Orlando Airport Security Screening last weekend - getting worse not better

ParrotBill

Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me
Airport Sunday morning at 6am... HORRENDOUS security lines, worst I've ever seen. They deflected us to the farther entrances only to find those lines were much longer because they snaked back to the first set of entrances.

It took an hour to get through security. People barking loudly at us the whole time about liquids, laptops and shoes. OK, OK, we heard it the first 40 times, we've been here 45 minutes. And yet, so many people so unprepared for security. How did they not learn from the flight down? They funneled people from 2 separate luggage scanning lines into one people scanning line... and both backed up badly. People did not respect a line queued for the scanner and felt they had the right to step in front of the queue to enter the scanner. A guy with hat and sunglasses gets in the scanner. And has stuff in his pockets. And despite these fancy scanners, it seems almost everyone has to be patted down even after going through them. So many people without a proper 3-1-1 bag for liquids and liquids larger than allowed. Really?

ME pickup was 5am, dropped us at airport 5:45, security screening 6-7am, flight 8am so just enough time for breakfast before boarding.

Is it just because Sunday is a busy day? What is everyone seeing?

I flew home from MCO late January. I have to say that it was one of the easiest security experiences I've had. I 'think' we got there around noonish. The lines weren't bad at all. In fact, it was as if they had maybe three lines, in addition to the PreCheck line. I should have been in the precheck line, but decided to go through regular security with my dd. We were in the main line for about 5 mins. When we got to the TSA guy, he looked at me and told me I should be in the precheck line. Yeah I know...just being a nice mom. He said that once we got past the dog, it would be just like precheck anyway. Okay...no idea what he meant, but moved to the longer line in front of me, after he okayed our boarding passes. After about 5 mins, I saw what he had meant...there was a working dog, and handler, working our line! They were telling us, over and over, keep your shoes on, nothing comes out of the carry on bag, etc. Kind of amazing that when we got to the security screener, a ton of people were still taking their shoes off, removing iPads, 3-1-1 baggies!! Which made the agents yell again!!!
But all in all, it moved quite nicely. I was through in about 15 mins!

We flew home early March and the lines were crazy. Even the precheck line was long. Yes, the agents were walking the line telling people to be prepared with ID, tickets, and then other info after the check agent. We were in the precheck line, so were done in about 15 minutes. The regular line looked horrible. We leave tomorrow and traveling with non-precheck family members. Guessing the grandkids will hang with us and we'll catch up, hopefully before the flight leaves, with the other members of our family.

We were there in February with an early evening flight. I'd say we were at the airport around 4pm. The security line looked really short so we went to grab a bite to eat and returned no more than 20 minutes later and it was completely insane. It took at least 45 minutes to get through. That's the first time I'd ever experienced a wait like that before. My 4 year old did not manage well and by the time we were going throug the scanners he lost it and freaked out because they needed to send his stuffed dog through the x-ray. And he would not walk through on his own so I had to carry him extended away from my body screaming and crying. I have to say though the TSA agents were awesome with him so that was a bit of a silver lining.

Hoping for a little shorter wait next time around, but we'll see.

Deb Wills is there now (or a short time ago)...she said it was miserable!!! Hugely long lines.

That is disappointing to hear. We had an awesome experience in October, one of the easiest times ever at MCO. Wonder why things have gone so far downhill.

I saw a report on the news that were warning travelers about the delays. They were saying its from a recent decrease of tsa agents combined with more people carrying on their luggage. One airport said that many travelers were missing their flights daily because of the delays. Not good news. I fly out tomorrow morning out of Baltimore. I got a message from SW this week asking that folks arrive at least 2 hours before their flights now because of the delays.

We received a notice from JetBlue to expect longer lines at security for our April and to arrive 2 hours earlier.

Well, I sure hope that all those folks, who feel arriving an hour prior to their flight is ok, are seeing this!!

That is disappointing to hear. We had an awesome experience in October, one of the easiest times ever at MCO. Wonder why things have gone so far downhill.

I think it depends on timing. I went through security mid-afternoon in December and there were small lines. Other times they were long. Last weekend probably had people finishing their school break week.

I find the early morning flights have the longest lines so I tend to fly into and out of Orlando International about noon or early afternoon. I have TSA Precheck and rarely have a line and the regular lines seem to very short at that time of day also. Last weekend here in NY was the start of school break for the public schools too.

Well, I sure hope that all those folks, who feel arriving an hour prior to their flight is ok, are seeing this!!

Me too. I know all my friends that fly for work often are now in the habit of building in some extra time when making travel plans and that even includes choosing flights with 2 hour+ connecting times. One told me that his job is stressful enough that he doesn't need to add more just getting there in the first place.

I think it's mostly the weekends - way more tourists traveling. We were there on Tuesday, 4/26 around noon. We breezed right through.

It's so frustrating standing in long lines as the TSA constantly repeats the same thing "empty pockets, the liquids rule, the shoes and belt thing" and still people get to the scanner and ignore it all. No wonder there are delays!

Some people are just massive idiots in airports. They leave their brains at home on the kitchen counter before they go.

This past Monday I was at MCO flying to Anaheim and some guy approached me in the handicapped security line asking if we could "be together" because his flight was boarding in 20 minutes. Um, I'm gonna go with no?

I've always had the worse experiences with MCO security. They simply do not handle crowds well at all.
We fly out of Atlanta, a much, much busier airport and never have any problems or delays.
I'd say the reason folks aren't prepared is MCO doesn't seem to operate in a way that other airports do. They go in thinking they can proceed like they did at departure and MCO doesn't seem to work like they do. I don't quite get why it's so bad or what the fix is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter