older teens

bnelvr

Earning My Ears
My son and his friend both 17+ are at the age where they think of themselves as adults and not teens. Somehow, they feel like they will be hanging around a bunch of 13 yr. olds. Can they do some of the adult stuff (other than drink) since they are up there in the teen age? Are there alot of older teens on the ship? I know that they wanted to take avantage of the spa. Would love to hear from ya.

You never know what ages are going to be on the ship. We took our son when he was 17 and he had a great time. In January we are taking my daughter and niece who are both 16, my daughter's 4th time and my niece's 1st. They are both looking forward to it.
Everytime we have been on the ship there has been several hundred teenagers between 13-17. That is the size of a small school. I would think the chances are good they will find someone who they are comfortable hanging out with.
I don't think they will be allowed in the adult areas of the ship. They are pretty strict about the rules in that area.

We are sailing on the Magic during spring break with our 17 and 9 year old sons. We sailed the Wonder a couple of years ago and both of our boys said they wanted to do Disney again because they had so much fun. Our older son took a friend last time and it worked out so well that he is taking a friend again this time. We booked two cabins - an inside cat.11 for the teens and our room is across the hall (we have a verandah though;) )

I think your teens will have a great time.

Sandy

My son was 16 1/2 when we cruised, and he met a lot of kids his age and had a great time!

We actually have pretty much decided to cancel the cruises we have booked for 2004 because he'll be 18 1/2, too old for Common Grounds, and not old enough to do a lot of other things. DCL seems to really lack for activities in the 18-22 range.

Not sure which line we're going to cruise. We've been looking at Radisson, but not sure they'll have enough going on for DS either.

Anne

I agree with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much for the "young" adult crowd.
Our son came with us until he turned 18 and then he said "I can't go into the teen room anymore, so I don't really want to go"
So of course, we haven't let that stop us from going, but it seems kind of funny to leave him at home when we are out cruisin' and having fun.
Maybe DCL needs to look into activities for this "forgotten" age group.

Originally posted by bnelvr
Are there alot of older teens on the ship? I know that they wanted to take avantage of the spa. Would love to hear from ya.

I thought you had to be over 18 to use the spa......

I presented this exact question at the Steering Committee question and answer session.

Our son was 16 and 17 when we cruised in 2000 and 2001. He had a blast. He did not go with us on on 10/11/03 cruise because he is 19, in college, and mom and dad decided it was time for our first vacation without son. However, we rebooked while on board for next year and included him on the booking.

He will be 20 when we cruise next year and I asked at the Q&A session about activities for this age group. I am afraid he will be disappointed this time around. I said I know 18 and older can take advantage of the spa and the night clubs (but cannot drink). I also know they have a get together for singles and people traveling alone. However, let's face it, most of the people that go to these things are parents or "old folks". What does DCL offer these young adults?

Cruise director, Jackie, basically said they have been getting a lot of feedback about this and are looking into offering more for this age group and hopefully she said by the time we sail they will have addressed this issue. I am still concerned. We just arrived home today and he seems excited about cruising with us again. We do need to check college schedule and such but hopefully everything will work out okay.

I have a daughter that will be "newly" 18 when we cruise. She is a little"different" and I don't think she is going to enjoy the adult activities especially when the rest of her cousins will be in the teen room. Do you know who we can contact to voice our concerns for this young adult age group???

we had some traveling in our group that were older teens and if the point of our cruise was not to spend time with extended family they would be at a loss for fun things to do (that seems strange to say about DCL). unfortunately, i would suggest that people with children just in that age category should book with another cruise line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter