Orchids!

gina2000

anonymous
Anyone grow them? My FIL's neighbor does. He has some beauties! I've always wanted to try them, but I'm a dud with indoor plants....and these guys are supposed to be tempermental!

Anyone have any successes with them?

Another dud with indoor plants. It's silk plants and flowers indoors for this gardener. Just starting seedling is a challange here.

Buy the way I have your tomato seeds, e-mail me your address and they will be on the way.

ACtually, I have a friend who grows orchids on her porch, and she thinks they are VERY easy! Moisture in the air is supposed to be the key. Also light soil that drains well. They don't like wet feet. I think if you can grow African violets, you can grow orchids much the same way.

DH wouldn't mind trying his hand at growing orchids, he's quite fascinated by them. It might happen someday, when/if he ever retires! :)

I have had awful luck with orchids in the past. I have one of the easy varieties now. I got it to bloom around Oct. of this year and it lasted until just the other day. It's next to the kitchen sink where it gets plenty of light and moisture. I used orchid liquid fertilizer mixed into the water.
They're so interesting to look at. Here's a link to my first bloom.

first orchid to survive & bloom

I have a Phalenopsis that I have had for years but have never been able to get it to bloom again. This past year, we put in a garden window and I moved it out there. Well, low and behold, I now have a flower stalk with 6 or 7 buds on it! DH thinks I have lost my mind because I went and bought a warm wir humidfier just for my flowers, but hey, they are doing great! I will post a pic or two once it blooms. Oh, I also use a weak fertilizer solution every time I water and it is "planted" in wood chips, not soil.

Mine's a Phalaenopsis too. I was so excited when I got it to bloom. Looking back I was prob doing everything wrong.
36868orchid-3252-2c-med.jpg

from the tag that came with it:
Filtered light or early morning light is best. Avoid full sun and strong drafts.
Water weekly but never soggy. Overwatering shortens flower life.
Temp: most homes provide temps in the optimum range
Fertilize: slow release or half strength regular. Never feed while in bloom.
Potting: an epiphytic orchid mix

DEB_beautiful orchid congratulations on the rebloom!...do you have another pic of it? One that the leaves show better on? I think it may have been tagged wrong it looks more like a dendrobium. That may be why you had a harder time getting it to rebloom. If it is a den you are doing GREAT!!!they are harder to get to rebloom that alot of orchids because of light requirements so pat yourself on the back!

anabibus.jpg

this is a phal or moth orchid

pshil.jpg

I have about 25 orchids, right now in bloom I have a oncidium just had 2 paphs finish.

I am terrible at linking to my own pics but here is one like the one I have in bloom.

Onc%20Sherry%20baby.jpg

some orchids are easier to rebllom than others.

Phals being among the easiest. I don't do anything special just water and feed at 1/4 strenght.

You should try them they are not as difficult to grow as you think.

Just do not overwater.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/orchid.html

Good Luck

Mal

dendrobium or Lei orchid leaf

ainahawaii_1832_6854559

phal or moth orchid leaf

SH7.jpg

somethings to remember when buying an orchid

if the leaves are limp don't buy
any streaks or black spots on leaves could be a virus stay away

My goodness, Mal! Those orchids are magnificent!

Me thinks I'm going to have to try this out!

start with a Phal make sure as I said that the leaves are firm not limp no streaks or spots. Although some have purple spots that are part of their coloration. I am talking black, brown or yellow. Also look for mealys and scale orchids are hard to get rid of bugs and don't take to anything of the remmies for these except good old soap and water.

Phals bloom for about 3 months and will rebloom from the same inflorensce if cut back to above the second or third nodule..

The best orchid food you can buy is dyna grow.

http://130.94.75.33/showthread.php?t=580991

going to link you to another thread with all the info.

Good Luck and let me know how you fair!

Mal

Male, thank you!!! I don't have a pic with more of the leaves I think I delated them. After reading your suggestion and seeing your pic I did some searches for it. Sure enough I found a pic of "Jaquelyn Thomas" that looks a lot like mine. Hard to tell, I couldn't find a close up. My leaves do look like that of a denbrodium.
Again thank you for identifying my orchid!
Doin another bloomin happy dance :flower: :rotfl:

dendrobium1.jpg

The New York Botanical garden is having their orchid show this week. Wish I could go.

I was in a Home Depot this past weekend and they had just received a shipment of assorted Phalaenopsis Orchids. They were absolutely beautiful and so perfect, too! I was very tempted to buy one but I figured that it probably wouldn't last long in my care. ;) They reminded me of the orchids on the Polynesian's lobby waterfall.

I love the phal, Mal! Me thinks I'll head out this weekend! Such good advice.....I'm sure not to kill it too soon!!!!

I grow my orchids outside since I live in So Fla. They are really easy to grow. Mist them every few days. Water once a week and feed every 2 months.

TalkingHands, How fortunate you are to live in a climate where you can grow them outside year round. :flower:
What else do you grow? Bannana tree by chance? I've always wanted to grow one but NJ is too far from the tropics for that:sunny:

Do you happen to have pics of your orchids? We love seeing flower pics.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter