• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One Pound

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
Did you know that traditionally, one pound of British currency promised to pay the bearer one pound of silver from the Bank of England?

Did you know that traditionally, one pound of British currency promised to pay the bearer one pound of silver from the Bank of England?
Were they pound notes or coins which contained this promise? When our money system stated you could be paid in gold, or silver, it was written on the paper currency. I actually have a few of these old notes in my small collection. The dollar coins were made of silver for a long time, so there wouldn’t have been a reason to exchange them.

Were they pound notes or coins which contained this promise? When our money system stated you could be paid in gold, or silver, it was written on the paper currency. I actually have a few of these old notes in my small collection. The dollar coins were made of silver for a long time, so there wouldn’t have been a reason to exchange them.
Paper money I believe. They state that the Bank of England must pay the bearer upon presentation of the pound note one pound of currency - in this case, silver. Not any more, sadly!

[ETA] Could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident.

Currency in the USA USED to be payable in gold or silver depending upon the notes (i.e. gold certificates or silver certificates). The ability to trade them in for a precious metal was eliminated many years ago.

The value of the metal in coins at one time was worth more then their face value so it became illegal to melt down coins for the metal they contained. Pennies, for example, are no longer made from solid copper but are a blend of various less valuable metals. Probably online somewhere you can see what the % are of whatever they and various other coins now contain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter