Oscar Nominations

I have seen Barbie and the Holdovers. I loved Barbie and I think that both Margot and Ryan should have been nominated both were adorable. The Holdovers was good but not what I expected. I bawled throughout the whole 2nd half of the movie. It was a good movie and the 3 main characters were great I watched it on Peacock.

Barbie was okay; I didn’t love it. It had some fun scenes and good messages, but just didn’t connect with me I guess. Really liked Maestro. Very well-done IMO, with outstanding performances by both Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan. Haven’t seen any of the rest yet. Will probably watch Oppenheimer this weekend.

I hate that they continue to nominate 10 movies in this category.

Yes. It's a silly exercise, because while it includes more mainstream movies that people saw, most don't really have a chance to win. If you look at Best Directing, that's the short list. I know Best Picture doesn't always match, but it's a good indication of where it will lean.

I think it's more for the other movies being able advertise they are Oscar nominees. We all know that the movie that wins is usually one that the least amount of the general public will see, as the Academy likes to pick "important" movies as the winner.

More popular movies being nominated helps the Oscars seem they are more in touch with general audiences, (even if the movies don't win.) And those movies get the boost of being able to advertise they are Oscar nominees. A somewhat win-win for all.

Last edited:

I think it's more for the other movies being able advertise they are Oscar nominees. We all know that the movie that wins is usually one that the least amount of the general public will see, as the Academy likes to pick "important" movies as the winner.

More popular movies being nominated helps the Oscars seem they are more in touch with general audiences, (even if the movies don't win.) And those movies get the boost of being able to advertise they are Oscar nominees. A somewhat win-win for all.
I agree with you. Ten "Best Picture" nominees is a money grab. Not merit, not the "best" picture, just a response to the criticism from producers and studios that the Academy usually nominates "important" movies that people don't pay to see.

So now the Academy adds five films that are more popular and that boosts the viewers of the show.

And that's exactly why I hate that they continue nominating ten film for best picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter