Opinions on using cash or credit card at Disney.

I would never carry that much cash, a little on me, some back in the room perhaps, paying with the MagicBands or credit cards. Skimmers are very unlikely on WDW credit card gear, and even if stolen, credit cards offer very good fraud protection. I wouldn't use cash unless the entire system was down and I really needed whatever I was buying. Credit cards are currently more secure than ever, debit cards are even pretty secure though I'd never use one unless I had no other option. Money skimmed off a debit card is far harder to replace. Even cash lost doesn't expose the rest of your money like a stolen debit card does.

Matt

I would never carry that much cash, a little on me, some back in the room perhaps, paying with the MagicBands or credit cards. Skimmers are very unlikely on WDW credit card gear, and even if stolen, credit cards offer very good fraud protection. I wouldn't use cash unless the entire system was down and I really needed whatever I was buying. Credit cards are currently more secure than ever, debit cards are even pretty secure though I'd never use one unless I had no other option. Money skimmed off a debit card is far harder to replace. Even cash lost doesn't expose the rest of your money like a stolen debit card does.

Matt

Mine has been competmised before and one or two things happen 1. The charge does not go through

2. The money is put back on my card in 24 hrs

Some of these post are just more reasons for me not to add my debit credit card to my MB

Yes be very careful any time you are out of town for a few days with your debit card. I have learned that lesson the hard way. They often do not refund the charges until they investigate any fraudulent charges, so you might see part of your paycheck get tied up with that nonsense. If you're at home you'd probably be ok but on vacation you could get stuck in quite a mess.

I'm confident that in today's environment WD, like other hotels, has at least one back up system if their main system goes down. Otherwise how would you enter your rm safe to get to the cash you've squirreled away there...not to mention the room itself?

I'm confident that in today's environment WD, like other hotels, has at least one back up system if their main system goes down. Otherwise how would you enter your rm safe to get to the cash you've squirreled away there...not to mention the room itself?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...not-assume-your-magic-band-will-work.3393608/

Just one of the threads about the system being down and Magic Bands not working. The rooms and in-room safes aren't tied to the payment system, so that's really not a concern. But there have been many reports where people couldn't use their dining plan credits because the system was down, or they didn't have cash on them and the credit card/magic band reader system was down, so they couldn't pay for their food.

Also these 2 posts from about a month ago in another more recent thread...

Warning!

Last year on a Friday evening there were LOTS of whiny guests at t food booths when the entire Tragic Band system went down. Those of us with other payment methods had much shorter lines thanks to this.

Never trust Disney's IT and bring a back up payment method LOL!

YES! Suggest always carry another payment form just in case!!
Last year during our visit, had a bad storm, lightening must have taken out something because most of the booths had to go to cash only for a few hours even after the storm passed!
Also..... if the booth does stay open during a storm they won't use the magic band or credit system due to all the wiring etc! (that was what a CM told us when we had to use cash).

https://www.disboards.com/threads/food-wine-festival.3616536/page-3#post-57890284

You would think Disney's IT would have a back-up plan in place for issues like this. Then again, you'd also think a company like Disney would have a more user-friendly website than the Disney website is.

Mine has been competmised before and one or two things happen 1. The charge does not go through

2. The money is put back on my card in 24 hrs

You have one of the better banks, many of them are not so helpful in this regard. Remember, with credit, it's the credit card company's money that is at stake, they are very motivated. With debit, it's your money, they don't care quite as much.

Matt

Always use a credit card directly or linked to MB ..I do carry at least one credit card on me as a backup anyway.

Never use a debit card, if that gets compromised that's your actual money and you have to wait to get it back and usually the dispute process involves some paperwork.

With a good credit card I can have a replacement in hand mailed priority over night and my actual cash is never at risk (and the fraudulent charges are removed right away) of course in the meantime you can use other cards.

I use both. CC for larger purchases, hotels, meals, gasoline, rental cars (when I get them) and have cash for the small food cart items when in the parks. I like to have a hard copy of things that I bought which is why I like using my CC's. I don't take a lot of cash, maybe $100.00 or so, but, have used an ATM to get cash via my Debit card. There is a small charge for using them but I don't have to worry about having cash stolen in large amounts. That is something that once it is lost or stolen, is gone forever.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...not-assume-your-magic-band-will-work.3393608/

Just one of the threads about the system being down and Magic Bands not working. The rooms and in-room safes aren't tied to the payment system, so that's really not a concern. But there have been many reports where people couldn't use their dining plan credits because the system was down, or they didn't have cash on them and the credit card/magic band reader system was down, so they couldn't pay for their food.

Also these 2 posts from about a month ago in another more recent thread...

https://www.disboards.com/threads/food-wine-festival.3616536/page-3#post-57890284

You would think Disney's IT would have a back-up plan in place for issues like this. Then again, you'd also think a company like Disney would have a more user-friendly website than the Disney website is.

Good to know when I attend the F+W events although I can see how a pop up stand might not have all the bells and whistles of the hotel itself. Still customers don't want reality to enter the experience so hopefully in the future they'll be able to get around this somehow.

In the amen corner for MDE. The need to go to an outside source to find a reservation finder that allows you to search for a dining ressie for up to 10 days is a something the Fab Five et al should have incorporated. Nice for the entrepreneurs who saw a hole and filled it though.

Let's hope that the experiences of the 2015 thread are things of the past for that platform. Now you've made me interested and I think I'll make a few calls come Monday. I enjoy keeping my hand in the hospitality industry just to keep the grey cells going:).

We link a cc to our magic bands, and DH carries some cash, but not a lot. We do have a back up credit card just in case, but we've never had to use it thank goodness. No debit cards on vacation ever. We charge everything to the credit card and pay it off when we get home. We do keep track of how much we've spent, as the funds aren't unlimited.

You have one of the better banks, many of them are not so helpful in this regard. Remember, with credit, it's the credit card company's money that is at stake, they are very motivated. With debit, it's your money, they don't care quite as much.

Matt
When I actually use my debit card traveling it's only to remove cash. Unlike a credit card there are no legal protections that you'll get funds back if someone skims your debit card and I prefer not to be at the mercy of my bankers' moods.

I prefer taking cash, because I have a huve fear of my credit or debit card getting frozen (which seems to happen every trip, even after notifying my banks of travel plans). I'm curious, what do they authorize on your cc for checkin? I have a debit card on my account, which I will now be switxhing to a cc after readig previous comments. If we don't charge anything to our account, do they put any charges on it?

I prefer taking cash, because I have a huve fear of my credit or debit card getting frozen (which seems to happen every trip, even after notifying my banks of travel plans). I'm curious, what do they authorize on your cc for checkin? I have a debit card on my account, which I will now be switxhing to a cc after readig previous comments. If we don't charge anything to our account, do they put any charges on it?

They let you run up a certain amount based on the resort, so let's say 1000 for a moderate. Once you get close, they'll charge your card. Other places, like Universal's Loews hotels will place a hold $200 hold for each night, I usually ask for only $100 though.

And yes do switch to a credit card! Get yourself a nice travel or cash back card and gain a few rewards for your spending! Put it away once you get home if you don't like to use them day to day.

Edit 1500 to 1000

Last edited:
There have been cases of RFID scimmers at WDW. If your card has a chip, which most do now, get an RFID sleeve or wallet.
We usually use gift cards, with one cc linked to the MB. I also usually take $100-200 cash that I spread throughout my luggage, with some of it $5 for tips. My debit card I usually only use to go to the ATM if needed. My credit union is exceptionally anal about using the debit card out of state, and will freeze it, which then I have the hassle to unfreeze it. I like that they look out for me, but it can be really annoying, so just easier to have cash, but not too much.

You can do a combination. Put a CC on your MB account so you can charge everything to your room. It is so convenient, especially for F&W festival booths. No digging for a card or cash. Then if you want to pay with gift cards or cash, just store it in the safe and go down to the concierge desk and make payments everyday. You can also just go down and request a printout of your charges whenever you want to keep track. I do carry my Disney VISA (for the character photos and discounts) and about $20-40 just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter