On-line Auctions for Disney Tickets

QUEENCOCOA

Earning My Ears
My family and my friend's family are going on a Disney Bus trip from Cleveland. She has been bidding on-line with EBay on Disney Hopper passes that are being sold that has unused days left on them. Before she actually win these tickets, will there be a problem with her using these tickets at Disney World?

The tickets are non-transferrable and there is no way to know how many days are left until you get to Disney and try to use them. The only safe way is to buy unused tickets is from a family member or friend you trust.

When we went on our trip to WDW in December I purposefully purchased more days than we needed so that I could sell them. At that time we were members of the Magic Kingdom Club and got our discounts.

During December E-bay was making some changes in the way they were handling the sales of WDW tickets so I was only able to list them for about 3-4 days. I was able to sell my tickets for a reasonable price and they people who bought them got what they desired (a 2 day Park Hopper ticket).

It helped defray our costs. However, I really don't think it's that much of a savings. You can purchase discount tickets at several online agencies or by joining the Disney Club.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would purchase the most days on a Park Hopper that I could, use the days I needed and save the other days for a future trip (tickets never expire!) Or you could find a friend here on the DIS who is planning a future trip and maybe they would go in with you on the cost of the original ticket, or maybe a friend or relative who may be planning a trip.

Anyway, the point of my posting is that, yes, good reliable sellers do sell their unused portion of their WDW tickets on Ebay. I would definitely check their feedback, email them about specifics and get a feel for the person, and really think about it. If it's what you truly want....

My 2 cents worth...

It's one of those "buyer beware" situations. The tickets technically are not transferable, so they are supposed to be used by one person until they are used up. There is no way to tell whether the tickets are valid until you get to the park and put them in the reader. And if somehow it is apparent to WDW that you are not the original user, the tickets will be confiscated. (Who knows what all information is coded on the magnetic strip at the back).
I looked on ebay a few months ago out of curiosity and saw some where the bid was pretty much the full price for the ticket, not a bargain at all. Some sellers had good feedback, but I also saw some where the person had not sold anything and had no feedback. I also saw some where the description talked about the families trip to WDW and how they had left over days, but when I looked up prior sales, that person seemed to be making a business of reselling partial tickets. If you decide to risk it, investigate, buyer beware and realize you could be left with nothing.

That is an important aspect of the auctions: Soon the bidders race each other and what you end up paying may be a rip-off amount!

I have posted notes on those tickets being sold by larger businesses before, and the legalities involved. It is an embarrassing situation for anyone to walk up to the entrance and be turned away with a ticket invalidated by a cast member! Let's not even mention that if the ticket has no admission left, go figure who will reimburse your expenses! There is no way to check its validity before you are at the gate.

Just go to the source, buy what you need and you'll be safe.

Wanda

During our 1999 trip to MGM Studios, I went to Guest Relations to get a copy of the pressed penny machine locations. It was around 2pm and I noticed a foreign couple in there. They were told the tickets they tried to use to enter the parks were no good. They said they bought them that day. The CM told them the tickets had just been used that morning and they said no, they had not even been in any of the parks. The CM asked them where they got the tickets from and they said they bought them from someone. SO sad that they tried to save a few dollars and it ended up costing them more in the long run because they were forced to purchase tickets at full price. I say unless you get them from FAMILY that you TRUST, don't take the chance. Better safe than sorry.

We have seen people stopped at the gate with bad passes, not a good scene.
Last March, I used a multiday pass that I had a few days left from my last trip. When I used it, the CM said "Welcome back" and could tell from my card when I had been there last, so they can tell a lot from that little magnetic strip.

Just an FYI - I read that it is against the law to resell unused portions of Disney Hopper passes, as they clearly state they are non-transferrable.

Ebay has closed these auctions as they are reported. If there are still some out there, buyer beware and actually, you should report them to Safe Harbor through Ebay.

:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter