"Online check in" line took FOREVER....

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
We'd never tried this before and thought we'd test it out to see.

DH and buddies arrived for the EE Challenge this past weekend and even after checking in online from home, it still took 35 minutes with a CM to get keys and welcome folder.

What's the advantage? :confused3

The only thing DH could think of was that the room was ready at 10 AM which has never happened to us.

I'm glad they got into their room early, but that really had nothing to do with the online check-in process. Just like "regular" check in, sometimes the room is ready early and sometimes it's not. (Perhaps it's best not to tell DH too much, lol. I answer questions my DH has, but otherwise, I've found it's best not to "burden" him with too much information). ;) :teeth:

Sorry it took so long for them to get checked in. We've never had to spend that much time with a CM when we've used the online process. When I mention we are frequent guests, the CM usually skips all the "usual" recitations and we get our stuff and are on our way in just about 5 minutes or so. Maybe they are still having some problems related to the recent system upgrades. Or maybe they didn't get the packets done ahead of time for some reason.

Hope your next experience is better.

It is hit or miss for us. Sometimes online check in is quick, and sometimes it takes as long or longer than regular check in. We have had the longest waits at Kidani Village to do online check in.

We have used online check in many times and never had a wait like that. Usually it takes 10 -15 minutes at the most.

I assume the delay was simply due to other guests being there before them? That might have happened even if they didn't do online checkin. And then at the end of the wait they would have had to wait longer to get their packets/tickets etc etc.

That said, when we did it in December (we were there as they were switching over to their new systems, yikes!), we would stand in the line for online checkin, but then if the normal CMs were free, they would call us over. Thought that was nice of them.

We've had good luck with online check-in (BLT, OKW, SSR, VWL). This past week's trip to Kidani I had completely forgotten about doing the online check-in because of a stressful week. I was kicking myself when I got to Kidani because the "online check-in" line had only one person in it and I had like 5-6 people in front of me in the regular line. Hopefully your next experience is better because we have averaged 5-10 min with online check-in in recent past.

we would stand in the line for online checkin, but then if the normal CMs were free, they would call us over. Thought that was nice of them.

This happened to me on May 5 but in reverse. I was in the regular line at the WL (which was LONG !) but the "on-line" CM's were not nearly as busy and calling guests over as they were next in line. Nice.

I have had good and bad experience with the "On-line check-in line" I think a lot has to do with the experience of the cast member. The alternative is to go in the regular line. Better luck next time.

I've not had luck with the online check-in line. Usually there is someone there before me who did NOT do the online check in and has a problem....that takes forever to resolve. If I'd chosen to go in the regular line my check-in would've been done much more quickly. This has happened multiple times, most recently this past Thursday at the Contemporary/BLT.---Kathy

It does not seem to matter IME. Sometimes I get through quickly and other times not so quickly. Whether or not I have done online check in makes no difference.

We've never done online check-in. I just don't think about doing it before we leave.

Our last trip (in April), we arrived very late and our packet had already been prepared, just as if we had done the online check-in. I was maybe 5 minutes with the CM. By the time I came out and met the rest of the family, our groceries & luggage were being loaded into the van for the trip to our room.

Maybe arriving late is the secret to fast check-ins. :rolleyes:

Our experience with on-line check-in was such that we saw no advantage over regular check-in. What we've observed in our visits the last couple of years is, as more people use online check-in, the line for online has gotten longer while the one for regular check-in has gotten shorter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter