Ooops :D

If you mean the maps we posted. That is RV Trip Wizard and I signed up for it this year. It can send the directions to an app or create files to load into some GPS devices that support importing GPX files. I like it as you can set you travel time max, fuel distance and it will help you find locations to stop and fuel stops before you run out.

If you mean the maps we posted. That is RV Trip Wizard and I signed up for it this year. It can send the directions to an app or create files to load into some GPS devices that support importing GPX files. I like it as you can set you travel time max, fuel distance and it will help you find locations to stop and fuel stops before you run out.
I've got to play with it more apparently...had no idea I could set travel time or fuel distance! That'll help my friend Strawhouse and I out a lot as both of us are pulling trailers so we'll have different gas mileage

If you stay on 15 south through Point of Rocks, MD and follow it to either 17 or 3 you can avoid the beltway and traffic. We live right off 15 by I66 and usually take that route and get to I95 just north of Richmond! It has been worth the reroute for us.

I think this year I may try to leave early afternoon and get south of Richmond the night before the big push and shoot for St. Mary's KOA instead of Savannah South KOA....though we liked the pool at Savannah South so we might just go there again. Then we usually go for a long push the first day so we can get there early and relax the second.

This is our trip plan if we stop in savannah. First day is a long push to Savannah, usually leave around 6am, and we are on the road 10-12 hours depending on traffic and stops. The following day takes us around 5.5 to get to Disney. The return trip we are stopping to visit friends and will be going about 8 hours north to Santee Lake are then another 9 hours home from there 2 days later.

View attachment 550500

PS: I love RV Trip Wizard. I set my travel speed at 50mph, which is about what I average out when towing with bathroom breaks, etc.
I like the route suggestion...and I'm changing ours right now. It adds roughly 10 minutes

Yeah, setting up your MPG and fuel capacity and what you are willing to run is great. I also set an 8 hour limit though I will go further sometimes. The 8 hour limit at least gives me a good idea of where to stop, though after going to Disney or FL every year since 2010 by RV, I am well versed in places to stop.

It has helped with other trip planning like the outerbanks, and Smokie mountains.

Best to plan, i almost ran out of gas this year coming back from Hershey. Pulled off for gas, and couldn't make it over to the pumps. No where to turn around with the camper so back on the freeway untill the next station. Lol. I just make it. I swear the new truck was laughing at me.

Best to plan, i almost ran out of gas this year coming back from Hershey. Pulled off for gas, and couldn't make it over to the pumps. No where to turn around with the camper so back on the freeway untill the next station. Lol. I just make it. I swear the new truck was laughing at me.
I’m a huge planner. I literally turn on the satellite mode on the maps and follow the route and mark off gas stations. Not because I need to stop but just in case.

I’m a huge planner. I literally turn on the satellite mode on the maps and follow the route and mark off gas stations. Not because I need to stop but just in case.

This is my kinda planning :rotfl2:

I'm currently looking at a campground loop satellite view of a campground near Chitina, AK for a trip we hope to take in 2023. I'm currently on version 3 of the trip. I'm trying to keep it under 45 days and keep busting days because there's just so much we want to see.

This is my kinda planning :rotfl2:

I'm currently looking at a campground loop satellite view of a campground near Chitina, AK for a trip we hope to take in 2023. I'm currently on version 3 of the trip. I'm trying to keep it under 45 days and keep busting days because there's just so much we want to see.
Oh you haven’t seen the park spreadsheets yet LOL. Those get down to the second depending on the park. They even include how long it takes to walk from on attraction to the other. Now I don’t normally follow them 100% and will fly by the seat of my pants depending on the crowd size but for parks like HS, I like to have a robust plan knowing that everyone else will also be there.

We plan like that for the bigger trips with kids and multiple families. When it's just my wife and I or us and the kids it's less planned to the minute and more planned to hour. We are also DVC members so we kind of have an incentive to go every year which I feel takes a lot of pressure off seeing everything. However, this summer we are going by RV to say at FW with another family. We will be a party of 10, these are dear close friends and part of a very small group we still visit with and see during the pandemic. I am hoping by summer the vaccine will have made a big impact to our plan to go in July.

Our group went from 4 to 2 today. Two of our friends had to back out due to other commitments that got moved due to Covid. I'm sad they won't be joining us but it should still be a great trip! Now to shuffle around our travel plans to accommodate only one vehicle instead of two.

Dam Covid, its runing our relationship with our Canadian neighbors!
Hope it still works out for you. We will miss you all again this year. I still may try and swing by disney next year to say hi! You never know......
You're more than welcome to swing by! Yes Covid is getting frustrating for those of us who cross that border regularly!

We were supposed to go in Sept as well, but we got moved up to February!

And um....it takes us that long to drive from Texas. But we do have 4 kids in the car so it takes many many stops. I am hoping we can really book it there, but I think 10 hour days might be a stretch.
I was wondering if the RV app is any good. I think Google Maps is ok- but I want to take some other trips that would take us off some back roads and I think y'all sold me on the ability to put mpg in! We got down to our last 10 miles on this last trip when our MPG dropped quickly after hitting some hills, we don't want to do THAT again!

I love your planner too, maybe I'll try Evernote again instead of my spreadsheets. I use the T0uring Plans app while in the park because I like the walking times and ride times, it also tells you when lines drop lower in the day. It helps because we often have plans change due to potty breaks or hungry kids or whatever, so it helps me be flexible while having a bit of plan.

@rideswithchrist - I been happy with RV Trip Wizard so far and its pairing with the RV life app. I like that if you put in your MPG and fuel capacity it will give you warnings for fuel. So I usually set a 'must fuel by' stop near either a planned lunch or overnight stop to refuel and keep going. The RV life app can pull up the trip wizard planning routing and then set it on its way. They give you a free trial so if you have a trip coming up try it out and see what you think before paying the money to subscribe for a year.

It's true traveling with kids slow things down some, I count ourselves lucky my step daughters travel well when we are on the road. I feel if we I where going the same distance as Texas to FL, I would not push so hard on the road and just plan multiple days. And make sure where we stop has a chance for everyone to stretch their legs.

I guess being a little older than many of you, my kidneys are a great reminder for fuel stops and such.
With a hundred gals. of diesel in the pusher and about 10 gal/hr., I'm never gonna run low on fuel.
Can't go that many hours, without stretching my legs!!

Making the move from a fifth wheel to a Motorhome, now DW can go whenever she needs to, it will be a matter of whom can hold out longer, the dog or I for our stops. But agree, my legs get stiff and after a couple hours, I need a good stretch.

With my old truck stretching wasnt a problem, between food , barhroom and fuel we stopped like every hour. Lol. New truck will not have those limitations, but my daughter will still need the food and bathroom. Shes a bit older now so wer can go for longer between stops.

As the lone driver and principle planner for little group, I have found certain guides to be very helpful. Like, long haul truckers were studied in the mid 70's and it was discovered they nearly all averaged a speed of 51 mph while traveling That includes the obvious times when they were stopped for various reasons. That still holds true today.
A 15 min stop every 2 hours or so for Food, Fuel, Potty Stop or to just get out and walk around a bit keeps everyone happier.
Google Maps Earthview is my friend when checking out potential and never been to fuel stops along the way.
Travel after 4 pm is not in our plans. The Girls like to eat at about 4:30 and Katie gets antsy if not fed on time. Also as we head to and from Disney in Dec/Jan I get to our hook ups while it is still light out.
The old adage If it ain't broke don't fix it. What has worked well in the past is very likely to to now as well. We will try new places and things but also schedule extra time for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter