On site Hotels

JANBERRY

Earning My Ears
We are plannig a trip for next summer to California. Please can you tell me the advantages of staying on-site at DCA. Do they have extra magic hours there etc.

Thanks

They do have early entry, charge to your room privileges (I don't think Downtown Disney is included though), and I think there might be limited package delivery. I'm not sure if you can make PS's earlier if you're staying onsite.

For me personally, while I am one of those who MUST stay onsite at WDW, I don't consider it as much of a necessity at DL. If I can afford it, I will stay onsite, but if I'm on a tighter budget, I am still happy at an offsite hotel. A lot of offsite hotels are just as convenient as the onsite ones, and the added benefits of staying onsite are things that aren't really critical factors for me.

I do feel that staying onsite adds to the experience, but again, I enjoy myself just as well if I stay offsite. Oh, and it sounds like you might be talking about the Grand Californian since you mentioned DCA -- one added benefit (which we found extremely convenient when we stayed there) is that they have a separate entry to DCA that's only for resort guests. It's kind of unclear as to whether it's only for GC guests, or any Disney resort guest.

The DCA entrance at GC is for all Disney resort guests and the hotel is built right in to Downtown Disney/DCA, very convenient! DLH is quite a walk but we really enjoyed it; while the GC is very lovely, we like the atmosphere at DLH better.

I agree that at WDW it is much better to stay on site than at Disneyland. If you have the money than the Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotels are both great places to stay and they add another Disney level to the atmosphere of your trip. If you want to save money though there are many motels that are as close, or closer than the Disneyland Hotel. None is really closer than the Grand Californian.
Here is a arial view of the area.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html
Ouyr favorite places to stay are the Howard Johnson, The Candy Cane (is on the photo but not listed), and the Best Western Park Place Inn all of which are a 5-10 minute walk to the front gates of the parks.

we just returned from 5 days at DL. The 1st night we stayed off property at the Anaheim Desert Inn and then next three nights at the DL hotel. Besides the early entry there is not much of an advantage to staying on site for us. We are the type of family that spends most of the day in the park. The hotel room is not that important to me. The DL hotel does have big rooms compared to the average hotel room. We have stayed at about 8-10 off site hotels and have not had too much to complain about any of them.

I have to agree that at WDW it is so much better to stay on property. Some off site hotels are a closer walk to the front gate then the DL hotel is. At WDW there transportation system makes it all worth it.

JANBERRY said:
We are plannig a trip for next summer to California. Please can you tell me the advantages of staying on-site at DCA. Do they have extra magic hours there etc.

Thanks

We just stayed at both Embassy Suites Buena Park and DL Hotel. DL Hotel was a bit more convenient because we didn't have to check our watch to catch a shuttle and you have the "Disney Magic" element. I also liked entering DCA through the GC entrance - very short line - but I rarely took advantage of this because I usually entered DL first since they open earlier and then crossed over at the main entrance. The monorail quit running before and during fireworks and after there was a very long line, so I can't say that was more convenient. The entry to the monorail from DTD was usually quite a wait so the alternative walk was a long hot trek. Of course you would be a bit closer for walking if you stayed at GCH, but when staying there it was still a long walk with tired kids.

My stay at Embassy Buena Park exceeded my expectations. They have a private shuttle that will take you to Knotts, DL, DL Hotel for Character Meals, DTD, the grocery, etc. Pretty much anything within a 5 mile radius or to DL. DL was a 15 minute ride in air-conditioning and the shuttle left on the hour. We got a full breakfast for my family of six including a made to order omelet or eggs every morning. Also a reception each evening with snacks and drinks and you could order a huge pizza for about $12. You had to take a break from DL to do this, but we were so refreshed on the hotter days after doing so, it was worth the effort. The other bonus was having a micro, fridge, and freezer. We froze water and crystal light for the next day after buying a case of spring water at the grocery store. 30 cents beats $3 any day. At the DL hotel, milk was 1.75 for a small carton, and sode 2.75 - in other words, all food found within the resort will be at park prices. It really adds up for a family of 6. People get Albertsons to delever to the DLH, but the fridge is so small that it is really impractical. The Embassy hotel itself was only $130 a night for a poolside room with brkfast incl. I'm glad we stayed at DLH, but I probably won't do it again unless money is no object (and then I'd be at the GCH concierce).

I've stayed across the street on Harbor twice, but I can't say that worked or didn't. It was just ok. Still scrambling for breakfast, hotels were a bit run-down, long walk, etc.

No early entry for on-site hotel guests. You get EE to fantasyland for 1 day with park hopper plus and toontown EE with certain packages booked with AAA or DL travel. Aside from being on-site, the only perceivalbe difference from staying at the resort hotel is the special entrance to DCA and express monorail boarding (not really express, just a different line).

I hope this helps! :goodvibes

I have stayed on and off site at DL. I didn't like our stay at Paradise Pier. We had a much better stay at the Anaheim Hilton. Our room at the Hilton was a corner room that overlooked DL and we could see the fireworks every night. The price was much less than PP. The room at PP was ok but I have stayed in much nicer hotels for the same money. We also didn't care for the restaurants and the elevator was so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I just put my down payment on an on-site package through AAA and the lady told me that we only get one day EE, even though we are staying at the PP. Is she misinformed? I would hate to get there early on the 2nd day and end up waiting or holding up the line because we couldn't get in early twice. Is it just through the Monorail you can get in early?
:earsgirl:

disneylvr2 said:
I just put my down payment on an on-site package through AAA and the lady told me that we only get one day EE, even though we are staying at the PP. Is she misinformed? I would hate to get there early on the 2nd day and end up waiting or holding up the line because we couldn't get in early twice. Is it just through the Monorail you can get in early?
:earsgirl:

Your travel agent is correct - you will only get one EE per ticket for Fantasyland (only certain rides are operating), and with AAA you will also get EE to Toontown for 1 day. The monorail will let you in exactly 1 hour early, but I found it quicker to walk to the park. There is an on-site AAA benefit, at least there was when I booked, and that is unlimited fastpass privileges. You can get a fastpass for every ride in both parks rather than just for 1 ride at a time when you book with AAA and stay on-site. They did away with EE for hotel guests years ago, although you can get in marginally earlier to DCA through the GC entrance than others can from the main gate.

Have fun! :flower:

We were at the GC three weeks ago. We were told at check-in that staying onsite gave you EE. We also saw people at the gate for EE showing their on-site proof. I don't know how long this is in effect for, but it was in effect in August.

Howard Johnson is my favorite off-site hotel. It's walking distance, but not quite as convenient as BW Park Place Inn, which I've also stayed at and liked. However, I prefer HoJo for overall value. It seems to be less expensive than BWPPI, and has nicer grounds and feels more like a hotel than a motel. It also has a convenient on-site restaurant (although it's changed hands several times).

Last year I tried Priceline and got the Hyatt Regency Orange County for $44. Even with parking and fees, it was about the same, or maybe even less, than it would have cost if we stayed at HoJo. It was not walking distance, but we found the shuttle to be extremely convenient even though it made a couple of stops along the way. The Hyatt was also very convenient to lots of restaurants and a Target too.

EE has been happening for resort guests on an unofficial basis. However, it is not a guaranteed or promoted benefit (we used it at the end of August). Your best bet: call shortly before you go, and then ask again when you check in.

zukeeper said:
Your travel agent is correct - you will only get one EE per ticket for Fantasyland (only certain rides are operating), and with AAA you will also get EE to Toontown for 1 day. The monorail will let you in exactly 1 hour early, but I found it quicker to walk to the park. There is an on-site AAA benefit, at least there was when I booked, and that is unlimited fastpass privileges. You can get a fastpass for every ride in both parks rather than just for 1 ride at a time when you book with AAA and stay on-site. They did away with EE for hotel guests years ago, although you can get in marginally earlier to DCA through the GC entrance than others can from the main gate.

Have fun! :flower:

Yes, we stayed on-site in Aug. too and were told we could use EE every day it was offered during our stay. We could have used it 3 times, but only used it twice because we had PS for breakfast one of the EE mornings. It sounds like this was a limited time thing and they aren't offering it anymore.

I am at Paradise Pier right now! We are in a 12th floor park view room and it is absolutely wonderful. Its my daughter's birthday and they had balloons, goodie bags for both kids and an autographed picture from Minnie and Mickey. Then we got to the room they had a plate of 4 huge Mickey rice krispie treats plus chocolates on the turned down beds. The staff has been wonderful. Normally I prefer the DLH but the service we have received so far has been above any expectations I might have had. We were told at check in we would have EE privilidges all days it is offered. Hopefully they will continue this trend. Looking forward to getting to the parks early tomorrow, I'll try to post some daily trip reports. Also high speed internet access is offered and is included in the daily resort fee of $10.

I have only stayed offsite twice and this is my 7th onsite stay. I must say if the service continues to be this good I may never stay offsite again!

Amy&Dan said:
I am at Paradise Pier right now! We are in a 12th floor park view room and it is absolutely wonderful. Its my daughter's birthday and they had balloons, goodie bags for both kids and an autographed picture from Minnie and Mickey. Then we got to the room they had a plate of 4 huge Mickey rice krispie treats plus chocolates on the turned down beds. The staff has been wonderful. Normally I prefer the DLH but the service we have received so far has been above any expectations I might have had. We were told at check in we would have EE privilidges all days it is offered. Hopefully they will continue this trend. Looking forward to getting to the parks early tomorrow, I'll try to post some daily trip reports. Also high speed internet access is offered and is included in the daily resort fee of $10.

I have only stayed offsite twice and this is my 7th onsite stay. I must say if the service continues to be this good I may never stay offsite again!

Glad you are having such a wonderful stay and Happy Birthday to your dd!! That's great that you will be able to take advantage of EE every day it's offered during your stay. It's strange that there is such mixed info on that.
How are the crowds? We just got back over 2 weeks ago and are already trying to decide what time of year to go next time. We didn't mind late Aug. crowds (wasn't too bad), but will probably go off season next time. :)

We stayed for 4 nights at PPH last week and LOVED it. The main reason we booked on site was to get the unlimited AAA fastpasses...SO WORTH IT!!! Also, we just like the comfort level of knowing we stay in a Disney property. There is no specific reason why we like it, I am sure we would get just as good service, clean room, etc at many other off site hotels, but it is a personal preference.

DLovinFam said:
Glad you are having such a wonderful stay and Happy Birthday to your dd!! That's great that you will be able to take advantage of EE every day it's offered during your stay. It's strange that there is such mixed info on that.
How are the crowds? We just got back over 2 weeks ago and are already trying to decide what time of year to go next time. We didn't mind late Aug. crowds (wasn't too bad), but will probably go off season next time. :)

Day two at Paradise Pier and still loving it. Have not had one problem, staff has been exceptional. Our stay here last year was very positive but this one has been even better. The only thing I miss about the DLH is the Neverland Pool!

As far as crowds they were incredibly low today. The longest wait we had was for Peter Pan this afternoon around 5:30 and that was only 15 minutes. No more than 10 minutes for Space, Indy or Buzz. TOT was walk on, we rode it two times in a row and would have ridden it again but my daughter needed a bathroom break! Space Mountain is incredible! I will post a trip report when I get home. I am sitting here at the desk looking at a dark DCA!

Amy

P.S. We did EE today and were told by the CM at the gate that as hotel guests we were eligible any day they had it.

Amy&Dan said:
Day two at Paradise Pier and still loving it. Have not had one problem, staff has been exceptional. Our stay here last year was very positive but this one has been even better. The only thing I miss about the DLH is the Neverland Pool!

As far as crowds they were incredibly low today. The longest wait we had was for Peter Pan this afternoon around 5:30 and that was only 15 minutes. No more than 10 minutes for Space, Indy or Buzz. TOT was walk on, we rode it two times in a row and would have ridden it again but my daughter needed a bathroom break! Space Mountain is incredible! I will post a trip report when I get home. I am sitting here at the desk looking at a dark DCA!

Amy

P.S. We did EE today and were told by the CM at the gate that as hotel guests we were eligible any day they had it.

Sounds great! We will definitely be going off season next time! Enjoy the rest of your stay and I will be looking forward to your trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter