• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One time use points considered direct when booking?

I believe I was told no previously when I inquired about this subject.

I was given OKW points when I purchased them so the 11 month booking window would not have mattered much.

I believe I was told no previously when I inquired about this subject.

I was given OKW points when I purchased them so the 11 month booking window would not have mattered much.
You can't buy OTU points until the 7 month mark anyway.

If the OP is asking if they booked a stay with OTU points would they allow you to book Moonlight Magic, my guess would be no (unless of course you also own Direct points / grandfathered resale).

You can't buy OTU points until the 7 month mark anyway.
Correct but if you have to cancel your trip they show up in your account to use during that use year. I was thinking if you had cancelled the trip early on you would possibly be able to use them at the 11 month booking window.

For example sakes you have a Feb use year.
You schedule a trip going Feb 2-5 that requires the max 24 OTUP on 7/3/22 (7 months out)
You end up having to cancel the trip on 7/5/22 the points return to your Feb 23 points plus the OTUP
Your OTUP happen to be AKL, BWV or something that needs a 11 month Window.
Now you can grab a Standard Studio for F&W at BWV or value studio at AKL using those OTUP
Very unlikely scenario but that was what I was thinking.

I honestly don't think I even saw the direct part lol :)
If the OP is asking if they booked a stay with OTU points would they allow you to book Moonlight Magic, my guess would be no (unless of course you also own Direct points / grandfathered resale).
Good point.

Now I wonder if the OP was a white card owner of RIV trying to stay at one of the O14 properties if the OTUP would allow them to stay.

Are one time use points purchased from DVC considered direct points when booking.

If what you are asking is whether or not you can buy OTU points and use them to book RIV or future resorts?

I have read that if you have a restricted membership, then you will not be able to do it. If your membership has access to RIV already, then OTU points would be good there as well.

Correct but if you have to cancel your trip they show up in your account to use during that use year. I was thinking if you had cancelled the trip early on you would possibly be able to use them at the 11 month booking window.

For example sakes you have a Feb use year.
You schedule a trip going Feb 2-5 that requires the max 24 OTUP on 7/3/22 (7 months out)
You end up having to cancel the trip on 7/5/22 the points return to your Feb 23 points plus the OTUP
Your OTUP happen to be AKL, BWV or something that needs a 11 month Window.
Now you can grab a Standard Studio for F&W at BWV or value studio at AKL using those OTUP
Very unlikely scenario but that was what I was thinking.

I honestly don't think I even saw the direct part lol :)

Good point.

Now I wonder if the OP was a white card owner of RIV trying to stay at one of the O14 properties if the OTUP would allow them to stay.

OTU points will not give your home resort advantage at the resort they come from, even if you cancel.

The system is set up to prevent that. It’s one of reasons why most owners have to call to use transferred points within home resort period

Am I understanding correctly that you cannot use/buy OTU points at 11 months? Even with it obviously being your home resort at the 11 month window?

Am I understanding correctly that you cannot use/buy OTU points at 11 months? Even with it obviously being your home resort at the 11 month window?
No, you can buy OTU points only while in the process of making a reservation at 7 months.

Now, if you cancel that reservation and want to book your home resort at 11 months, you might or might not be able to use those OTU points, because they may not come from the same home resort. OTU points are Disney's own points that they sell to us, and they come from whatever home resort points Disney has on hand at the time.

Bummer, but fortunately since we would be using these at AKV I'm guessing we can make this work. We can just book one less night at 11 months and see if we can add the extra day at 7 months.

Bummer, but fortunately since we would be using these at AKV I'm guessing we can make this work. We can just book one less night at 11 months and see if we can add the extra day at 7 months.

The thing about OtU points is you have no idea which resort they will be from. That is why they are good only at 7 months. DVC gives which ever resort they have in stock that will work.

When buying, DVC sets up a temporary contract in to your account for use. If the reservation you bought them for..can only buy when booking something..gets canceled, they will expire at the end of that UY and still only good for 7 months or less reservation.

You do not get any benefit for home resort advantage for those points.

Agreed - - There's no benefit to me, if at 7 months I'm able to take the needed points from one of my other resorts.
What benefit is it, then, to use OTU points ????

Agreed - - There's no benefit to me, if at 7 months I'm able to take the needed points from one of my other resorts.

It saves you some of your own points for the next trip which means they can be used at the 11 month booking.

My friend had no points to borrow and we had a three night trip planned in a one bedroom last week. Another friend could come and with the points she did have in this UY, SHE BOUGHT THE OTU points to get a two bedroom for the three nights. Actually, we three friends paid for the points. We were happy to have the two bedroom!

Some people do not have tons of points. Think of the people that only go once every 3 years. Buying that extra 24 points may get them an extra 1-2 nights depending on the time of year and accommodation that they have chosen.

You also have people that do not want to pull from another contract ie VGC or BCV to be able to book something at the 7 month window and therefore the OTUP are well worth it to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter