Only one day at Disneyland - WHAT to do?

tabewhite

Earning My Ears
We'll be California from the 12th through the 22nd of September visiting relatives. I think that we are scoring free passes through a friend, so we'll take advantage of that! Not sure what day we'll actually go. But my question is - what would YOU do if you only had one day at DL? We'll be staying in the Sherman Oaks area so I think that we have a bit of a drive each way. My children are 4.5 and 6.5, so I am little concerned about them only being able to handle but so much. My 4.5 daughter would love to see any princesses and they both would love any characters. Should I try to attend a character function (if, so which?) or do you just run into them in the park? Is there a section we should stick to and just enjoy the rides/attraction in one area? Should we plan to eat at a certain time (is the Priority Seating?) or can you just pick up something on the fly?

Also - I have a confession to make - I may be the only adult who had NEVER been to any Disney park (Gasp!), so I have NO idea what I am asking about!

Thanks for any help you can offer to this uber-newbie!

tabewhite

tabewhite said:
We'll be California from the 12th through the 22nd of September visiting relatives. I think that we are scoring free passes through a friend, so we'll take advantage of that! Not sure what day we'll actually go. But my question is - what would YOU do if you only had one day at DL? We'll be staying in the Sherman Oaks area so I think that we have a bit of a drive each way. My children are 4.5 and 6.5, so I am little concerned about them only being able to handle but so much. My 4.5 daughter would love to see any princesses and they both would love any characters. Should I try to attend a character function (if, so which?) or do you just run into them in the park? Is there a section we should stick to and just enjoy the rides/attraction in one area? Should we plan to eat at a certain time (is the Priority Seating?) or can you just pick up something on the fly?
My kids are now 9, 10, 12 and 13 and we just went on a four day trip in August. My kid's first trip to DL was five years ago when the younger ones were similar in age to your two. Based on that experience, here are some ideas:

DL Rides:
1. Pirates of the Carribean (might scare younger ones - depends on the child)
2. Haunted Mansion (might scare younger ones - depends on the child)
3. Splash Mtn
4. Big Thunder Mtn RR (a fun roller coaster - depends on the child)
5. Matterhorn (a fun roller coaster - depends on the child)
6. Small World
7. Peter Pan (do this first thing in the morning - the line gets long)
8. Alice in Wonderland
9. Dumbo (do this first thing in the morning - the line gets long)
10. StoryBook Land Canal (we try to do this in the evening, before it gets dark)
11. Mr Toad's Wild Ride
12. Tiki Room (do this in the afternoon when it is hot outside)
13. Jungle Cruise
14. Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters
15. Winnie the Pooh

DL Shows:

1. Fantasmic - this is an outstanding show performed in the evening, but you need to get there early (maybe an hour early) to see it. It may not be worth it for a one-day trip.

2. Parade of Dreams - DL usually has two parades per day. You can get a pretty good spot 30 minutes ahead of time in some parade locations. Again, it may not be worth it for a one-day trip. On the other hand, it may be a ncie way to relax for awhile in the afternoon (lately the parades have beenat 3:15PM and 7PM).

Food:

This depends on what type of person you are. We usually bring a lot of snacks and wing it on meals. I would not recommend a lengthy sit-down meal for a one-day trip. There are priority seating reservations for some places if you want to sit down, although it may be too late for Sept. Typically we try to avoid eating at peak times like right at noon. We will snack and eat lunch at 11AM or 2PM.

OK, if you are only going for one day and it is your first trip, you should probably just stick with Disneyland itself. However, if you have an itch to also see Disney California Adventure (DCA), the entrance is 100-150 yards from the DL entrance and you can buy a parkhopper ticket to go back and forth.

DCA Rides:

1. Soarin Over California
2. Animation Studio (especially Turtle Talk with Crush)
3. Grizzly River Run (only if you feel you have time and want to get wet - otherwise skip it)

There are many other intesting things to do at DCA, and if you were going for two days I would list them. But if it is a one-day trip, the above is enough.

One huge tip: If you can find a way to get to the DL gate 30 minutes before the park opens and get in line, you will get so much more done. In the first hour or two the lines in the park are short and you can really do a lot of rides. One day on our August trip we went on 29 rides. We used FastPass alot. If you get there early and focus on rides in the morning, I would bet you can get on close to 20 rides. If you are driving in and parking, this will mean getting to DL even earlier than 30 minutes.

Have fun!

tabewhite said:
Also - I have a confession to make - I may be the only adult who had NEVER been to any Disney park (Gasp!), so I have NO idea what I am asking about!
Best advice to an absolute newbie: make your first ride the round trip on the Disneyland Railroad so you can get an idea of the layout and the scope of the place. Don't get off at any of the stations until you get back to Main Street.

Slow down, and enjoy it all. Hit what you can. Go counter clockwise through the park. Most people go clockwise. As for charecters, read the map/guide for times and places. Enjoy, enjoy enjoy. It's magical!!

I would hit Fantasyland early-your kids should enjoy all the rides there. You can also run into some Princesses near and around the castle by late morning. There's a Snow White show in Fantasyland, as well. Your map will have the times. While you're waiting in lines, read your map and get familiar with the map, check showtimes you might be interested in, etc...

As far as food goes, I would skip anything sit down since you're only there the one day. There are many walk in places you can eat at. Pizza Port or Club Buzz in Tomorrowland or Village Haus in Fantasyland are good for kids.

jencav5 said:
I would hit Fantasyland early-your kids should enjoy all the rides there. You can also run into some Princesses near and around the castle by late morning. There's a Snow White show in Fantasyland, as well. Your map will have the times. While you're waiting in lines, read your map and get familiar with the map, check showtimes you might be interested in, etc...

As far as food goes, I would skip anything sit down since you're only there the one day. There are many walk in places you can eat at. Pizza Port or Club Buzz in Tomorrowland or Village Haus in Fantasyland are good for kids.

I totally agree! when my son was 5, his favorite was fantasyland (he rode Dumbo three times!)

If you can get to a character breakfast first thing, I'd take your children as they would love it! We've only gone to Goofy's kitchen at the DL hotel.

Have a great trip!

Sorry - disagree with a fair bit of the above.

1 day, never been before, 2 young kids - charging around trying to see everything is a recipe for disaster.

I would NOT visit DCA - it has some great rides, but the best 4 (Tower of Terror, Soarin, Screamin and Grizzly) all have height restrictions which would put them off limits for the smaller child.

In one day I would go to Disneyland only, and concentrate on Fantasyland and a few other key rides like Pooh, Pirates, Haunted Mansion (which is not that scary) and trying to see a few characters.

A character breakfast might be a good start to the day, but if there's a long drive to get there you won't make the first sittings and will thus miss out on getting into DL as soon as it opens.

So, on balance, I'd give the meals a miss as they will take up too much of your precious time.

Go for enjoyment, a look at the park, some key rides, but on one day with 2 small kids a "commando" plan for the whole complex is a bad idea. Save that for another visit.

But you sure you can't swing a 2nd day. Perhaps with an over night stay at a cheap off site non-Disney resort?

I agree with Lucy Kate. A character meal could really eat up a lot of time. You can see plenty of characters in the parks. Check your guide when you get there, they have listings of where you can find the characters. Best advice is to get there early. If the park opens later than 8:00 a.m. the gates will open a half hour early and you can get on Main Street. If 8:00 is the official opening they will not open the gates any earlier. If you get there this early, you can get maps, guides and see some characters on an uncrowded Main Street while the crowds are low before the park fills up. I also agree with LucyKate on possibly skipping DCA. Better to do what you can at Disneyland. I would visit Disneyland's website, they have a lot of info. Also, I would buy the "Birnbaums Guide to Disneyland". This book saved us on our first trip (kids were 7 and 9 at the time and we had never been with them at all and DH and I had only been one time each as kids). It has all the height restrictions for each ride plus info on fastpass, dining and much more. You can check it out at the Library or buy it, its under $15. Just go and see what its all about, if you are like most of the folks on this board, you'll love it and come home and book another trip! Good luck!

LucyKate said:
Sorry - disagree with a fair bit of the above.

1 day, never been before, 2 young kids - charging around trying to see everything is a recipe for disaster.

I would NOT visit DCA - it has some great rides, but the best 4 (Tower of Terror, Soarin, Screamin and Grizzly) all have height restrictions which would put them off limits for the smaller child.

In one day I would go to Disneyland only, and concentrate on Fantasyland and a few other key rides like Pooh, Pirates, Haunted Mansion (which is not that scary) and trying to see a few characters.

A character breakfast might be a good start to the day, but if there's a long drive to get there you won't make the first sittings and will thus miss out on getting into DL as soon as it opens.

So, on balance, I'd give the meals a miss as they will take up too much of your precious time.

Go for enjoyment, a look at the park, some key rides, but on one day with 2 small kids a "commando" plan for the whole complex is a bad idea. Save that for another visit.

But you sure you can't swing a 2nd day. Perhaps with an over night stay at a cheap off site non-Disney resort?
I could only guess you were referring to my post here. Good point about height restrictions. I haven't had to deal with those for the last several years and did not realize Soarin even had one. But I seem to remember seeing four-year olds on Soarin last month.

I would agree that DCA should be skipped in a case like this (as I recommended). However, if a person really wanted to check out DCA, I think my two recommendations would be proper.

The fifteen rides I listed were not all "must do's", but were a range of ideas (as I stated). Even so, I would not consider actually doing 15 rides as commando, even with youngsters. Fifteen rides is pretty easily done (especially if you arrive early), with time left over for characters and a parade or show. Twenty-five would definitely fall in the commando range, and probably twenty as well.

Your recommendation about focusing on FL is a good idea. Looking again at my list, I should have added the Mad Tea Party to my list of ideas for rides. Except for the Casey Jr RR, the FL rides which I did not list (Pinnochio/Snow White) look pretty much the same as some others, but are not as good. I would say time would be better spent elsewhere in DL than on these.

Another ride I should have included on my idea list is HISTA.

Amy&Dan said:
I agree with Lucy Kate. A character meal could really eat up a lot of time. You can see plenty of characters in the parks. Check your guide when you get there, they have listings of where you can find the characters. Best advice is to get there early. If the park opens later than 8:00 a.m. the gates will open a half hour early and you can get on Main Street. If 8:00 is the official opening they will not open the gates any earlier. If you get there this early, you can get maps, guides and see some characters on an uncrowded Main Street while the crowds are low before the park fills up. I also agree with LucyKate on possibly skipping DCA. Better to do what you can at Disneyland. I would visit Disneyland's website, they have a lot of info. Also, I would buy the "Birnbaums Guide to Disneyland". This book saved us on our first trip (kids were 7 and 9 at the time and we had never been with them at all and DH and I had only been one time each as kids). It has all the height restrictions for each ride plus info on fastpass, dining and much more. You can check it out at the Library or buy it, its under $15. Just go and see what its all about, if you are like most of the folks on this board, you'll love it and come home and book another trip! Good luck!
Regarding FastPass, the only rides from my list of ideas for which you would want to get a FastPass are Splash Mtn, Buzz Lightyear, and (if you were inspired to try a rollercoaster) Big Thunder Mtn RR. IMO, if one got to DL early, and got a FastPass for each of these three, my idea list of 15 rides could be accomplished pretty easily with a lot of time to spare.

I also suggested skipping DCA but I felt like a traitor since I love that park! I think the height restriction on Soarin may be 42". Okay, Hydroguy you got me! What the heck is HISTA?! I suggested Birnbaums because it has a section/page explaining fastpass, the most commonly misunderstood aspect of Disney theme parks. I agree with your list and actually think all of that could be done with some foreknowledge. I was agreeing with Lucy's part about skipping character meals and possibly DCA. If the OP does do DCA and has any Bugs Life fans in the family that might be a possibilty. I also might suggest splitting the group up some so the older kid can experience things the little one might not want or be able to ride. Also, the OP is going in an off season and I could see getting quite a bit done. Of course we are park commandos so I may possibly have a tainted view of all of this.

tabewhite:

I hope all of these posts aren't too overwhelming for you! The best thing about DL is the "magic", and for a 4 & 6 year old, that is all they will care about. When you walk in, down main street, I'm sure they will be awe struck by the castle, and when they see their favorite character, they will be happy. If they watch Disney movies, like most kids, they will love the FL rides. If you have some of the older movies like Pinochio, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, or Dumbo you may want to have them watch one to get them ready for the rides inspired by them. Our kids love the "fantasy" and these rides are their favorites. It is just like being a part of the story. You can also go online to Disneyland.com and see the rides they have, time schedules, etc... If I were you I'd go online and check that out and then not worry about it. When you get there you will know what we're all talking about! Your kids will tell you where to go, anyway-mine always do! :flower:

Amy&Dan said:
I also suggested skipping DCA but I felt like a traitor since I love that park! I think the height restriction on Soarin may be 42". Okay, Hydroguy you got me! What the heck is HISTA?!
HISTA = Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

All four of my kids (9, 10, 12, and 13) really liked HISTA. We did it for the first time in August and all of us thought it was a hoot. If you have done it before, you would probably agree it would not be as fun the second time around. If you haven't done it before, I would recommend you schedule it for your trip next week. The lines are pretty short all day and so it is a good ride to do mid-day or early evening when other lines are long. It is right next to Space Mtn.

HydroGuy said:
HISTA = Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

All four of my kids (9, 10, 12, and 13) really liked HISTA. We did it for the first time in August and all of us thought it was a hoot. If you have done it before, you would probably agree it would not be as fun the second time around. If you haven't done it before, I would recommend you schedule it for your trip next week. The lines are pretty short all day and so it is a good ride to do mid-day or early evening when other lines are long. It is right next to Space Mtn.

OMG, I can't believe I didn't get that one! It sounded like a federal agency! We have done it before but not in a long time. Since we have some time this trip (six days total) we'll probably go. Also we will want to take my parents to see it when they go with us (hopefully) to WDW in October. For some reason I always feel like this show isn't as good after the first time you see it. ITTBAB on the other hand I can see 2 or 3 times each trip and never get tired of it.

Amy&Dan said:
OMG, I can't believe I didn't get that one! It sounded like a federal agency! We have done it before but not in a long time. Since we have some time this trip (six days total) we'll probably go. Also we will want to take my parents to see it when they go with us (hopefully) to WDW in October. For some reason I always feel like this show isn't as good after the first time you see it. ITTBAB on the other hand I can see 2 or 3 times each trip and never get tired of it.
OK, did you make that up, or is it a real attraction?

I agree on hitting Fantasyland early! Then towards the end of that split up and have someone go get your fast pass for Space Mountain or Matterhorn. Have fun. You really can get alot done in one day.

Does anyone have a DL jargon dictionary? I thought there was some kind of outbreak at Disneyland where somebody caught a bad case of HISTA or ITTBAB. And watch out for the POTC virus...it'll make you feel like you're on Happy Days. (Potsie = POTC, Ha!).

With HISTA and ITTBAB in some of the previous posts, it would be great for us newbies and lurkers to have some reference material(ie dictionary).

clyde said:
Does anyone have a DL jargon dictionary? I thought there was some kind of outbreak at Disneyland where somebody caught a bad case of HISTA or ITTBAB. And watch out for the POTC virus...it'll make you feel like you're on Happy Days. (Potsie = POTC, Ha!).

With HISTA and ITTBAB in some of the previous posts, it would be great for us newbies and lurkers to have some reference material(ie dictionary).
The acronym meanings are a secret! If we told you we would have to shoot you! ;)

I did a search and found a list which includes WDW apparently. Check this out: http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm. But don't tell anybody else about this list. And don't tell them it was me who gave you the link! ;)

If I would have known about the list, I would have known what ITTBAB is. :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter