• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On or Off Site- the great debate in my house...HELP

bratray

<font color=red>Disney Planning Addict<br><font co
Hello

This is our second trip to disney (DD 15 yrs & DS 3 yrs) and have not stayed on site

We have a room booked off site in Lake Buena Vista with fridge and micro (will come in handy) I have been doing a lot of browsing recently and am kinda tempted to stay on site (AKL or PO) BUT...........
trying to convince my husband to stay on site and spend more money(even with AP codes) and not have a fridge or micro is proving fruitless!!!

I need help!!

Please can someone give me some good reasons as to why we should stay on site as opposed to off site

Thanks

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

it will make nap time sooo much easier with your DS! that alone is enough reason to stay onsite.

There was a thread about this a while ago. I did a search but kept getting that darn "Web site not responding" notice.
Someone asked for one hundred reasons to stay on site, to help convince her friend. I'm pretty sure she got the 100 reasons!
Have you checked out the Disney Vacation Club Rent/Trade board? You can get some great deals for a studio or even one bedroom at a DVC resort.
Good luck!
flower.gif

Since the park opened, we used to always stay off-site thinking that the extra money for being on-site wasn't worth it. Finally, about three years ago, we stayed on-site and couldn't imagine any other way.

Especially now that the value resorts are available and there are discounts on the others. We've now stayed at ASMo, CSR, and CBR and will be at POR next time.

It was always a shock leaving WDW and going back to the real world of International Drive or wherever we stayed. It's really nice to stay in the world of fantasy 24/7!

I understand the advantages of saving money on off-site hotels BUT....there are so many great rates out there for on site resorts and to me, the benefits outweigh the extra cost.

Staying on-site really brings your vacation to a 24 hour a day level. I really enjoy Disney hotels, especially the AKL! If you can swing a savannah room you will really feel transported. Sometimes we split the stay with offsite and onsite hotels. For instance, we stay our first night at a cheap offsite hotel if we are arriving late anyway. That way we can pre-check in at our Disney hotel early in the day and enjoy the atmosphere or pool before our room is ready. Additionally, while you most likely won't get a microwave in a Disney room you CAN request (and for a small fee) get a refrigerator in your room to keep breakfast items,e tc.

One last thing, the time you will save in transportation is something to consider as well. The AKL is in a rather remote location but Disney tranportation is really convienient. If you can find a room closer to your favorite park (the Poly for Magic Kingdom for example) you will really enjoy the ease of getting around.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation wherever you stay. Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

Are you renting a car? Or driving? I wouldn't stay offsite without a car, but you could skip it by staying onsite.

With 2 children at very different ages, you might want to split up on occassion. And the onsite transportation will allow you to do it easily.

Renting points from a DVC member & choosing Old Key West is probably the cheapest way to stay onsite & still get a small fridge & microwave. The studios there have 2 queen beds. Try the DVC rent/trade forum for info. People usually charge $10 per point, and the number of points needed depends on the time of year, day of the week & resort. weekends are more than sunday through thursday.

DVC point calculator

We have enjoyed staying offsite, especially for the space, but you really need to try onsite to compare :) Not that this helps you, but Lake Buena Vista is a nice area to stay offsite !

Gillian, have you bought points from a DVC member before? I've never thought of doing that. So, if a stay costs 124 points and it's $10 a point, is that the complete cost? I mean, are taxes added on to that?

I thought that I saw on the DVC board that these units don't include housekeeping, is that the case?

Thanks for any info that you can give on the process.

Rick, you are correct. You would need to find out how much the point total is. (There is a point calculator here on the DIS) and then you can purchase points for around $9 - $10 a point. That is all the cost is, no tax. A studio will have a fridge and a microwave in it, the studio is about the same size as a deluxe room. A one bedroom has a full kitchen with a fridge, stove, microwave, and a dishwaser and there is also a washer and dryer which come in really handy.

Housekeeping is really kind of strange the way it works. If you are there less then 8 days, you will have someone come in on your 4th day and take out the trash and give you fresh towels. If you are there more than 8 days, someone will come in on the 4th day and do a full cleaning and on the 8th day they will take out the trash and give you fresh towels. Honestly, it is kind of nice to not worry about someone coming in your room all time. If you want you can pay extra for Housekeeping daily. The cost is $25 a day for a studio and $30 a day for a 1 bedroom. You could do it on any or all days if you want.

I started the 100 reasons to stay onsite thread and it helped to convince my friends!!!! We are leaving in 10 days!! And of course our friends are staying with us ONSITE.:p :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

With a 15 yo, I would suggest a new reason for staying onsite - security. I feel very secure allowing my kids (17 and 15) to roam almost at will (they do have to check in keep me informed of where they are going), but I know they are safer at Disney than at some malls. They can get on the Disney transportation and don't have to stay tied to dad. And, if something does go wrong, there is usually a CM every 100 feet on Diseny property (or it seems like it). Just my thoughts.

I stayed on property since I was three. We took a trip in Sept. for 5 days and since DBF and I are trying to save money we decided to stay off property. I hated it!! I didnt like that the busses only came three times a day. And I felt so much more secure at Disney!! Even though it was $20/night cheaper,i dont think I wil stay offsite again!

Terry gave you a great description og how DVC works! We also found we liked no housekeeping. You don't have to worry about leaving stuff out. We just made the bed in the morning.

Depending on when you go, and if a studio is big enough for you, renting points can be a great deal. Even bumping up to a more expensive property (basically everything other than OKW!) can still be more affordable than a room in the same resort. For example, in september, BCV was $120 for a studio sun-thursday vs ~$170+ taxes for a room at the beach club. With a weekend stay included it's pretty close in price.

No taxes!! so 124 points would be around $1240. You could offer $9 pp.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions!!

we will have a rental van while there
i am leaning towards 3 nites off 3 nites at AKL!! :p

what is this thing about points? this is the first i have heard of these- please can someone explain further - and what are the points used for?... just hotel rooms.

thanks

lisa

:Pinkbounc :jester: :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by bratray

what is this thing about points? this is the first i have heard of these- please can someone explain further - and what are the points used for?... just hotel rooms.

Points are used for stays in Disney Vacation Club. Just go to the DVC board to learn all you need to know. Beware! Once you get the idea, you will want to join!!!:jester:

You think? That's why I put off the tour until the last day and didn't have time to take it! Starting a kid in college this fall - I would have been in a heap of trouble if I had financed a DVC!!!

But I love the Swan so I'm in good shape anyway!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter