Maintenance fees are less" = "It's a great place to buy if you're cheap"

"The units at OKW are the biggest" = "Everyone knows that in real estate, size is far more important than location"

HBC ;)

Disclaimer: Just as JimC was joking, so am I. Don't take anything written here too seriously (except for the last point regarding size).;)

Oooohhhhh....I hope you REALLY like Halloween!!!! Don't be too surprised if you get a visit from the spirit of Mr Hyams....those are "fighting" words (even if I do agree with you ;) )!!

:wave:

Beca

SoCalKDG said:
In case we have some people here that are thinking of buying, please note most of these comments are in jest. Much like the "fish I caught story that keeps seeing that fish get larger".

In actuality OKW is less than 20% larger than BWV. BWV's 1 bedrooms are 812 sq. ft. OKW's 1 bedrooms are 942 sq. ft. Based off of that, I guess the OKW kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom are only 130 total sq. ft. I just knew those OKW people lived strangly. :teeth: BWV are larger than VWL, BCV, SSR.

Additionally the longest hallway at BWV is .12 miles, or about 3 minutes.

If I'm going to have a car, then OKW makes a lot of sense. Otherwise I like to stick to the Epcot area.

This is a great post!! I am heading home (BWV) for the first time in May. I have read all the posts about the long hallways and I have been a bit scared that the kids will run ahead of me and get lost in the maze of hallways!! They are a little high strung ;) . And the comments about size are comforting too. Thanks!

SoCalKDG said:
In case we have some people here that are thinking of buying, please note most of these comments are in jest. Much like the "fish I caught story that keeps seeing that fish get larger".

In actuality OKW is less than 20% larger than BWV. BWV's 1 bedrooms are 812 sq. ft. OKW's 1 bedrooms are 942 sq. ft. Based off of that, I guess the OKW kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom are only 130 total sq. ft. I just knew those OKW people lived strangly. :teeth: BWV are larger than VWL, BCV, SSR.

Additionally the longest hallway at BWV is .12 miles, or about 3 minutes.

If I'm going to have a car, then OKW makes a lot of sense. Otherwise I like to stick to the Epcot area.

But its more fun with a wee bit of flourish, don't you think? :goodvibes

There is a wonderful thread started by CaptainMidnight that many of us contributed to where we made a very deliberate attempt to stick to the facts:

http://130.94.75.33/showthread.php?t=428249

In actuality OKW is less than 20% larger than BWV. BWV's 1 bedrooms are 812 sq. ft. OKW's 1 bedrooms are 942 sq. ft. Based off of that, I guess the OKW kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom are only 130 total sq. ft. I just knew those OKW people lived strangly.
Actually, the room size info I have (posted by WebmasterDoc) differs from your figures SoCalKDG ? Here's what I have :
OKW
Studio: 390 sq. ft.
1 BR: 1005 sq. ft.
2 BR: 1410 sq. ft.
GV: 2375 sq. ft.

BWV
Studio: 359 sq. ft.
1 BR: 712 sq. ft.
2 BR: 1071 sq. ft.
GV: 2142 sq. ft.

As for needing a car at OKW....it's that same 'ole debate. But we've never waited longer than 10-15 min for any bus at OKW so I really don't think a car is necessary. Yes, BWV is great for the Epcot area (but this isn't our favorite park----the MK is). So, for us, staying at BWV is not all that much of an extra perk in relation to the parks. But I can understand how for many it would be. But just wanted to say, that it's great DVC offers something to fit everyone's tastes :cool1:
And TammyAlphabet ---my kids DID get lost in the hallways at BWV....but we had a great stay there nonetheless ! We were joking how we should have left a trail of bread crumbs to find our way back ;) (said in playful jest all !)

MIASRN62, I noticed that as well. But now the DVC web site has size posted for each resort and each size villa. And the DVC official numbers are different in some instances from what we all had been using previously. OKW one bedroom was one where our numbers were higher than what DVC has posted now on its site. Without actually measuring it I guess I defer to DVC's official numbers. :confused3

I understand where you're coming from Jim.....but I don't know if I fully trust the website either (could be though). I've seen 1 br at BWV (and VWL) and OKW and there sure seems like a big difference in space with the 1 BR at OKW appearing huge in comparision. :confused3

Honestly not trying to start a debate or anything, just know my family would not be comfortable in a 1BR at BWV or at any other wdw DVC resort except OKW. The extra large patio/balcony at OKW is a plus for us as well. We can actually all fit out there at once.

MiaSRN62 said:
Actually, the room size info I have (posted by WebmasterDoc) differs from your figures SoCalKDG ? Here's what I have :
OKW
Studio: 390 sq. ft.
1 BR: 1005 sq. ft.
2 BR: 1410 sq. ft.
GV: 2375 sq. ft.

BWV
Studio: 359 sq. ft.
1 BR: 712 sq. ft.
2 BR: 1071 sq. ft.
GV: 2142 sq. ft.

As for needing a car at OKW....it's that same 'ole debate. But we've never waited longer than 10-15 min for any bus at OKW so I really don't think a car is necessary. Yes, BWV is great for the Epcot area (but this isn't our favorite park----the MK is). So, for us, staying at BWV is not all that much of an extra perk in relation to the parks. But I can understand how for many it would be. But just wanted to say, that it's great DVC offers something to fit everyone's tastes :cool1:
And TammyAlphabet ---my kids DID get lost in the hallways at BWV....but we had a great stay there nonetheless ! We were joking how we should have left a trail of bread crumbs to find our way back ;) (said in playful jest all !)
I got my numbers from the official DVC site. Additionally they are also in the holy bible of WDW, the UOG. I must say I do like the island kitchen at OKW(one of the reasons we bought the home we did).

I think the reason I like the Epcot area is that we go to Disneyland about 20 times a year, thus the MK doesn't hold the same interest as some of the other parks(we still love it though). We go to Epcot at least 3 times, MK and DS twice, and AK once while on vacation. Thus 5 out of 8 trips are by boat or walking. I'm also a big fan of ESPN, the candy store, and the bakery.

SoCalKDG said:
I got my numbers from the official DVC site. Additionally they are also in the holy bible of WDW, the UOG. I must say I do like the island kitchen at OKW(one of the reasons we bought the home we did).

I think the reason I like the Epcot area is that we go to Disneyland about 20 times a year, thus the MK doesn't hold the same interest as some of the other parks(we still love it though). We go to Epcot at least 3 times, MK and DS twice, and AK once while on vacation. Thus 5 out of 8 trips are by boat or walking. I'm also a big fan of ESPN, the candy store, and the bakery.
I get PLENTY of walking inside the parks, and I'm getting old, so waiting a few minutes for a bus and taking less steps is far more to my liking than walking to MGM and Epcot. We've done it. The boat seems to take forever, so we do end up walking, but at the end of the day, it is a LOT of extra steps and even more when you consider those extra long hallways.

The nice thing about DVC is that we can each enjoy our own home for our onw reasons. For me, it is OKW all the way.

Montana Disney Fan said:
If you read my post more carefully, you'll see I was talking about BWV. At OKW you park right outside your room so no big deal but at BWV the parking lot is pretty far from the rooms.

Yes,but it can be hard hauling groceries and luggage up three flights of stairs. While we love OKW we always seem to get an upper floor room w/o being in an elevator building.

Yes,but it can be hard hauling groceries and luggage up three flights of stairs.
No need to haul Bribrittmom.....OKW has Bell Service who will be quite happy to do that for you. :moped:

Concerning the "small" villas at BWV - we were there last week and lucked out getting one of the 1-bd. standard view "corner" villas (2123) overlooking the duck pond. We were very pleasantly surprised with this villa. It seemed larger than the other villas. We loved it! It gives you one of those WOW moments when you first enter it.

For those of you who've never seen one of these units, here's a rundown. As you enter the resort and look left from the bridge, the corner rooms are in the "yellow" section near the end that curves around the corner. On the 2nd floor, the whole yellow section is just ONE villa. I'm not sure about the other floors.

Our villa had a wonderful feeling of space and light in the living room - the layout is much different than the regular villas. There's no counter between the kitchen and living area, it's all one open space with a large round table and four nice chairs - more like the table in an OKW 1 or 2 bd. The kitchen lines an "inner curve" of the wall. The whole thing has a big, curving wrap-around "triple" balcony and another off the bedroom. There are three big french doors in the living/kitchen area and another off the bedroom - hence, all the light. TOT and the canal were off to our right and we could see Illuminations off to our left.

Yes, it was almost at the ultimate end of the Long Walk, but an entrance was right below us and the stairs were right across from us. Very handy. It was listed as a smoking room, but we didn't notice even a hint that a smoker had been there. My DIL is asthmatic and had no problem.

We'd be VERY happy to get one of these villas again when we reserve a "standard view". We really enjoyed it.

DisFlan

Concerning the "small" villas at BWV - we were there last week and lucked out getting one of the 1-bd. standard view "corner" villas (2123) overlooking the duck pond.
As you describe this, it sounds very nice indeed........too bad the majority of the 1 bedrooms are smaller than this and there's no guarantee of getting this larger one. You really lucked out. When we book a 1 bedroom, we do so at OKW because we know exactly the size we're getting and we value/need the extra space. We don't dislike BWV at all (we weren't too crazy about our view there though---of the valet parking lot)....but we had a very nice stay there....we just prefer OKW for the villa size and ambience.
Thanks for the report on that 1 bedroom though......would be nice to get that one. I'm assuming they're only standard view ?

MiaSRN62 - because of the architectural layout of BWV, I'm assuming the "corner" villas are all standard view. I don't know where else this type of villa would fit - but I could be wrong. And I'm also assuming there are very few of them. We were, indeed, lucky. The open layout gave me a feeling that it was an OKW/BWV hybrid.

We enjoy OKW, too. We were there last year in a 2-bd with a larger group of family, including our 3-yo niece. The extra space and larger balcony gave her plenty of space to play and run around. She's still talking about the trip and asking when we're all going back to our Disney house.

DisFlan

OKW is great. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge once, and it was nice, but small. We took the BW tour. and it was small. We took the Beach Club tour and it was small. I would stay anywhere, but always go back to OKW.

Just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU to all of you here that told all of your wonderful stories about OKW and gave me plenty of advice and information!! We are just back from a wonderful week vacation at OKW (just as guests...not owners) and could not be happier about what a great choice we made staying there! What a beautiful resort!!! We were in bldg 62...right next to the HH...in a 2 bedroom! It was gorgeous. Nice and roomy and plenty clean!!! They helped us with anything and everything we needed and could not have been nicer!
Just a quick, funny story....we actually needed a small screwdriver for a digital camera (I mean real small...like the ones for glasses) Well, I went to guest services to ask my crazy question...if they possibly had something like this we could borrow??? The woman I dealt with actually said..."oh, I think I may have one of those in my purse...let me check"
Well, she did!!! And let me take it back to the room and then I returned it!! How nice of her...I think I would have been afraid I would never see it again!!!
I can't wait to go back someday and now trying to talk DH into buying into DVC...keep your fingers crossed for me!
Thank you again...all of you..for all the help & advice you gave to me while I was planning!!!! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter