Only one day at Disneyland - WHAT to do?

JenJen said:
Soaring is 40 inches
So how tall is an average four-year old? I would bet 40 inches, because I think I saw some kiddos about that age on Soarin.

HydroGuy said:
So how tall is an average four-year old? I would bet 40 inches, because I think I saw some kiddos about that age on Soarin.

Probably about right. Our 4 1/2 year old is right at 50% height for his age and is 42 1/2.

And after reading the whole thread ...

We just went twice (July and August) with a 6 1/2 and a 4 1/2 (and a 7 month old). I would plan on your kids not making it the entire day at one go. It's possible, but on both of our trips we were able to head back to the hotel mid-day and crash (and the kids did crash ... especially the 4 1/2 year old). Some places to 'crash' at the park ... 50th Movie Theater, Snow White show, Tiki room, Golden Horseshoe, Disneyland Railroad ... all would give you (and any awake child) something to do while the kids that needed it could sleep. None are really long (although you woudl be able to stay on the railroad a long time if you wanted to), but doing a couple of these early afternoon to avoid the heat and rest might really help.

I am going to re-echo the Fantasyland first thing sugestion. Get there right after opening, and do Peter Pan and Dumbo as the first two, then probably the teacups, then any other ride there that the kids want to do.

From there, it really depends on whether this will be THE Disneyland trip for years, or if you think you will come back in the near future. If the latter, I strongly recommend taking it easy ... DON'T try to do everything (well, you couldn't do everything in a day anyway ... but you get the idea). Since you've never been, you may need to decide if you are going more for the kids or for you. If more for the kids, ask them what else they would like to do (parade, thrill type rides, shows, etc.) and go with that. If more the combo, do some of that, but also let them know occasionally that it is the parent's turn to choose.

There will be very few rides (unless your 4 1/2 year old is short) that will not work for both of your kids ... probably Indiana Jones is the only no go, maybe a couple of others.

As others have said, use the FP and use it effectively (getting them early is great ... you can use them any time after the beginning of the window, even though they put an ending time on it). Also, read up on the child swap on other posts on these boards ... just in case you do have rides that one of the two kids does not want to go on.

Good luck, and have fun!

In my opinion, HydroGuy's FastPass thesis should be required reading for anyone that only has one day to spend at Disneyland! Using FastPass strategically will save you a lot of time in lines.

With younger kids, there are some rides you can eliminate because of height restrictions, or becasue they are too intense. But even if you aren't trying to get on EVERY ride, it will still really help to have a detailed touring plan.

Looks like we are going for sure and I am so glad for all of your advice!! I can see how easy it is to get totally wrapped around the axle about all of this stuff, so I think we are aiming for a slow, fun day - no commando, do-the-whole-park-in-a-day, take-no-prisoners kind of visit!

THANKS again to everyone for your VERY genreous words of encouragement!

Bring on the magic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter